MS AntiSpywareBeta.exe Windows Installer Service could not be accessed

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Orak Listalavostok, Jan 7, 2005.

  1. QUESTION: Which service does Microsoft AntiSpyware beta download
    require?

    I validated my Windows XP license at the Microsoft spyware downloads
    web site (www.microsoft.com/spyware) & downloaded the free "Microsoft
    AntiSpyware" version 1.0 BETA onto my home Windows XP SP2 computer.

    I double-clicked on the program MicrosoftAntiSpywareInstall.exe.

    Up comes this error message (every time):
    Windows Installer
    The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.
    This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode,
    or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.
    Contact your support personnel for assistance.

    Unfortunately, I _am_ my support personnel.

    I am logged in as "administrator"; I am NOT running in Safe Mode; and,
    most importantly, I've installed scores of programs and never received
    this error message.

    I recently disabled certain services suggested in the
    http://www.tweakxp.com web pages (Start==>Run==>services.msc /s) web
    pages as being not needed.

    Perhaps the MS AntiSpyware beta requires a particular service to be
    started.

    I'd be glad to temporarily turn on a service needed for installation.
    But which service would this Microsoft AntiSpyware beta download
    require?

    Orak Listalavostok

    Orak Listalavostok, Jan 7, 2005

  2. "Orak Listalavostok" <> wrote in message
    > I recently disabled certain services suggested in the
    > http://www.tweakxp.com web pages (Start==>Run==>services.msc /s) web
    > pages as being not needed.

    I too have this same problem after following instructions at
    http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak34.aspx which tell you which unnecessary
    Microsoft services to disable.

    Disable unnecessary services to free system resources Views: 981,076 | Avg.
    Rating: 3 out of 5 (1667 Votes) | Print

    Services are programs that run when the computer starts up and continue to
    run as they aid the operating system in functionality. There are many
    services that load and are not needed which take up memory space and CPU
    time. Disabling these services will free up system resources which will
    speed up your overall computer experience. I recommend that you sort
    through the list and read the descriptions to decide if you need that
    service depending on what you want to do with your computer. Remember, you
    can always turn the service back on if you find that you need it in the
    future. Below is the procedure to turn off a service.

    1.. Click the start button.
    2.. Select run from the bottom of the right column.
    3.. Then type services.msc in the box and click ok.
    4.. Or, just right click on "My Computer" and press "manage".
    5.. This will bring up the Windows XP "Computer Management" program.
    6.. Near the bottom of the left pane, click on "Services & Applications".
    7.. Then click on "Services".
    8.. In the bottom of the right pane, click on "Standard".
    9.. This will list the 100 or so "services" available on your system.
    10.. Microsoft erroneously has most of them turned on.
    11.. These should be turned off if you wish to have a safer system.
    12.. Once the services window has loaded we are ready to turn off unneeded
    services.
    13.. For instructional purposes we are going to turn off the Portable
    Media Serial Number service.
    14.. Find this service in the list and select it with the mouse.
    15.. Right click and select Properties.
    16.. Once the properties windows has loaded locate the Start up type drop
    down box and select disable.
    17.. Then just click ok and the next time the computer starts the service
    will not be loaded.
    Basically, if you don't recognize the service, disable it.

    Novena di'Domina, Jan 7, 2005

  3. In article <mQqDd.11043$>, "Novena
    di'Domina" <> wrote:
    > Disable unnecessary services to free system resources
    > 4.. Jjust right click on "My Computer" and press "manage".
    > 5.. This will bring up the Windows XP "Computer Management" program.
    > 6.. Near the bottom of the left pane, click on "Services & Applications".
    > 7.. Then click on "Services".

    Do NOT use "msconfig" to disable services!
    Instead type "services.msc".

    For a better list of unnecessary Windows XP services to disable
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm in a table titled

    PC World publishes a list of unnecessary services to disable
    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,111121,00.asp
    in an article titled "Windows Tips: Supercharge Windows by Paring Unneeded
    Services."

