MS-DOS application running slow under WIndows XP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Phil Tusa, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. Phil Tusa

    Phil Tusa Guest

    Greetings to all ....

    I'm using WINDOWS XP SP1 and am having a little problem getting an old
    MS-DOS application to display a little quicker on the screen.

    This is an old 16-bit program that has been running ok - just fine on
    the WINDOWS 95/98 PCS -- however ...

    When I first start the application (menu1.exe) my display goes totally
    blank for about 20-25 seconds then finally the applications main
    screen appears.

    I have tried messing with the executable's properties memory,
    compatibility, screen, misc etc etc -- unfortunately I cannot seem
    to fine the right thing to do make the application load a little
    quicker on the screen (display) ...

    If anyone has any ideas or tips, that would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks in advance!

    --
    Phil Tusa

    Phil Tusa, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Phil Tusa

    °Mike° Guest

    It may be that the old application just isn't fully
    compatible with XP.

    On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:20:18 GMT, in
    <>
    Phil Tusa scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 9, 2004

  3. Phil Tusa

    Ghostrider Guest

    Phil Tusa wrote:

    > Greetings to all ....
    >
    > I'm using WINDOWS XP SP1 and am having a little problem getting an old
    > MS-DOS application to display a little quicker on the screen.
    >
    > This is an old 16-bit program that has been running ok - just fine on
    > the WINDOWS 95/98 PCS -- however ...
    >
    > When I first start the application (menu1.exe) my display goes totally
    > blank for about 20-25 seconds then finally the applications main
    > screen appears.
    >
    > I have tried messing with the executable's properties memory,
    > compatibility, screen, misc etc etc -- unfortunately I cannot seem
    > to fine the right thing to do make the application load a little
    > quicker on the screen (display) ...
    >

    > If anyone has any ideas or tips, that would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > --
    > Phil Tusa

    DOS programs, especially old, 16-bit ones, need to run in
    a DOS emulation window in OS's developed from the 32-bit,
    Windows NT kernel model. The amount of overhead needed to
    run the DOS emulator slows down the system. True, 32-bit
    OS's include Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. The
    OS's derived from Windows 95, including 98 and ME, still
    had some hybrid 16-bit/32-bit code, to afford some better
    longevity to older DOS programs that were not going to be
    ported over or re-written into pure 32-bit code.

    Ghostrider, Feb 9, 2004
  4. Phil Tusa

    Plato Guest

    Phil Tusa wrote:

    > I'm using WINDOWS XP SP1 and am having a little problem getting an old
    > MS-DOS application to display a little quicker on the screen.

    Use an older win98 box for your older dos programs.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Feb 10, 2004
  5. Phil Tusa

    jose3030 Guest

    On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:20:18 GMT, Phil Tusa <> wrote:

    >Greetings to all ....
    >
    >I'm using WINDOWS XP SP1 and am having a little problem getting an old
    >MS-DOS application to display a little quicker on the screen.
    >
    >This is an old 16-bit program that has been running ok - just fine on
    >the WINDOWS 95/98 PCS -- however ...
    >
    >When I first start the application (menu1.exe) my display goes totally
    >blank for about 20-25 seconds then finally the applications main
    >screen appears.
    >
    >I have tried messing with the executable's properties memory,
    >compatibility, screen, misc etc etc -- unfortunately I cannot seem
    >to fine the right thing to do make the application load a little
    >quicker on the screen (display) ...
    >

    >If anyone has any ideas or tips, that would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    >Thanks in advance!

    What is the program ?
    Can you potentially just run it off a boot disk?
    (Unless you need access to the OS with it running)..

    jose3030, Feb 11, 2004
  6. Phil Tusa

    Phil Guest

    Hi jose3030 .... Thanks for your response!

    >What is the program ?

    well, it was written in-house by some other programmer and we use
    it alot -- they are just starting to write it in VB 6 -- finally!

    >Can you potentially just run it off a boot disk?

    Oh no ,... as this software package we will distribute to
    over 1000 users and PC (with win xp and / or win 2000)
    and cannot afford to do this - at all ...

    Phil, Feb 11, 2004
  7. Phil Tusa

    drtom

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    MS + Gates = ANti-DOS

    DOS was originally dervied from Unix, the powerful OS with its related shells. Because Unix (like Linux) is antithetical to the underlying premise of Windows and GUI's, Mr. G. has wanted to rid Windows of DOS since Windows95, but the fact is people still want it, and so it persists, finding its way even into XP. (Some say he hasn't fully gotten rid of it because that might provoke more people to seek Unix (or Linux) alternatives).

    The fact that applications run slow in DOS windows in XP is not necessary - if, for example, the properties of the DOS window are modified to be Full Screen, output to the screen will list and scroll a lot faster (even though not as fast as they could). Also, having tried repeatedly to modify the properties of the DOS window, at times I've hit upon getting it to run and display outputs at lightening speed, e.g. doing a listing of a directory containing over 1800 files does it in a fraction of a second, believe it or not. It's getting these properties to persist that is challenging. (Also, isn't it interesting that 32-bit Win98SE, 2000, Milennium all run DOS windows fast?) Some believe it's been made to run slow in XP to discourage use - I wouldn't be surprised.

    But because I use DOS windows a lot (they are SO useful), I'm determined to get them running fast, and will persist in my search for a remedy, and will post here when I find one. In the meantime, you might try setting DOS window properties to Full Screen. To get out of Full Screen, hit the (no surprise) Windows key.

    Good luck,
    Dr. Tom

    Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
    drtom, Mar 29, 2007
  8. Phil Tusa

    kamleshgsuhagiya

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2007
    Messages:
    1

    kamleshgsuhagiya, Jun 22, 2007
  9. Phil Tusa

    IvyTech

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Possible answer

    Check your Autoexec.nt. There may be some startup options specified that are looking for nonexistent programs, and you have to wait for them to time out, or they are slow loading and you are waiting for them to load. For me it was soundblaster.

    IvyTech, Feb 17, 2014