    MS Dos I get the message " Invalid Drive Specification" in Drives G: & H:.

    Thanks
    Mark
    melmark, Dec 21, 2003

  2. melmark

    Geoff Guest

    melmark wrote:
    > I was wondering why my PC doesnt read the CD Rom And CD Burner in MS
    > Dos. I have a multi boot system with 2 hard drives. Disk 0 has C: (
    > win98), E: (win 2000), and F: (Xp Pro). Disk 1 has D: ( data). my Cd
    > Rom is G: and CDRW is H: . Both CD's have no problem being read in
    > any of the windows OS's. but in MS Dos I get the message " Invalid
    > Drive Specification" in Drives G: & H:.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mark

    you need to load a cdrom driver for ms-dos
    it'll be a .sys file
    go www.bootdisk.com, grab a bootdisk for ms-dos
    look at the config.sys and autoexec.bat files
    config.sys will have a line that looks like

    DEVICE=cdrom.sys /d:cdrom01

    autoexec.bat will have a line that looks like

    mscdex /d:cdrom01

    (text from memory, so syntax is prob not quite right)

    don't load up windows with a ms-dos cdrom driver loaded like this, at best
    it'll kill the performance of your cdrom, at worse it'll screw windows up
    Geoff, Dec 21, 2003

  3. melmark

    dave hanson Guest

    Mark,
    You must have mscdex.exe in the root of c: (your harddrive) plus the
    best thing to do is get an Atipi dos driver disc and run it.
    This will write what is needed in the config.sys to recognize a CD Rom
    when booting in dos.

    dave hanson, Dec 30, 2003