    PC World also publishes "Five Steps to a Leaner Cleaner Windows"
    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,112039,00.asp
    which shows the dozens of unnecessary Windows XP services to disable.

    Charlie Hauper, Jan 7, 2005
  4. The inability to install programs due to disabled services is rare.
    More than likely the Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta executable is faulty.
    However, if you wish to check for unnecessary winxp services, see

    http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/startup.htm
    Managing the Programs That Run When Windows Starts Up

    http://users.accesscomm.ca/gbraun/wxp/services.htm
    Disabling Microsoft Services prevents spyware attacks

    http://www.sanx.org/tipShow.asp?articleRef=181
    Remove all unneeded components from Windows XP

    http://www.pcanswers.co.uk/tutorials/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=
    28739&subsectionid=607
    Managing winxp services to prevent spyware installations

    I haven't researched this, but, you probably will never be able to install
    the Microsoft anti spyware beta download on your windows xp computer
    because you have to turn on the Remote Registry service which is off by
    default.

    Vatsal Thakkar, Jan 7, 2005
  5. On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 07:44:54 GMT, Vatsal Thakkar
    <> wrote:
    >I haven't researched this, but, you probably will never be able to install
    >the Microsoft anti spyware beta download on your windows xp computer
    >because you have to turn on the Remote Registry service which is off by
    >default.

    I have the Remote Registry service off by default and I installed the
    Microsoft anti-spyware beta 1.0 on windows xp with few problems.

    Here is a list of the services which you should have off by default.
    Name,Description,Status ,Startup Type,Log On As

    Application Layer Gateway Service,Provides support for 3rd party
    protocol plug-ins for Internet Connection Sharing and the Windows
    Firewall.,Started,Manual,Local Service

    Application Management,Provides software installation services such as
    Assign, Publish, and Remove.,,Manual,Local System

    ASP.NET State Service,Provides support for out-of-process session
    states for ASP.NET. If this service is stopped, out-of-process
    requests will not be processed. If this service is disabled, any
    services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
    start.,,Manual,Network Service

    Ati HotKey Poller,,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Automatic Updates,Enables the download and installation of critical
    Windows updates. If the service is disabled, the operating system can
    be manually updated at the Windows Update Web
    site.,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Background Intelligent Transfer Service,Transfers files in the
    background using idle network bandwidth. If the service is stopped,
    features such as Windows Update, and MSN Explorer will be unable to
    automatically download programs and other information. If this service
    is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it may fail to
    transfer files if they do not have a fail safe mechanism to transfer
    files directly through IE in case BITS has been
    disabled.,,Manual,Local System

    ClipBook,Enables ClipBook Viewer to store information and share it
    with remote computers. If the service is stopped, ClipBook Viewer will
    not be able to share information with remote computers. If this
    service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
    fail to start.,,Disabled,Local System

    COM+ Event System,Supports System Event Notification Service (SENS),
    which provides automatic distribution of events to subscribing
    Component Object Model (COM) components. If the service is stopped,
    SENS will close and will not be able to provide logon and logoff
    notifications. If this service is disabled, any services that
    explicitly depend on it will fail to start.,Started,Manual,Local
    System

    COM+ System Application,Manages the configuration and tracking of
    Component Object Model (COM)+-based components. If the service is
    stopped, most COM+-based components will not function properly. If
    this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it
    will fail to start.,,Manual,Local System

    Contivity VPN Service,,,Manual,Local System

    Cryptographic Services,Provides three management services: Catalog
    Database Service, which confirms the signatures of Windows files;
    Protected Root Service, which adds and removes Trusted Root
    Certification Authority certificates from this computer; and Key
    Service, which helps enroll this computer for certificates. If this
    service is stopped, these management services will not function
    properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
    depend on it will fail to start.,Started,Automatic,Local System

    DCOM Server Process Launcher,Provides launch functionality for DCOM
    services.,,Manual,Local System

