    time to windows update ppl

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Patrick Dunford, Jul 13, 2004

  3. thing

    Collector Guest

    thing said the following on 14/07/2004 07:23:
    > time to windows update ppl
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Windows Update is not so much a patch as a replace, I have downloaded
    patches for Win2K that amount to 5 times the original size of the
    install files on the rom (excluding the non core items on that rom).

    Getting a bit pathetic when you go to Update see the patch size
    described as 820k and a couple of minutes download, then the stub (that
    800k bit) sits there and downloads another 30megs.
    Collector, Jul 14, 2004
  4. Collector wrote:
    > Getting a bit pathetic when you go to Update see the patch size
    > described as 820k and a couple of minutes download, then the stub (that
    > 800k bit) sits there and downloads another 30megs.

    more than willing to be corrected here, but isnt that usually only for
    big updates, like IE versions or SPs?

    maybe one DX update was like that.

    Still, I'd rather download a stub that checks what else is needed than
    pulling down the whole lot when it may not be needed.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 14, 2004
  5. thing

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 14/07/2004 12:55:

    > Collector wrote:
    >
    >> Getting a bit pathetic when you go to Update see the patch size
    >> described as 820k and a couple of minutes download, then the stub
    >> (that 800k bit) sits there and downloads another 30megs.

    > more than willing to be corrected here, but isnt that usually only for
    > big updates, like IE versions or SPs?
    >
    > maybe one DX update was like that.
    >
    > Still, I'd rather download a stub that checks what else is needed than
    > pulling down the whole lot when it may not be needed.

    In general MS updates are LARGE what pisses me is they dont indicate the
    full potential size just the stub size.

    True only about 4 or 5 of the dozens have been in the 30meg range but
    heaps are in the 5 - 10meg range.

    --
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
    governed by those who are dumber.
    Collector_NZ, Jul 14, 2004
  6. Collector_NZ wrote:
    >> Still, I'd rather download a stub that checks what else is needed than
    >> pulling down the whole lot when it may not be needed.

    > In general MS updates are LARGE what pisses me is they dont indicate the
    > full potential size just the stub size.

    heh, click on the "click here for more information"
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 14, 2004
  7. Collector_NZ <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > >> Getting a bit pathetic when you go to Update see the patch size
    > >> described as 820k and a couple of minutes download, then the stub
    > >> (that 800k bit) sits there and downloads another 30megs.

    > > more than willing to be corrected here, but isnt that usually only for
    > > big updates, like IE versions or SPs?
    > >
    > > maybe one DX update was like that.
    > >
    > > Still, I'd rather download a stub that checks what else is needed than
    > > pulling down the whole lot when it may not be needed.

    > In general MS updates are LARGE what pisses me is they dont indicate the
    > full potential size just the stub size.

    Click the button next to the download for more information about the
    potential size

    To give you an idea of the differences in file sizes between full
    downloads (ala network install versions) vs patches (that only contain
    the binary differences) with XPSP2 a full network install is 272Mb, vs
    a express install from Windows Update (upgrading from SP1) makes it
    only 100Mb

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 17, 2004
  8. In article <>, (Nathan Mercer) was seen to type:
    >Collector_NZ <> wrote in message

    >> > more than willing to be corrected here, but isnt that usually only for
    >> > big updates, like IE versions or SPs?
    >> >
    >> > maybe one DX update was like that.
    >> >
    >> > Still, I'd rather download a stub that checks what else is needed than
    >> > pulling down the whole lot when it may not be needed.

    >> In general MS updates are LARGE what pisses me is they dont indicate the
    >> full potential size just the stub size.

    >Click the button next to the download for more information about the
    >potential size
    >
    >To give you an idea of the differences in file sizes between full
    >downloads (ala network install versions) vs patches (that only contain
    >the binary differences) with XPSP2 a full network install is 272Mb, vs
    >a express install from Windows Update (upgrading from SP1) makes it
    >only 100Mb

    ... did you really just type ... "only 100Mb" ? :)

    Bruce

    ========================
    In short, what people think they want is news, but what they really crave
    is olds.
    Lord Vetinari, ¨The Truth¨ Terry Pratchet
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 18, 2004
  9. z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote in message news:<TUDKc.9049$>...
    > >> In general MS updates are LARGE what pisses me is they dont indicate the
    > >> full potential size just the stub size.

    > >Click the button next to the download for more information about the
    > >potential size
    > >
    > >To give you an idea of the differences in file sizes between full
    > >downloads (ala network install versions) vs patches (that only contain
    > >the binary differences) with XPSP2 a full network install is 272Mb, vs
    > >a express install from Windows Update (upgrading from SP1) makes it
    > >only 100Mb

    > .. did you really just type ... "only 100Mb" ? :)

    In comparison to ~272Mb, 100Mb is heaps better.

    Still difficult for users on narrowband, but it will trickle down
    (HTTP resumeable restart type functionality with BITS/Background
    Intelligent Transfer Service) to PCs

    And besides XPSP2 will be available far and wide on CD

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 19, 2004
  10. In article <>, (Nathan Mercer) was seen to type:
    > (Bruce Sinclair) wrote in message
    >> >
    >> >Click the button next to the download for more information about the
    >> >potential size
    >> >
    >> >To give you an idea of the differences in file sizes between full
    >> >downloads (ala network install versions) vs patches (that only contain
    >> >the binary differences) with XPSP2 a full network install is 272Mb, vs
    >> >a express install from Windows Update (upgrading from SP1) makes it
    >> >only 100Mb

    >> .. did you really just type ... "only 100Mb" ? :)

    >In comparison to ~272Mb, 100Mb is heaps better.

    Better ... but not well :)
    I guess it just leapt out at me when I was reading .. and being an old
    fellow, I guess I was drifting back to the days of huge 1 meg
    downloads and enormous 64 k RAM :)

    >Still difficult for users on narrowband, but it will trickle down
    >(HTTP resumeable restart type functionality with BITS/Background
    >Intelligent Transfer Service) to PCs
    >And besides XPSP2 will be available far and wide on CD

    As always, this is the good news.

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 19, 2004