MS Excel

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gib Bogle, Sep 11, 2011.

  1. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    When I bought a new machine a few months ago with 64-bit Windows 7, I
    also bought a non-commercial copy of MS Office Home and Student 2010.
    I've gradually become aware that some of the behaviours I'm used to with
    Excel are not there any more. These are small things, but annoying.
    E.g. I'm used to being able to enter a number into a cell then just hit
    an arrow key to go the the next cell. This doesn't work any more. I
    have to either hit Enter or click in the next cell. Another thing I
    expect to be able to do is select the values in a column by clicking in
    the top cell then holding the shift key down either use the Down arrow
    or End + Down arrow (to go to the end). This doesn't work. The Down
    arrow alone does nothing, while End selects everything on the screen
    below and to the right of the starting cell.

    Does this mean that MS Excel has changed the way it does things (which
    would be brain-dead, IMO), or is this non-commercial version crippled?
    Either way I'm not impressed, unless someone can point out something
    that I'm missing.

    Thanks!

    Gib Bogle, Sep 11, 2011

  2. On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 19:35:00 +1200, Gib Bogle <>
    wrote:

    >When I bought a new machine a few months ago with 64-bit Windows 7, I
    >also bought a non-commercial copy of MS Office Home and Student 2010.
    >I've gradually become aware that some of the behaviours I'm used to with
    >Excel are not there any more. These are small things, but annoying.
    >E.g. I'm used to being able to enter a number into a cell then just hit
    >an arrow key to go the the next cell. This doesn't work any more. I
    >have to either hit Enter or click in the next cell. Another thing I
    >expect to be able to do is select the values in a column by clicking in
    >the top cell then holding the shift key down either use the Down arrow
    >or End + Down arrow (to go to the end). This doesn't work. The Down
    >arrow alone does nothing, while End selects everything on the screen
    >below and to the right of the starting cell.
    >
    >Does this mean that MS Excel has changed the way it does things (which
    >would be brain-dead, IMO), or is this non-commercial version crippled?
    >Either way I'm not impressed, unless someone can point out something
    >that I'm missing.
    >
    >Thanks!

    In LibreOffice 3.4.1, all of those work except End + Down arrow (which
    just does Down arrow).

    Stephen Worthington, Sep 11, 2011

  3. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 11/09/2011 9:09 p.m., Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > In LibreOffice 3.4.1, all of those work except End + Down arrow (which
    > just does Down arrow).

    Is that a version of MS Office? If not, why are you telling me?

    Gib Bogle, Sep 11, 2011
  4. On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 21:18:09 +1200, Gib Bogle <>
    wrote:

    >On 11/09/2011 9:09 p.m., Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >
    >> In LibreOffice 3.4.1, all of those work except End + Down arrow (which
    >> just does Down arrow).

    >Is that a version of MS Office? If not, why are you telling me?

    No, it is not MS Office. But LibreOffice does produce MS Office
    compatible files if required, and it does do some of what you want.
    And it is free, so you can try it and see if it works better for you
    than your current MS Office version.

    Stephen Worthington, Sep 11, 2011
  5. Gib Bogle

    Murray Symon Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:

    > When I bought a new machine a few months ago with 64-bit Windows 7, I
    > also bought a non-commercial copy of MS Office Home and Student 2010.
    > I've gradually become aware that some of the behaviours I'm used to with
    > Excel are not there any more. These are small things, but annoying.
    > E.g. I'm used to being able to enter a number into a cell then just hit
    > an arrow key to go the the next cell. This doesn't work any more. I
    > have to either hit Enter or click in the next cell. Another thing I
    > expect to be able to do is select the values in a column by clicking in
    > the top cell then holding the shift key down either use the Down arrow
    > or End + Down arrow (to go to the end). This doesn't work. The Down
    > arrow alone does nothing, while End selects everything on the screen
    > below and to the right of the starting cell.
    >
    > Does this mean that MS Excel has changed the way it does things (which
    > would be brain-dead, IMO), or is this non-commercial version crippled?
    > Either way I'm not impressed, unless someone can point out something
    > that I'm missing.
    >
    > Thanks!