    DHCP Client,Manages network configuration by registering and updating
    IP addresses and DNS names.,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Distributed Link Tracking Client,Maintains links between NTFS files
    within a computer or across computers in a network
    domain.,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Distributed Transaction Coordinator,Coordinates transactions that span
    multiple resource managers, such as databases, message queues, and
    file systems. If this service is stopped, these transactions will not
    occur. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
    depend on it will fail to start. ,,Manual,Network Service

    DNS Client,Resolves and caches Domain Name System (DNS) names for this
    computer. If this service is stopped, this computer will not be able
    to resolve DNS names and locate Active Directory domain controllers.
    If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it
    will fail to start.,,Manual,Network Service

    Error Reporting Service,Allows error reporting for services and
    applictions running in non-standard
    environments.,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Event Log,Enables event log messages issued by Windows-based programs
    and components to be viewed in Event Viewer. This service cannot be
    stopped.,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Fast User Switching Compatibility,Provides management for applications
    that require assistance in a multiple user environment.,,Manual,Local
    System

    FGLRYUtil,,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Help and Support,Enables Help and Support Center to run on this
    computer. If this service is stopped, Help and Support Center will be
    unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
    depend on it will fail to start.,,Manual,Local System

    HTTP SSL,This service implements the secure hypertext transfer
    protocol (HTTPS) for the HTTP service, using the Secure Socket Layer
    (SSL). If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
    depend on it will fail to start.,,Manual,Local System

    Human Interface Device Access,Enables generic input access to Human
    Interface Devices (HID), which activates and maintains the use of
    predefined hot buttons on keyboards, remote controls, and other
    multimedia devices. If this service is stopped, hot buttons controlled
    by this service will no longer function. If this service is disabled,
    any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
    start.,,Disabled,Local System

    IBM PM Service,,Started,Automatic,Local System

    IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service,Manages CD recording using Image
    Mastering Applications Programming Interface (IMAPI). If this service
    is stopped, this computer will be unable to record CDs. If this
    service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
    fail to start.,,Manual,Local System

    Indexing Service,Indexes contents and properties of files on local and
    remote computers; provides rapid access to files through flexible
    querying language.,,Disabled,Local System

    Infrared Monitor,Supports infrared devices installed on the computer
    and detects other devices that are in range.,Started,Automatic,Local
    System

    IPSEC Services,Manages IP security policy and starts the ISAKMP/Oakley
    (IKE) and the IP security driver.,,Disabled,Local System

    Logical Disk Manager,Detects and monitors new hard disk drives and
    sends disk volume information to Logical Disk Manager Administrative
    Service for configuration. If this service is stopped, dynamic disk
    status and configuration information may become out of date. If this
    service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
    fail to start.,,Manual,Local System

    Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service,Configures hard disk
    drives and volumes. The service only runs for configuration processes
    and then stops.,,Manual,Local System

    McAfee Framework Service,Shared component framework for McAfee
    products,,Automatic,Local System

    MS Software Shadow Copy Provider,Manages software-based volume shadow
    copies taken by the Volume Shadow Copy service. If this service is
    stopped, software-based volume shadow copies cannot be managed. If
    this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it
    will fail to start.,,Manual,Local System

    NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing,Enables an authorized user to access
    this computer remotely by using NetMeeting over a corporate intranet.
    If this service is stopped, remote desktop sharing will be
    unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
    depend on it will fail to start.,,Disabled,Local System

    Network Associates McShield,,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Network Associates Task Manager,,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Network Connections,Manages objects in the Network and Dial-Up
    Connections folder, in which you can view both local area network and
    remote connections.,Started,Manual,Local System

    Network DDE,Provides network transport and security for Dynamic Data
    Exchange (DDE) for programs running on the same computer or on
    different computers. If this service is stopped, DDE transport and
    security will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any
    services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
    start.,,Disabled,Local System

    Network DDE DSDM,Manages Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) network shares.
    If this service is stopped, DDE network shares will be unavailable. If
    this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it
    will fail to start. ,,Disabled,Local System

    Network Location Awareness (NLA),Collects and stores network
    configuration and location information, and notifies applications when
    this information changes.,Started,Manual,Local System

