    wired, desktop has no such problems.
    Its rather weird...
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Nov 28, 2005

  2. Could you give us some info on your computer specs? Is it using a nVidia
    chip set? If so, its possibly the nVidia Firewall? Uninstall that if you are
    using the nVidia Chip by installing the firewall then uninstall it.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 28, 2005

  3. ChrisC

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi Andre, wow that was quick ty.
    I guess you don't remember my previous post in regard to this issue, however
    I have a Via based motherboard. I've tried turning off the windows firewall,
    the only one I've got, and I've run the validation troubleshooter which
    askes me to change some the .net activex settings. This makes no difference,
    besides that wouldn't affect file downloads.
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Nov 28, 2005
  4. ChrisC

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi again, I should say that windows update works fine and even if I had a NV
    firewall would that only block d/loads from MS?
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Nov 28, 2005
  5. Only advice then is to hear what others have to say or get a Priest and
    exorcise that machine.

    Andre Da Costa, Nov 28, 2005
  6. ChrisC

    ChrisC Guest

    Hehe, happens every install of X64 I've done, seems to be related to
    whatever causes the file download should that should pop down below the
    links bar. Tell you what I'll do, I'll once again rebuild this PC, but this
    time I'll not install any patches or .net and see what happens. Ok, though,
    but then the 32 bit version never had this issue....
    Go figure :)
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Nov 29, 2005
  7. I hope the 64 bit Vista Team is paying attention to these issues. <sigh>

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 29, 2005
  8. ChrisC

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi, well I hate being proved right but a clean install didn't change things.
    Still can't download anything from MS despite only installing the OS with
    the drivers X64 gave me, didn't install any patches, applications or other
    drivers, didn't even create an account. Perhaps I can make some cash out of
    this by exhibiting my PC as a curiosity, :)
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Nov 29, 2005
  9. ChrisC

    ChrisC Guest

    Hallo again, well I've just dicovered that manual valudation works with the
    64bit version of IE and I can download from MS all files. However I have to
    re-valuate everytime and the active-x side still doesn't work. Still at
    least I can get stuff from MS which is a start.....
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Nov 30, 2005
  10. If the 64-bit version works, and the 32-bit version of IE doesn't, along
    with other 32-bit network apps, then the following probably applies:
    ------------
    Unfortunately, the built in nVidia firewall product appears to install at
    least some portion of itself even if you've never chosen to install it. And
    this appears to interfere with 32-bit programs. The solution is to install
    the firewall program if it isn't already installed, and then uninstall it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 30, 2005
  11. ChrisC

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi Charlie and thx for your reply though, unfortunantely it seems you've not
    been following this thread, or my other one. If you had you would know that
    my motherboard is a A8V, Via based chipset, thus it has no NV firewall.
    Besides, I can download from any other website, including those that use
    active-x, it is only MS that has the problems. Anyhow, thanks again for your
    contribution, three heads are better than one, including Andre's help as
    well....
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Nov 30, 2005
  12. sorry, you're right, I didn't read further up the thread. Just checking for
    new messages, saw the description, and replied. My bad -- I should have read
    more carefully.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 30, 2005
  13. Have you tried using FireFox instead? :-D

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 30, 2005
  14. ChrisC

    ChrisC Guest

    God no, overated, overstated and just as insecure and I wonder if it will
    still have no access to certain websites. I'm sure IE 7.0 won't be long....
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Dec 1, 2005
  15. ChrisC

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    > Only advice then is to hear what others have to say or get a Priest and
    > exorcise that machine.
    > --
    > Andre

    Priest: "Out damned microsoft -- begone from that computer." (He then holds
    a penguin towards the computer and covers his eyes because the light is so
    bright)

    -Rob
    (running BOTH Windows XP x64 edition, and Fedora Core 4 Linux, x86_64
    edition.)

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 1, 2005
  16. ChrisC

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    Take my other suggestion -- go to redhat.com, download fedora "x86_64"
    edition (it's free, but it doesn't really run windows programs, but it's
    better than youe PC being a $400 doorstop). If you download it, I recommend
    using the bittorent download route, as downloading the intsall DVD image was
    a lot easier that way.

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 1, 2005
  17. ChrisC

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    Actually, in the not too distant future, unless IE Upgrades, there will be
    quite a number of sites that require Firefox and won't run on IE.

    For example the <CANVAS> tag (which allows drawing on the screen from a
    Javascript script) is only supported in Firefox and some other Mac-only
    browser. Intenret explorer won't yet be able to display those pages. I saw
    a web page designed with the <CANVAS> tag that allowed moving through a web
    page like you would a game of DOOM, the ideaas this allows for the future of
    the web are open to the imagination of the creators. If Internet Explorer
    doesn't keep up, well, it will fall back to what the generically included
    tools in operating systems have always been refered to as -- cheap cr*p.

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 1, 2005
  18. ChrisC

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi Rob and thx for your replies. Nope, wouldn't go near with anything you
    have suggested, no way would I put any versions of Linux on my PC as it is,
    like Firefox, overblown and overstated and of no use to me. As for my £400
    PC being a doorstop, LOL. My PC would cost well over a £1000, possibly even
    £2000 and it will play any game, run any application till the cows come
    home. However, some success, perhaps your exocism did work. In valudation I
    now get that it isn't supported for this version of windows or for this
    non-Microsoft OS, hehe, now that's laugh, and, and downloads WORK!!!!
    End of story, I hope
    Thx again.....
    Chris

    ChrisC, Dec 2, 2005
  19. ChrisC

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    I didn't say anything about Linux below and have no idea where your comments
    are coming from. I was talking about firefox on windows.

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 3, 2005
  20. ChrisC

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi Rob, posted by youself on the 1/12/05 "Take my other suggestion -- go to
    redhat.com, download fedora "x86_64"
    Is Fedora not Linux based, if not then I apologise for my indiscretion.....
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Dec 4, 2005