    In much older versions of Excel (or similar spreadsheets) this
    behaviour was configurable by an option setting. I can remember
    having to make the change to the setting. Maybe they have changed
    the default behaviour, but check if there is a setting to change.

    Murray Symon, Sep 11, 2011
  6. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 11/09/2011 9:39 p.m., Murray Symon wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:

    > In much older versions of Excel (or similar spreadsheets) this
    > behaviour was configurable by an option setting. I can remember
    > having to make the change to the setting. Maybe they have changed
    > the default behaviour, but check if there is a setting to change.

    Thanks. As usual with this sort of thing, the hard part is knowing what
    question to ask the help system.

    Gib Bogle, Sep 11, 2011
  7. Gib Bogle

    Me Guest

    On 11/09/2011 7:35 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > When I bought a new machine a few months ago with 64-bit Windows 7, I
    > also bought a non-commercial copy of MS Office Home and Student 2010.
    > I've gradually become aware that some of the behaviours I'm used to with
    > Excel are not there any more. These are small things, but annoying. E.g.
    > I'm used to being able to enter a number into a cell then just hit an
    > arrow key to go the the next cell. This doesn't work any more. I have to
    > either hit Enter or click in the next cell. Another thing I expect to be
    > able to do is select the values in a column by clicking in the top cell
    > then holding the shift key down either use the Down arrow or End + Down
    > arrow (to go to the end). This doesn't work. The Down arrow alone does
    > nothing, while End selects everything on the screen below and to the
    > right of the starting cell.
    >
    > Does this mean that MS Excel has changed the way it does things (which
    > would be brain-dead, IMO), or is this non-commercial version crippled?
    > Either way I'm not impressed, unless someone can point out something
    > that I'm missing.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Toggle this on and of with the "end" key.

    Me, Sep 11, 2011
  8. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 11/09/2011 10:58 p.m., Me wrote:
    > On 11/09/2011 7:35 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> When I bought a new machine a few months ago with 64-bit Windows 7, I
    >> also bought a non-commercial copy of MS Office Home and Student 2010.
    >> I've gradually become aware that some of the behaviours I'm used to with
    >> Excel are not there any more. These are small things, but annoying. E.g.
    >> I'm used to being able to enter a number into a cell then just hit an
    >> arrow key to go the the next cell. This doesn't work any more. I have to
    >> either hit Enter or click in the next cell. Another thing I expect to be
    >> able to do is select the values in a column by clicking in the top cell
    >> then holding the shift key down either use the Down arrow or End + Down
    >> arrow (to go to the end). This doesn't work. The Down arrow alone does
    >> nothing, while End selects everything on the screen below and to the
    >> right of the starting cell.
    >>
    >> Does this mean that MS Excel has changed the way it does things (which
    >> would be brain-dead, IMO), or is this non-commercial version crippled?
    >> Either way I'm not impressed, unless someone can point out something
    >> that I'm missing.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > Toggle this on and of with the "end" key.

    Thanks Me! I wonder where (if) that's documented.

    Gib Bogle, Sep 11, 2011
  9. Gib Bogle

    Your Name Guest

    In article <j4hoc0$7nn$>, Gib Bogle
    <> wrote:

    > When I bought a new machine a few months ago with 64-bit Windows 7, I
    > also bought a non-commercial copy of MS Office Home and Student 2010.
    > I've gradually become aware that some of the behaviours I'm used to with
    > Excel are not there any more. These are small things, but annoying.
    > E.g. I'm used to being able to enter a number into a cell then just hit
    > an arrow key to go the the next cell. This doesn't work any more. I
    > have to either hit Enter or click in the next cell. Another thing I
    > expect to be able to do is select the values in a column by clicking in
    > the top cell then holding the shift key down either use the Down arrow
    > or End + Down arrow (to go to the end). This doesn't work. The Down
    > arrow alone does nothing, while End selects everything on the screen
    > below and to the right of the starting cell.
    >
    > Does this mean that MS Excel has changed the way it does things (which
    > would be brain-dead, IMO), or is this non-commercial version crippled?
    > Either way I'm not impressed, unless someone can point out something
    > that I'm missing.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Unfortunately it' not just Excel. Microsoft have corrupted all their
    applications with the dumbed-down new versions and most people have been
    complaining about it since they were released (of course, being Microsoft,
    they're never going to listen to anyone else).

    None of the Office applications have been that good to use for years
    thanks to continual over-bloating, but now they're simply incredibly awful
    and cumbersome ... everything has been changed, moved, and hidden away in
    ridiculous places, so it takes even longer to do anything. Even something
    simple like getting a TExt Box now takes "15" clicks of the mouse instead
    of just one click in older versions. :-(

    Your Name, Sep 11, 2011
  10. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 12/09/2011 9:20 a.m., Your Name wrote:

    > Unfortunately it' not just Excel. Microsoft have corrupted all their
    > applications with the dumbed-down new versions and most people have been
    > complaining about it since they were released (of course, being Microsoft,
    > they're never going to listen to anyone else).
    >
    > None of the Office applications have been that good to use for years
    > thanks to continual over-bloating, but now they're simply incredibly awful
    > and cumbersome ... everything has been changed, moved, and hidden away in
    > ridiculous places, so it takes even longer to do anything. Even something
    > simple like getting a TExt Box now takes "15" clicks of the mouse instead
    > of just one click in older versions. :-(

    This is exactly my impression! It is infuriating. Apart from being
    incredibly annoying, it also presents an interesting question from an
    academic point of view: what is it that has happened at MS to create
    this kind of devolution? The simplest explanation is that the need to
    sell new versions of the software forces them to make changes, and after
    the application has reached the stage of being very functional further
    changes are likely to move it away from the optimum. Another
    hypothesis: they have a good business going in teaching people how to
    use this stuff.

    I'm starting to be tempted to follow Stephen's suggestion and try
    LibreOffice or OpenOffice. Any opinions as to which is the better choice?

    Gib Bogle, Sep 11, 2011
  11. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 12/09/2011 9:51 a.m., Allistar wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:

    > At the moment they're pretty much the same. I believe LibreOffice to be the
    > better choice because I think it has a brighter future.
    >
    > And don't believe anyone that tells you it's fully compatible with
    > proprietary formats such a .doc or .docx. It will open and save simple file
    > in those formats with ease, but it disappoints when it comes to documents
    > that have any kind of drawings or images in them.

    I just installed LO and created a .xls with a chart. When I open it
    with Excel I get a dire warning about how editing this file might harm
    my computer. Heh. Might harm MS is more like it.

    Gib Bogle, Sep 11, 2011
  12. In article <>, (Your Name) wrote:
    >In article <j4hoc0$7nn$>, Gib Bogle
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> When I bought a new machine a few months ago with 64-bit Windows 7, I
    >> also bought a non-commercial copy of MS Office Home and Student 2010.
    >> I've gradually become aware that some of the behaviours I'm used to with
    >> Excel are not there any more. These are small things, but annoying.
    >> E.g. I'm used to being able to enter a number into a cell then just hit
    >> an arrow key to go the the next cell. This doesn't work any more. I
    >> have to either hit Enter or click in the next cell. Another thing I
    >> expect to be able to do is select the values in a column by clicking in
    >> the top cell then holding the shift key down either use the Down arrow
    >> or End + Down arrow (to go to the end). This doesn't work. The Down
    >> arrow alone does nothing, while End selects everything on the screen
    >> below and to the right of the starting cell.
    >> Does this mean that MS Excel has changed the way it does things (which
    >> would be brain-dead, IMO), or is this non-commercial version crippled?
    >> Either way I'm not impressed, unless someone can point out something
    >> that I'm missing.
    >> Thanks!