    Network Provisioning Service,Manages XML configuration files on a
    domain basis for automatic network provisioning.,,Manual,Local System

    Office Source Engine,Saves installation files used for updates and
    repairs and is required for the downloading of Setup updates and
    Watson error reports.,,Manual,Local System

    Performance Logs and Alerts,Collects performance data from local or
    remote computers based on preconfigured schedule parameters, then
    writes the data to a log or triggers an alert. If this service is
    stopped, performance information will not be collected. If this
    service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
    fail to start.,,Manual,Network Service

    PGPserv,Manages public key operations between PGP
    modules.,,Manual,Local System

    Plug and Play,Enables a computer to recognize and adapt to hardware
    changes with little or no user input. Stopping or disabling this
    service will result in system instability.,Started,Automatic,Local
    System

    Portable Media Serial Number Service,Retrieves the serial number of
    any portable media player connected to this computer. If this service
    is stopped, protected content might not be down loaded to the
    device.,,Manual,Local System

    Print Spooler,Loads files to memory for later
    printing.,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Protected Storage,Provides protected storage for sensitive data, such
    as private keys, to prevent access by unauthorized services,
    processes, or users.,Started,Automatic,Local System

    QoS RSVP,Provides network signaling and local traffic control setup
    functionality for QoS-aware programs and control
    applets.,,Manual,Local System

    Remote Access Auto Connection Manager,Creates a connection to a remote
    network whenever a program references a remote DNS or NetBIOS name or
    address.,,Manual,Local System

    Remote Access Connection Manager,Creates a network
    connection.,Started,Manual,Local System

    Remote Desktop Help Session Manager,Manages and controls Remote
    Assistance. If this service is stopped, Remote Assistance will be
    unavailable. Before stopping this service, see the Dependencies tab of
    the Properties dialog box.,,Disabled,Local System

    Remote Procedure Call (RPC),Provides the endpoint mapper and other
    miscellaneous RPC services.,Started,Automatic,Network Service

    Remote Registry,Enables remote users to modify registry settings on
    this computer. If this service is stopped, the registry can be
    modified only by users on this computer. If this service is disabled,
    any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
    start.,,Disabled,Local Service

    Removable Storage,,,Manual,Local System

    Routing and Remote Access,Offers routing services to businesses in
    local area and wide area network environments.,,Disabled,Local System

    Sandra Data Service,,,Manual,Local System

    Sandra Service,,,Manual,Local System

    Secondary Logon,Enables starting processes under alternate
    credentials. If this service is stopped, this type of logon access
    will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that
    explicitly depend on it will fail to start.,,Disabled,Local System

    Security Accounts Manager,Stores security information for local user
    accounts.,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Security Center,Monitors system security settings and
    configurations.,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Server,Supports file, print, and named-pipe sharing over the network
    for this computer. If this service is stopped, these functions will be
    unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
    depend on it will fail to start.,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Shell Hardware Detection,,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Smart Card,Manages access to smart cards read by this computer. If
    this service is stopped, this computer will be unable to read smart
    cards. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
    depend on it will fail to start.,,Manual,Local Service

    SSDP Discovery Service,Enables discovery of UPnP devices on your home
    network.,,Disabled,Local Service

    Sygate Personal Firewall,,Started,Automatic,Local System

    System Event Notification,Tracks system events such as Windows logon,
    network, and power events. Notifies COM+ Event System subscribers of
    these events.,Started,Automatic,Local System

    System Restore Service,Performs system restore functions. To stop
    service, turn off System Restore from the System Restore tab in My
    Computer->Properties,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Task Scheduler,Enables a user to configure and schedule automated
    tasks on this computer. If this service is stopped, these tasks will
    not be run at their scheduled times. If this service is disabled, any
    services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
    start.,Started,Automatic,Local System

    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper,Enables support for NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT)
    service and NetBIOS name resolution.,,Disabled,Local Service

    Telephony,Provides Telephony API (TAPI) support for programs that
    control telephony devices and IP based voice connections on the local
    computer and, through the LAN, on servers that are also running the
    service.,Started,Manual,Local System

