MS-DOS Printer Sharing

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by David Goodwin, Nov 13, 2006.

  1. A year back before I upgraded the machines on my home network I used a
    250 user copy of Novell Netware 4.11 to provide printing and storage
    services to my network. Printers were attached to various old MS-DOS
    machines which were configured to auto-login when powered on. These
    printer sharing machines could be turned on and off without having to
    shut them down. This meant that I only had to have them on when
    printing to the printer.

    Now that my machines have more local storage space running a big noisy
    power hungry Proliant (or any additional server machine) just for
    printing is a bit pointless. Plus having to login to some server when
    the computer is turned on just so that one can gain access to printers
    is a pain.

    Ive looked in to the following:
    - The Novell Netware Client software for DOS drives the network card
    and provides IPX and TCP/IP, access to Netware 4.11 and older servers
    and is able to share printers to Netware servers.
    - The Microsoft Network Client for DOS also drives the network card,
    provides access to Windows Network resources and provides TCP/IP and
    some other protocols. It does not appear to be capable of sharing
    printers.
    - LRP Print server floppy disk: Not bi-directional, if a document sent
    to it is bigger than the printers buffer odd things happen
    - Windows & WindowsNT: Print server has to be shutdown using VNC
    before it can be turned off which is a pain. Takes a while to start
    up.

    So, what I am now looking for is some form of MS-DOS based print
    server software (probabily using either the Novell or Microsoft client
    drivers just to access the network) or somthing else that would
    provide similar functionality.

    Anyone here know of something that might do the trick?

    David Goodwin, Nov 13, 2006

  2. David Goodwin

    Dave Taylor Guest

    (David Goodwin) wrote in news:4558036a.5838835
    @news.clear.net.nz:

    > So, what I am now looking for is some form of MS-DOS based print
    > server software (probabily using either the Novell or Microsoft client
    > drivers just to access the network) or somthing else that would
    > provide similar functionality.
    >
    > Anyone here know of something that might do the trick?

    Why don't you try posting in support-forums.novell.com
    They have an NNTP server.
    Why don't you keep on using Nprinter?

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 13, 2006

  3. On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 06:26:49 +0000, David Goodwin wrote:

    > So, what I am now looking for is some form of MS-DOS based print
    > server software (probabily using either the Novell or Microsoft client
    > drivers just to access the network) or somthing else that would
    > provide similar functionality.
    >
    > Anyone here know of something that might do the trick?

    Install Linux onto the PC that you want to run the printer from, and set
    up the printer as a Samba/Windows share.

    In fact you would be able to use that PC also as a file storage PC as
    well, and have as many modern USB printers attached to is as you like.

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    --
    "The only way Vista client and Longhorn server would make sense
    would be if [the] company was doing a 'forklift upgrade' on its

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Nov 13, 2006
  4. David Goodwin

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 06:26:49 +0000, David Goodwin wrote:
    >
    > > So, what I am now looking for is some form of MS-DOS based print
    > > server software (probabily using either the Novell or Microsoft client
    > > drivers just to access the network) or somthing else that would
    > > provide similar functionality.
    > >
    > > Anyone here know of something that might do the trick?

    > Install Linux onto the PC that you want to run the printer from, and set
    > up the printer as a Samba/Windows share.
    >
    > In fact you would be able to use that PC also as a file storage PC as
    > well, and have as many modern USB printers attached to is as you like.
    >

    > Aquilegia Alyssum

    User added to bozo bin - stop nymshifting yer wanker

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Nov 13, 2006
  5. On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 21:24:48 +1300, Aquilegia Alyssum
    <> wrote:

    >Install Linux onto the PC that you want to run the printer from, and set
    >up the printer as a Samba/Windows share.
    >
    >In fact you would be able to use that PC also as a file storage PC as
    >well, and have as many modern USB printers attached to is as you like.

    I started using Linux shortly after taking Netware 4.11 off my
    network. The distro I was using was from
    http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/. It worked quite nicely in all areas
    but one - I stopped using it a few months back because it had issues
    printing any document that wouldnt fit completly in the printers
    memory.

    After checking the website it looks as if the reason why I stopped
    using it may have been fixed so I will investigate the issue further
    tomorrow and give the distro another go.

    David Goodwin, Nov 13, 2006