MS - exam combinations...

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Corey B., Jun 23, 2004.

  1. Corey B.

    Corey B. Guest

    I'm new to MS certifications, and it looks like my employer will pay
    for some of the costs, so I'm researching...anyway, wanted to ask the
    more experienced folks a couple of questions.

    First, are there restrictions in combining exams for multiple
    certifications. For example, say the track I wanted to follow for the
    MCDBA included exams 70-228 (core), 70-229(core), 70-215(core), and
    70-216(elect.). These four exams also fall under the MCSE track (228
    and 229 are electives under MCSE, and 215 & 216 are core). So if I
    pass the four exams for the MCDBA, does this mean I can also count all
    four of these towards the MCSE (4 out of 7). Or does MS have
    restrictions on what can be used for multiple certifications?

    Secondly - what method would be best? Take classes? Or get the
    books, and go on my own. I know different people learn differently,
    etc. I have about 3 years of SQL Server experience (some admin &
    design, but mostly development & SQL), and lots of experience with
    general windows (not a lot of server or active directory experience,
    mainly workstation).

    Corey B., Jun 23, 2004

  2. Corey B.

    Consultant Guest

    1. yes
    2. depends on your learning aptitude. do you learn better via self study or
    do you need to be handheld. if your company is floating the bill, take some
    classes.

    Consultant, Jun 23, 2004

  3. Corey B.

    Neil Guest

    (Corey B.) wrote in

    item 1. www.microsoft.com/learning is your friend

    > First, are there restrictions in combining exams for multiple
    > certifications.

    <snipedydoda>

    no, the exams can be used for multiple certs.

    > Secondly - what method would be best? Take classes? Or get the
    > books, and go on my own. I know different people learn differently,
    > etc.

    <snipatola>

    yup, everybody learns differently. so you answered your own question. how
    have you been learning new technologies thus far. some people are ok with
    self study others aren't. regardless you should be practicing this stuff
    at home on a test lab network. get vmware or vpc and copies of teh 180
    eval versions of whatever you plan on studying and play a bit following a
    book. then if you determine that you need a class take one.

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jun 23, 2004
  4. Corey B.

    Consultant Guest

    by yes i mean you can combine them

    Consultant, Jun 23, 2004
  5. Corey B.

    Brat® Guest

    *stands and applauds* ... look people!!! someone who actually did
    RESEARCH... yes... research... before asking a very educated question on
    here...

    oh and just so I can give an honest reply... I agree with Consultant and
    Neil... lol ... I'd say why improve on perfection but I can't since neither
    Kat nor I made the first post :p... and Laura beats us all

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69
    Proud member since April 8, 2002

    Brat®, Jun 24, 2004
  6. Corey B.

    Neil Guest

    "Brat®" <> wrote in news:c5qCc.63166
    $:

    > . and Laura beats us all

    sooooooooooo kinky.....

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jun 24, 2004
  7. Corey B.

    Brat® Guest

    do you ever sleep???

    hey do I have you on msn???

    Brat®, Jun 24, 2004
  8. Corey B.

    Neil Guest

    "Brat®" <> wrote in news:3KqCc.63204
    $:

    > hey do I have you on msn???

    sometimes and my addy is in l33t

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jun 24, 2004
  9. Corey B.

    Spyke Guest

    Neil <> wrote in

    > "Brat®" <> wrote in news:c5qCc.63166
    > $:
    >
    >> . and Laura beats us all

    > sooooooooooo kinky.....

    When is the pay-per-view event?

    --

    Cheers,
    Spyke

    Spyke, Jun 24, 2004
  10. Corey B.

    Neil Guest

    Spyke <> wrote in

    > When is the pay-per-view event?

    as soon as we can get the video feed from the Borg mother ship..

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jun 24, 2004
  11. Corey B.

    Spyke Guest

    Neil <> wrote in

    > Spyke <> wrote in
    >

    >> When is the pay-per-view event?

    > as soon as we can get the video feed from the Borg mother ship..

    They can land in my backyard if that will help and speed things up.

    --

    Cheers,
    Spyke

    Spyke, Jun 24, 2004