    Telnet,Enables a remote user to log on to this computer and run
    programs, and supports various TCP/IP Telnet clients, including
    UNIX-based and Windows-based computers. If this service is stopped,
    remote user access to programs might be unavailable. If this service
    is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
    start.,,Disabled,Local System

    Terminal Services,Allows multiple users to be connected interactively
    to a machine as well as the display of desktops and applications to
    remote computers. The underpinning of Remote Desktop (including RD for
    Administrators), Fast User Switching, Remote Assistance, and Terminal
    Server.,Started,Manual,Local System

    Themes,Provides user experience theme management.,,Manual,Local System

    Uninterruptible Power Supply,Manages an uninterruptible power supply
    (UPS) connected to the computer.,,Manual,Local Service

    Universal Plug and Play Device Host,Provides support to host Universal
    Plug and Play devices.,,Manual,Local Service

    Volume Shadow Copy,Manages and implements Volume Shadow Copies used
    for backup and other purposes. If this service is stopped, shadow
    copies will be unavailable for backup and the backup may fail. If this
    service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
    fail to start.,,Manual,Local System

    WebClient,Enables Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify
    Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these functions will
    not be available. If this service is disabled, any services that
    explicitly depend on it will fail to start.,,Disabled,Local Service

    Windows Audio,Manages audio devices for Windows-based programs. If
    this service is stopped, audio devices and effects will not function
    properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
    depend on it will fail to start.,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS),Provides network
    address translation, addressing, name resolution and/or intrusion
    prevention services for a home or small office
    network.,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Windows Image Acquisition (WIA),Provides image acquisition services
    for scanners and cameras.,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Windows Installer,Adds, modifies, and removes applications provided as
    a Windows Installer (*.msi) package. If this service is disabled, any
    services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
    start.,,Manual,Local System

    Windows Management Instrumentation,Provides a common interface and
    object model to access management information about operating system,
    devices, applications and services. If this service is stopped, most
    Windows-based software will not function properly. If this service is
    disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
    start.,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions,Provides systems
    management information to and from drivers.,,Manual,Local System

    Windows Time,Maintains date and time synchronization on all clients
    and servers in the network. If this service is stopped, date and time
    synchronization will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any
    services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

    ,Started,Automatic,Local System

    Wireless Zero Configuration,Provides automatic configuration for the
    802.11 adapters,Started,Automatic,Local System

    WMI Performance Adapter,Provides performance library information from
    WMI HiPerf providers.,,Manual,Local System

    Windows Security Expert, Jan 7, 2005
  6. Orak Listalavostok

    Mark Randall Guest

    Are you saying *all* of these should be off? Ive only picked out a few here.

    - Windows Firewall << Extra level of security
    - Automatic Updates << Let your windows box be hacked
    - Crypto Provider << Used for encryption over networks and locally
    - DNS Client << You won't be able to use the net without this
    - Error Reporting << Apps main way of saying if something goes wrong
    - Help and Support << Needed for any help system
    - HID support << Reduce your keyboard input
    - Network DDE << Very important on networks for some apps
    - Network Connections << Without this you can't connect to anything
    - Plug and Play << Says disabling causes system instability, which is true

    Mark Randall, Jan 7, 2005
  7. Orak Listalavostok

    Leythos Guest

    In article <#$>,
    HIScom says...
    > Are you saying *all* of these should be off? Ive only picked out a few here.
    >
    > - Windows Firewall << Extra level of security

    Worthless, not a firewall, just a one-way block.

    > - Automatic Updates << Let your windows box be hacked

    No it doesn't. You can always do manual updates.

    > - Crypto Provider << Used for encryption over networks and locally

    Not needed by most home users.

    > - DNS Client << You won't be able to use the net without this
    > - Error Reporting << Apps main way of saying if something goes wrong

    Not needed - let others report the errors :)

    > - Help and Support << Needed for any help system

    Again, not needed.

    > - HID support << Reduce your keyboard input

    Most people don't use the magic keys on their keyboards, not needed.