    >Unfortunately it' not just Excel. Microsoft have corrupted all their
    >applications with the dumbed-down new versions and most people have been
    >complaining about it since they were released (of course, being Microsoft,
    >they're never going to listen to anyone else).
    >None of the Office applications have been that good to use for years
    >thanks to continual over-bloating, but now they're simply incredibly awful
    >and cumbersome ... everything has been changed, moved, and hidden away in
    >ridiculous places, so it takes even longer to do anything. Even something
    >simple like getting a TExt Box now takes "15" clicks of the mouse instead
    >of just one click in older versions. :-(

    The quick bar is your friend here (cos everything else isn't IMO :) ).
    Put all the useful commands (ie things you do a few times every time) there
    ... it's about 1 screen width for me so works well.

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 12, 2011
  13. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <yourname-1209110920050001@203-118-184-
    101.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz>, , Your Name says...

    > In article <j4hoc0$7nn$>, Gib Bogle
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > When I bought a new machine a few months ago with 64-bit Windows 7, I
    > > also bought a non-commercial copy of MS Office Home and Student 2010.
    > > I've gradually become aware that some of the behaviours I'm used to with
    > > Excel are not there any more. These are small things, but annoying.
    > > E.g. I'm used to being able to enter a number into a cell then just hit
    > > an arrow key to go the the next cell. This doesn't work any more. I
    > > have to either hit Enter or click in the next cell. Another thing I
    > > expect to be able to do is select the values in a column by clicking in
    > > the top cell then holding the shift key down either use the Down arrow
    > > or End + Down arrow (to go to the end). This doesn't work. The Down
    > > arrow alone does nothing, while End selects everything on the screen
    > > below and to the right of the starting cell.
    > >
    > > Does this mean that MS Excel has changed the way it does things (which
    > > would be brain-dead, IMO), or is this non-commercial version crippled?
    > > Either way I'm not impressed, unless someone can point out something
    > > that I'm missing.
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > Unfortunately it' not just Excel. Microsoft have corrupted all their
    > applications with the dumbed-down new versions and most people have been
    > complaining about it since they were released (of course, being Microsoft,
    > they're never going to listen to anyone else).
    >
    > None of the Office applications have been that good to use for years
    > thanks to continual over-bloating, but now they're simply incredibly awful
    > and cumbersome ... everything has been changed, moved, and hidden away in
    > ridiculous places, so it takes even longer to do anything. Even something
    > simple like getting a TExt Box now takes "15" clicks of the mouse instead
    > of just one click in older versions. :-(

    Two clicks actually (Insert, Text Box). And it's certainly not
    cumbersome and definately not slow (by comparision with say LibreOffice
    - which is just horrendously slow to load up).

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Sep 12, 2011
  14. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , Allistar says...

    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    > > In article <yourname-1209110920050001@203-118-184-
    > > 101.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz>, , Your Name says...

    > >> Unfortunately it' not just Excel. Microsoft have corrupted all their
    > >> applications with the dumbed-down new versions and most people have been
    > >> complaining about it since they were released (of course, being
    > >> Microsoft, they're never going to listen to anyone else).
    > >>
    > >> None of the Office applications have been that good to use for years
    > >> thanks to continual over-bloating, but now they're simply incredibly
    > >> awful and cumbersome ... everything has been changed, moved, and hidden
    > >> away in ridiculous places, so it takes even longer to do anything. Even
    > >> something simple like getting a TExt Box now takes "15" clicks of the
    > >> mouse instead
    > >> of just one click in older versions. :-(

    > > Two clicks actually (Insert, Text Box). And it's certainly not
    > > cumbersome and definately not slow (by comparision with say LibreOffice
    > > - which is just horrendously slow to load up).

    > That's either platform/install dependant, or subjective. I get Calc and/or
    > Writer to start in less than 2 seconds when I fire them up for the first
    > time.

