    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/09/banking_trojan/>

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Feb 10, 2005

  2. Mike Dee

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <Xns95F98DA2FE572emteedee@130.133.1.4>,
    Mike Dee <> wrote:

    > the Register:
    >
    > <Q>
    > The first piece of malware to attack Microsoft's new prototype
    > anti-spyware product has emerged. The BankAsh-A Trojan disables
    > Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta in an attempt to suppress any warning
    > messages the package might display. It also deletes files within the
    > program's folder. Unlike other items of malware, BankAsh-A makes no
    > attempt to turn off anti-virus apps.
    >
    > The main function of BankAsh-A is to steal online banking
    > passwords...
    > </Q>
    >
    > Rest of article:
    > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/09/banking_trojan/>

    which is exactly why anyone who uses windows has to be a fool.
    whoisthis, Feb 12, 2005

  3. Mike Dee

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    whoisthis <> provided this moment of wisdom....

    >In article <Xns95F98DA2FE572emteedee@130.133.1.4>,
    > Mike Dee <> wrote:
    >
    >> the Register:
    >>
    >> <Q>
    >> The first piece of malware to attack Microsoft's new prototype
    >> anti-spyware product has emerged. The BankAsh-A Trojan disables
    >> Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta in an attempt to suppress any warning
    >> messages the package might display. It also deletes files within the
    >> program's folder. Unlike other items of malware, BankAsh-A makes no
    >> attempt to turn off anti-virus apps.
    >>
    >> The main function of BankAsh-A is to steal online banking
    >> passwords...
    >> </Q>
    >>
    >> Rest of article:
    >> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/09/banking_trojan/>

    >which is exactly why anyone who uses windows has to be a fool.

    Well, without getting into another "us vs them" thing.......

    Anyone that installs a beta version of ANYTHING in a live environment
    is indeed truly a fool.

    Ryan Jacobs, Feb 12, 2005
  4. Mike Dee

    Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:55:53 +1300, whoisthis wrote:

    >> The main function of BankAsh-A is to steal online banking passwords...
    >> </Q>
    >>
    >> Rest of article:
    >> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/09/banking_trojan/>

    > which is exactly why anyone who uses windows has to be a fool.

    Which is also why anyone who does online-banking is extremely foolish.

    Divine

    --
    "What some people have against Open Source Software is what Fundamentalist
    Christians or Moslems have against Knowledge."
  5. Mike Dee

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:31:35 +1300, ""
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:55:53 +1300, whoisthis wrote:
    >
    >>> The main function of BankAsh-A is to steal online banking passwords...
    >>> </Q>
    >>>
    >>> Rest of article:
    >>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/09/banking_trojan/>

    >> which is exactly why anyone who uses windows has to be a fool.

    >Which is also why anyone who does online-banking is extremely foolish.

    As is anyone who crosses the road.
    Invisible, Feb 12, 2005
  6. wrote:
    >>><http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/09/banking_trojan/>

    >>which is exactly why anyone who uses windows has to be a fool.

    > Which is also why anyone who does online-banking is extremely foolish.

    why is using online banking extremely foolish?
    or are you meaning in the context of running a compromised windows box
    and doing online banking?

    if so, then surely the same applies for any compromised machine, no
    matter which OS.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 12, 2005
  7. Mike Dee

    froggy Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:34:15 +1300, Invisible wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:31:35 +1300, ""
    > <> wrote:

    >>> which is exactly why anyone who uses windows has to be a fool.

    >>Which is also why anyone who does online-banking is extremely foolish.
    >>

    > As is anyone who crosses the road.

    add in the idiots who get inside a flying machine.. certifiable they are!

    froggy, Feb 12, 2005
  8. Mike Dee

    My Guest

    wrote:

    >which is exactly why anyone who uses windows has to be a fool.

    sorry,
    which is exactly why I use it, as soon as an issues is identified, its
    fixed...
    not 'role back to verson x.x.x.x' or thats why I use x release causes
    its got a bette y then z version
    My, Feb 12, 2005
  9. Mike Dee

    My Guest

    wrote:

    >which is exactly why anyone who uses windows has to be a fool.

    All you have to do is click on File/ Check for Updates...
    My, Feb 12, 2005
  10. On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:31:35 +1300, wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:55:53 +1300, whoisthis wrote:
    >
    >>> The main function of BankAsh-A is to steal online banking passwords...
    >>> </Q>
    >>>
    >>> Rest of article:
    >>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/09/banking_trojan/>

    >> which is exactly why anyone who uses windows has to be a fool.

    > Which is also why anyone who does online-banking is extremely foolish.
    >

    > Divine

    I am foolish then. Watch out if you use telephone banking someone could be
    listening in too. Also keep an eye out for fake/modified ATMs...

    The internet is dangerous (especially to fools). I am starting a movement
    to get it banned.
    wogers nemesis, Feb 12, 2005
  11. Mike Dee

    Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:57:37 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>which is exactly why anyone who uses windows has to be a fool.

    >> Which is also why anyone who does online-banking is extremely foolish.

    > why is using online banking extremely foolish? or are you meaning in the
    > context of running a compromised windows box and doing online banking?
    >
    > if so, then surely the same applies for any compromised machine, no
    > matter which OS.

    Yes - agreed.

    There are any number of servers between a desktop and the bank's server -
    and any or all of them could be sniffing for useful data - encrypted or
    otherwise. And unless you have a *very* large encryption key it won't take
    too long for some of the fast computers now available to crack the key and
    harvest the information.

    Using a Windows box only makes the harvesting much easier.

    I have a gigabit ethernet switch which is capable of creating on one port
    an exact duplicate of everything being sent to another particular port -
    and without anyone knowing that anything was happening.

    The Internet is quite simply an insecure medium, and encryption only stops
    the innocent and the not bright/rich enough.

    Remember - that the police have the ability to silently snoop on anything
    and everything to do with the Internet.

    Divine

    --
    43 - for those who require slightly more than the answer to life, the
    universe and everything.