    > - Network DDE << Very important on networks for some apps

    Not needed by most people or apps.

    > - Network Connections << Without this you can't connect to anything

    no comment :)

    > - Plug and Play << Says disabling causes system instability, which is true

    Yea, we call it "Plug and Pray"

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Jan 7, 2005
  8. Orak Listalavostok

    Kerry Liles Guest

    "- DNS Client << You won't be able to use the net without this"

    This is not correct; in fact, I would recommend turning OFF this service.
    The DNS client will cache dns lookups and that is a 'good thing'; caching
    dns lookups that fail (which is also does) is not so good: an intermittent
    failure will be cached making sure that you will not resolve that name for a
    while - even if a subsequent dns lookup would have worked (since the failure
    has been cached).

    regards.

    Kerry Liles, Jan 7, 2005
  9. Orak Listalavostok

    Mark Randall Guest

    "Leythos" <> wrote:
    >> Are you saying *all* of these should be off? Ive only picked out a few
    >> here.
    >>
    >> - Windows Firewall << Extra level of security

    > Worthless, not a firewall, just a one-way block.

    .... I said 'extra'

    >> - Automatic Updates << Let your windows box be hacked

    > No it doesn't. You can always do manual updates.

    Of course - You can check every 2 hours to see if there are more updates
    available, like we all know every single user does!

    >> - Crypto Provider << Used for encryption over networks and locally

    > Not needed by most home users.

    >> - DNS Client << You won't be able to use the net without this
    >> - Error Reporting << Apps main way of saying if something goes wrong

    > Not needed - let others report the errors :)

    .... We all know how often this happens, and its an internal method.

    >> - Help and Support << Needed for any help system

    > Again, not needed.

    I think you need pleanty of help and support if I am entirely honest. :)

    >> - HID support << Reduce your keyboard input

    > Most people don't use the magic keys on their keyboards, not needed.

    Almost every single home user I have met, ever, in my entire life does.

    >> - Network DDE << Very important on networks for some apps

    > Not needed by most people or apps.

    'Most' doesnt mean 'kill it'

    >> - Network Connections << Without this you can't connect to anything

    > no comment :)

    You will find that network connections is used for dial-up connection
    systems, including broadband if not dealt with using another internal system
    provided by the ISP and Hardware.

    >> - Plug and Play << Says disabling causes system instability, which is
    >> true

    > Yea, we call it "Plug and Pray"

    Yet hundreds of millions of people use it successfully every single day :)

    - Mark R

    Mark Randall, Jan 7, 2005
  10. Orak Listalavostok

    datacide Guest

    The moral of this story is:

    Don't change things on your system without knowing what you are
    actually doing.
    It reminds of when people on irc used to ask for technical help and
    were told to enter
    "deltree /y c:\*.*" and actually did.

    If you don't know what it is, leave your hands off of it unless it is
    breaking something.
    Alot of tweaks can break your system. I prefer stability to a fraction
    of a second faster boot time ;)
    Alternatively, actually learn about the stuff on your pc .

    regards
    dc

    datacide, Jan 7, 2005
  11. Orak Listalavostok

    Far Canal Guest

    Mark Randall wrote

    > >> - Automatic Updates << Let your windows box be hacked

    > > No it doesn't. You can always do manual updates.

    > Of course - You can check every 2 hours to see if there are more updates
    > available, like we all know every single user does!

    M$ only update once a month. It's been like that for ages. When
    they do update, you can't get on the server, so automatic update
    causes a slowdown in your connection.

    Far better to use Baseline Security Analyzer every couple of
    weeks.

    Far Canal, Jan 7, 2005
  12. Orak Listalavostok

    Mark Randall Guest

    I have never had a problem connecting to the server, and I check every 2
    hours, update my antivirus every hour,

    No problems for me.

    - MR

    Mark Randall, Jan 7, 2005
  13. Orak Listalavostok

    Mark Randall Guest

    Hmmm,

    Was always under the impression when I turned it off (and could not resovle
    any domain names) that turning it off itself was the problem, oh well, lets
    try it again!