    It's hard to tell on my PC with Excel - yer click the button, it's
    there.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Sep 12, 2011
  15. Gib Bogle

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Allistar
    <> wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    > > On 12/09/2011 9:20 a.m., Your Name wrote:
    > >
    > >> Unfortunately it' not just Excel. Microsoft have corrupted all their
    > >> applications with the dumbed-down new versions and most people have been
    > >> complaining about it since they were released (of course, being
    > >> Microsoft, they're never going to listen to anyone else).
    > >>
    > >> None of the Office applications have been that good to use for years
    > >> thanks to continual over-bloating, but now they're simply incredibly
    > >> awful and cumbersome ... everything has been changed, moved, and hidden
    > >> away in ridiculous places, so it takes even longer to do anything. Even
    > >> something simple like getting a TExt Box now takes "15" clicks of the
    > >> mouse instead
    > >> of just one click in older versions. :-(

    > > This is exactly my impression! It is infuriating. Apart from being
    > > incredibly annoying, it also presents an interesting question from an
    > > academic point of view: what is it that has happened at MS to create
    > > this kind of devolution? The simplest explanation is that the need to
    > > sell new versions of the software forces them to make changes, and after
    > > the application has reached the stage of being very functional further
    > > changes are likely to move it away from the optimum. Another
    > > hypothesis: they have a good business going in teaching people how to
    > > use this stuff.
    > >
    > > I'm starting to be tempted to follow Stephen's suggestion and try
    > > LibreOffice or OpenOffice. Any opinions as to which is the better choice?

    > At the moment they're pretty much the same. I believe LibreOffice to be the
    > better choice because I think it has a brighter future.
    >
    > And don't believe anyone that tells you it's fully compatible with
    > proprietary formats such a .doc or .docx. It will open and save simple file
    > in those formats with ease, but it disappoints when it comes to documents
    > that have any kind of drawings or images in them.

    Yep, unfortunately the only way to be fully compatible with MS Office is
    to buy MS Office ... and even then it's not 100% guaranteed thanks to
    silly changes they make. I created a document for someone on my computer,
    took it in to their workplace which has a newer version of Office and the
    whole thing was a mess that I basically had to re-create. :-(

    Your Name, Sep 12, 2011
  16. Gib Bogle

    Your Name Guest

    In article <-september.org>, Dave
    Doe <> wrote:

    > In article <yourname-1209110920050001@203-118-184-
    > 101.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz>, , Your Name says...
    > >
    > > In article <j4hoc0$7nn$>, Gib Bogle
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > When I bought a new machine a few months ago with 64-bit Windows 7, I
    > > > also bought a non-commercial copy of MS Office Home and Student 2010.
    > > > I've gradually become aware that some of the behaviours I'm used to with
    > > > Excel are not there any more. These are small things, but annoying.
    > > > E.g. I'm used to being able to enter a number into a cell then just hit
    > > > an arrow key to go the the next cell. This doesn't work any more. I
    > > > have to either hit Enter or click in the next cell. Another thing I
    > > > expect to be able to do is select the values in a column by clicking in
    > > > the top cell then holding the shift key down either use the Down arrow
    > > > or End + Down arrow (to go to the end). This doesn't work. The Down
    > > > arrow alone does nothing, while End selects everything on the screen
    > > > below and to the right of the starting cell.
    > > >
    > > > Does this mean that MS Excel has changed the way it does things (which
    > > > would be brain-dead, IMO), or is this non-commercial version crippled?
    > > > Either way I'm not impressed, unless someone can point out something
    > > > that I'm missing.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks!

