MS draws 64-bit line in the sand...

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by M. Murcek, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. M. Murcek

    M. Murcek Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. "Longhorn Server Release 2 (R2), due in 2007"

    Wrong, Longhorn Server R2 is not expected until 2009, the initial release of
    LH Server, will be released in '07.

    I see many Companies still on 32 bit Windows Server and client in 2012 and
    beyond, look at Windows 2000, released 5 years ago and still going strong.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 30, 2005

  3. M. Murcek

    M. Murcek Guest

    I think the main thing is, for users who need the high I/O throughput, x64
    Edition makes sense. Also, nobody's going to stop wanting more security,
    more reliability, and a bifurcated code base just makes that harder. This
    is a replay, in some respects of the shift from 16 to 32 bits, but I think
    it's going to happen faster, and Microsoft's pronouncements seem to support
    that estimate...

    M. Murcek, Nov 30, 2005
  4. M. Murcek

    Ted Guest

    Aren't MS shooting their foot for current server sales ?

    Ted, Nov 30, 2005
  5. Well, you want be seeing an Exchange 64 bit until 2007 including other
    products like Centro, so it will give them time to think about their
    decision and make changes if necessary. Testers will also receive both
    32-bit and 64-bit Exchange 12, to make a comparison for themselves to find
    out if the benefits of a exclusive 64-bit Exchange Server is necessary.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 30, 2005