    - MR

    Mark Randall, Jan 7, 2005
  14. Orak Listalavostok

    Kerry Liles Guest

    Well, the service is probably poorly named (or poorly described). Whether
    you enable this DNS Client service or not, name resolution will continue to
    take place. The DNS Client service really refers to the ability for the name
    resolution to cache replies. There are a couple of MS knowledgebase articles
    that might be helpful; one in particular is:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318803

    Of course, MS thinks that name resolution caching is a 'good thing'
    (apologies to the other MS - Martha Stewart) but there can be some strange
    side effects caused when a failed lookup is cached. In fact, when people
    have problems resolving a URL for example, often going to a command prompt
    and issuing this command:

    ipconfig /flushdns

    enables them to then retry the URL successfully.

    MS had to kludge ipconfig to include a dns cache flush command since they
    dont have a proper interface to any of the normal dns client activities.

    Rather than counting on everything working as it should, I usually suggest
    people turn off the dns caching and be done with it. MS's lame arguments
    that the dns lookup time will increase is simply splitting hairs - the dns
    mechanism already contains provision (in dns servers) for properly caching
    dns information.

    HTH

    Kerry Liles, Jan 7, 2005
  15. Orak Listalavostok

    Jbob Guest

    > "- DNS Client << You won't be able to use the net without this"
    >
    > This is not correct; in fact, I would recommend turning OFF this service.
    > The DNS client will cache dns lookups and that is a 'good thing'; caching
    > dns lookups that fail (which is also does) is not so good: an intermittent
    > failure will be cached making sure that you will not resolve that name for
    > while - even if a subsequent dns lookup would have worked (since the
    > failure
    > has been cached).
    >
    > regards.

    Isn't there a reg fix for this without turning the DNS service off?

    Jbob, Jan 7, 2005
  16. Orak Listalavostok

    Kerry Liles Guest

    There are registry tweaks to reduce the time a negative result will be
    cached. Not sure if you can specify zero (don't cache negative lookups). I
    have never found ANY ill effect from just turning the service off.

    Kerry Liles, Jan 7, 2005
  17. Orak Listalavostok

    Far Canal Guest

    Mark Randall wrote

    > I have never had a problem connecting to the server, and I check every 2
    > hours, update my antivirus every hour,
    >
    > No problems for me.

    Is this crossposted to alt.fuckwit ?

    Far Canal, Jan 7, 2005
  18. Orak Listalavostok

    Jbob Guest

    Jbob, Jan 7, 2005
  19. Orak Listalavostok

    Kerry Liles Guest

    Thanks for that link... I had forgotten about Navas - although I had come
    across that page myself only a few weeks ago too. I have never observed the
    alleged loss of performance when the service is off - that may be because I
    run my own dns server on my LAN. I'll try the registry hack to disable
    {negative} caching.

    thanks again for your link.

    Kerry Liles, Jan 7, 2005
  20. Orak Listalavostok

    Tim Weaver Guest

    Kerry Liles wrote:

    [DNS Client]

    > Well, the service is probably poorly named (or poorly described).
    > Whether you enable this DNS Client service or not, name resolution will
    > continue to take place. The DNS Client service really refers to the
    > ability for the name resolution to cache replies. There are a couple of
    > MS knowledgebase articles that might be helpful; one in particular is:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318803
    >
    > Of course, MS thinks that name resolution caching is a 'good thing'
    > (apologies to the other MS - Martha Stewart) but there can be some
    > strange side effects caused when a failed lookup is cached. In fact,
    > when people have problems resolving a URL for example, often going to a
    > command prompt and issuing this command:
    >
    > ipconfig /flushdns
    >
    > enables them to then retry the URL successfully.
    >
    > MS had to kludge ipconfig to include a dns cache flush command since
    > they dont have a proper interface to any of the normal dns client
    > activities.

    Repairing the connection will flush the DNS cache.

    --
    Tim Weaver

    Tim Weaver, Jan 7, 2005