    > > Unfortunately it' not just Excel. Microsoft have corrupted all their
    > > applications with the dumbed-down new versions and most people have been
    > > complaining about it since they were released (of course, being Microsoft,
    > > they're never going to listen to anyone else).
    > >
    > > None of the Office applications have been that good to use for years
    > > thanks to continual over-bloating, but now they're simply incredibly awful
    > > and cumbersome ... everything has been changed, moved, and hidden away in
    > > ridiculous places, so it takes even longer to do anything. Even something
    > > simple like getting a TExt Box now takes "15" clicks of the mouse instead
    > > of just one click in older versions. :-(

    > Two clicks actually (Insert, Text Box). And it's certainly not
    > cumbersome and definately not slow (by comparision with say LibreOffice
    > - which is just horrendously slow to load up).

    Actually it's three clicks - first click the Insert tab, then click Text
    Box, then choose the type of Text Box. That's still three times more than
    one click needed in my old version. Plus some of the options are put in
    non-sensical, hard-to-find/see places.

    Of course, people will get used to the new version eventually ... and then
    Microsoft will screw it up again.

    Your Name, Sep 12, 2011
  17. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , Your Name says...

    > In article <-september.org>, Dave
    > Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <yourname-1209110920050001@203-118-184-
    > > 101.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz>, , Your Name says...

    > > > Unfortunately it' not just Excel. Microsoft have corrupted all their
    > > > applications with the dumbed-down new versions and most people have been
    > > > complaining about it since they were released (of course, being Microsoft,
    > > > they're never going to listen to anyone else).
    > > >
    > > > None of the Office applications have been that good to use for years
    > > > thanks to continual over-bloating, but now they're simply incredibly awful
    > > > and cumbersome ... everything has been changed, moved, and hidden away in
    > > > ridiculous places, so it takes even longer to do anything. Even something
    > > > simple like getting a TExt Box now takes "15" clicks of the mouse instead
    > > > of just one click in older versions. :-(

    > > Two clicks actually (Insert, Text Box). And it's certainly not
    > > cumbersome and definately not slow (by comparision with say LibreOffice
    > > - which is just horrendously slow to load up).

    > Actually it's three clicks - first click the Insert tab, then click Text
    > Box, then choose the type of Text Box. That's still three times more than
    > one click needed in my old version. Plus some of the options are put in
    > non-sensical, hard-to-find/see places.

    No, you don't have to choose the type of text box - so it's two clicks -
    a far cry from your orginal claim of "15" - even if it was a piss-take.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Sep 12, 2011
  18. In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >In article <yourname-1209111629180001@203-118-184-
    >229.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz>, , Your Name says...

    (snip)

    >> The point was it's more than it use to be because things have been changed
    >> with typical Microsoft non-sensical decisions, making it a lot more
    >> difficult and / or time-consuming to do something even reasonably simple.

    >I can't agree at all with that. They've put the most commonly used
    >commands in easy reach!

    I completely disagree. Pretty much everything that's "within easy reach"
    now is cosmetic and about 'the look of it' rather than the reality IMO (font
    colours, formats etc) ... not the useful things at all. Ah well ... mileages
    vary. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 12, 2011
  19. Gib Bogle

    Doe <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > , Your Name says...
    > >
    > > In article <-september.org>, Dave
    > > Doe <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > In article <yourname-1209110920050001@203-118-184-
    > > > 101.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz>, , Your Name says...

    to with

    just hit

    clicking in

    arrow

    (which

    crippled?

    Microsoft,

    incredibly awful

    away in

    something

    instead

    > > > Two clicks actually (Insert, Text Box). And it's certainly not
    > > > cumbersome and definately not slow (by comparision with say LibreOffice
    > > > - which is just horrendously slow to load up).

    > > Actually it's three clicks - first click the Insert tab, then click Text
    > > Box, then choose the type of Text Box. That's still three times more than
    > > one click needed in my old version. Plus some of the options are put in
    > > non-sensical, hard-to-find/see places.

    > No, you don't have to choose the type of text box - so it's two clicks -
    > a far cry from your orginal claim of "15" - even if it was a piss-take.

    If you say so. :-\

    Your Name, Sep 12, 2011
  20. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest