MS cuts own throat

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bret, Jul 15, 2005.

  1. Bret

    Bret Guest

    http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,68167,00.html?tw=rss.PRV

    >Recognizing that one person's search toolbar is another's spyware, a coalition of consumer groups,
    >ISPs and software companies announced on Tuesday that it has finally come up with a mutually
    > agreeable definition for the internet plague.

    >Spyware impairs "users' control over material changes that affect their user experience,
    > privacy or system security; use of their system resources, including what programs are
    >installed on their computers; or collection, use and distribution of their personal or otherwise
    > sensitive information," according to the Anti-Spyware Coalition, which includes Microsoft,
    >EarthLink, McAfee and Hewlett-Packard.

    I suppose it could be argued that MS requires consent, but so do a lot
    of spyware programs :)

    Bret, Jul 15, 2005

  2. Bret

    Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,68167,00.html?tw=rss.PRV
    >

    >>Recognizing that one person's search toolbar is another's spyware, a coalition of consumer groups,
    >>ISPs and software companies announced on Tuesday that it has finally come up with a mutually
    >>agreeable definition for the internet plague.

    >>Spyware impairs "users' control over material changes that affect their user experience,
    >>privacy or system security; use of their system resources, including what programs are
    >>installed on their computers; or collection, use and distribution of their personal or otherwise
    >>sensitive information," according to the Anti-Spyware Coalition, which includes Microsoft,
    >>EarthLink, McAfee and Hewlett-Packard.

    > I suppose it could be argued that MS requires consent, but so do a lot
    > of spyware programs :)

    Informed consent.....

    Some of this crap is just a "click here to install". I think there was a
    comment somewhere recently on how MS's "partners" software would be
    excluded from MS's software scan......This was also brought up before
    over the MS built in firewall.

    For all the screaming I think there are programs out there as bad as
    anything MS condons.......real player for instance is pretty intrusive
    and annoying....

    regards

    Thing

    , Jul 15, 2005

  3. In article <>, says...

    > For all the screaming I think there are programs out there as bad as
    > anything MS condons.......real player for instance is pretty intrusive
    > and annoying....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    So annoying in its assumptions about how much crap I want installed on
    my computer without being asked, and autostart every time it boots, et
    cetera et cetera that I dumped it years ago. Is anyone still using that
    piece of mischief_ware?!?

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 15, 2005
  4. Bret

    thingy Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >
    >>For all the screaming I think there are programs out there as bad as
    >>anything MS condons.......real player for instance is pretty intrusive
    >>and annoying....
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    > So annoying in its assumptions about how much crap I want installed on
    > my computer without being asked, and autostart every time it boots, et
    > cetera et cetera that I dumped it years ago. Is anyone still using that
    > piece of mischief_ware?!?
    >
    > -P.

    I occasionally come across people who bought it and regreted it. Now
    they get repeated spams over new and improved versions constantly....I
    removed it many moons ago.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jul 16, 2005
  5. Bret

    Max Burke Guest

    > thingy scribbled:

    >> Peter Huebner wrote:

    >>> For all the screaming I think there are programs out there as bad
    >>> as anything MS condons.......real player for instance is pretty
    >>> intrusive and annoying....

    >> So annoying in its assumptions about how much crap I want installed
    >> on my computer without being asked, and autostart every time it
    >> boots, et cetera et cetera that I dumped it years ago. Is anyone
    >> still using that piece of mischief_ware?!?

    > I occasionally come across people who bought it and regreted it. Now
    > they get repeated spams over new and improved versions constantly....I
    > removed it many moons ago.

    I'm using the current [free] version (v10) and it is locked down so that in
    cant access the WWW unless I specifically allow it. It also does allow users
    to block most/all the privacyspyware risk 'behavours' of previous versions.
    (see below for an exception to that)

    I did have to rename/delete it's auto update .exe that tries to access the
    WWW to look for updates on EVERY boot. There is no way that can be stopped
    in the programme itself, and because I'm on dialup it was delaying the boot
    time by 2-3 minutes when try to connect to the WWW before it failed, and
    also causing some of the other background programmes that I run on boot to
    fail.

    I havn't recieved any spam as a result of using the program through; I only
    use it because it's the best programme I've found to load MP3 files onto my
    PDA/MP3 player.

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Jul 17, 2005
  6. Bret

    Mike Dee Guest

    "Max Burke" <> wrote in

    >> thingy scribbled:

    >>> So annoying in its assumptions about how much crap I want
    >>> installed on my computer without being asked, and autostart
    >>> every time it boots, et cetera et cetera that I dumped it years
    >>> ago. Is anyone still using that piece of mischief_ware?!?

    >> I occasionally come across people who bought it and regreted it.
    >> Now they get repeated spams over new and improved versions
    >> constantly....I removed it many moons ago.

    > I'm using the current [free] version (v10) and it is locked down
    > so that in cant access the WWW unless I specifically allow it. It
    > also does allow users to block most/all the privacyspyware risk
    > 'behavours' of previous versions. (see below for an exception to
    > that)

    Real Alternative:

    <http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm>

    Installed over a year back, haven't looked back since. Plays Real Media
    without the grief.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Jul 17, 2005