MS Backup Windows 98 "maximum file size allowed by system"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PW, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. PW

    PW Guest

    Hi

    I am using Microsoft Backup to backup selected files on my system.

    I encountered the following error message while attempting to create
    a backup of my music videos (just under 5GB) to a HDD that I use just for
    backups.

    "The backup file has reached the maximum size allowed by the file system
    Please retry the operation with smaller backups or backup to a different
    device."

    I realize that I can create two separate backups to overcome this problem
    but if there is another way without having to do this, I would love to know
    how.

    Especially because when I come to backup my music library I will encounter
    similar problems.

    I have tried to use the backup program that comes with partition magic
    but don't find that very user friendly.

    If I search for other backup software to try, am I likely to encounter the
    same problem
    (ie backup file reaching the maximum size allowed by the system)

    Thank you for any advice suggestions

    Paul

    PW, Dec 5, 2003

  2. PW

    Alien Zord Guest

    "PW" <> wrote in message news:bqp4it$taj$...
    > Hi
    >
    > I am using Microsoft Backup to backup selected files on my system.
    >
    > I encountered the following error message while attempting to create
    > a backup of my music videos (just under 5GB) to a HDD that I use just for
    > backups.
    >
    > "The backup file has reached the maximum size allowed by the file system
    > Please retry the operation with smaller backups or backup to a different
    > device."
    >
    > I realize that I can create two separate backups to overcome this problem
    > but if there is another way without having to do this, I would love to

    know
    > how.
    >
    > Especially because when I come to backup my music library I will encounter
    > similar problems.
    >
    > I have tried to use the backup program that comes with partition magic
    > but don't find that very user friendly.
    >
    > If I search for other backup software to try, am I likely to encounter the
    > same problem
    > (ie backup file reaching the maximum size allowed by the system)
    >
    > Thank you for any advice suggestions

    MS backup creates a single file and FAT is limited to max. 2GB file size. As
    video (mpeg2?) and mp3 files are highly compressed already there's no point
    in trying to compress them again with a backup applet. Just do a straight
    copy to your backup hdd. XXCOPY is free and good as its highly customizable.
    You just need to write a short batch file.
    http://www.xxcopy.com/

    Alien Zord, Dec 5, 2003