MS Antispy Beta Picked up stuff missed by

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Leon Trollski, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. Ad-aware
    xoftspy
    Spybot
    AVG Free
    F-prot
    and Antivir XP

    It found

    Threats

    VX2.Transponder Browser Plug-in (removed)

    Vx2.ZServ Trojan (removed)

    NetGuide Adware (removed)

    Total scan time: 7 mins 54 secs

    Info on VX2:
    http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-vx2-cc.html-4

    What gets me is that all these other products missed VX2. And the malware
    is even openly marketed by some company.
    Leon Trollski, Apr 8, 2005

  2. Leon Trollski

    lee Guest

    Leon Trollski wrote:
    > Ad-aware
    > xoftspy
    > Spybot
    > AVG Free
    > F-prot
    > and Antivir XP
    >

    > It found
    >
    > Threats
    >
    > VX2.Transponder Browser Plug-in (removed)
    >
    > Vx2.ZServ Trojan (removed)
    >
    > NetGuide Adware (removed)
    >
    > Total scan time: 7 mins 54 secs
    >

    > Info on VX2:
    > http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-vx2-cc.html-4
    >
    > What gets me is that all these other products missed VX2. And the malware
    > is even openly marketed by some company.

    Mr. Trollski....

    Those last 3 utilities (AVG>Antivir) are not optimized for detecting
    spyware.

    1. No product is going to be 100% accurate, 100% of the time.

    2. Some products actually will produce false-positive results. Make sure
    you can authenticate what an anti-spyware utility intends to remove.

    over and out
    lee, Apr 8, 2005

  3. Leon Trollski

    Mark Gibson Guest

    lee <> wrote:
    >Leon Trollski wrote:
    >> Ad-aware
    >> xoftspy
    >> Spybot
    >> AVG Free
    >> F-prot
    >> and Antivir XP
    >>

    >> It found
    >>
    >> Threats
    >>
    >> VX2.Transponder Browser Plug-in (removed)
    >>
    >> Vx2.ZServ Trojan (removed)
    >>
    >> NetGuide Adware (removed)
    >>
    >> Total scan time: 7 mins 54 secs
    >>

    >> Info on VX2:
    >> http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-vx2-cc.html-4
    >>
    >> What gets me is that all these other products missed VX2. And the malware
    >> is even openly marketed by some company.
    >>

    >Mr. Trollski....

    >Those last 3 utilities (AVG>Antivir) are not optimized for detecting
    >spyware.

    >1. No product is going to be 100% accurate, 100% of the time.

    >2. Some products actually will produce false-positive results. Make sure
    >you can authenticate what an anti-spyware utility intends to remove.
    >over and out

    Yeah. Some Anti- spyware, adware, malware-in-general progs can show up as
    threats, due to the fact that they work at very low level on your system.

    --
    "The universe is quite robust in design and appears to be doing
    just fine on its own, incompetent support staff notwithstanding."
    Mark Gibson, Apr 8, 2005
  4. "lee" <> wrote in message
    > Leon Trollski wrote:
    > > Ad-aware
    > > xoftspy
    > > Spybot
    > > AVG Free
    > > F-prot
    > > and Antivir XP
    > >

    > > It found
    > >
    > > Threats
    > >
    > > VX2.Transponder Browser Plug-in (removed)
    > >
    > > Vx2.ZServ Trojan (removed)
    > >
    > > NetGuide Adware (removed)
    > >
    > > Total scan time: 7 mins 54 secs
    > >

    > > Info on VX2:
    > > http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-vx2-cc.html-4
    > >
    > > What gets me is that all these other products missed VX2. And the

    malware
    > > is even openly marketed by some company.
    > >

    > Mr. Trollski....
    >
    > Those last 3 utilities (AVG>Antivir) are not optimized for detecting
    > spyware.
    >
    > 1. No product is going to be 100% accurate, 100% of the time.
    >
    > 2. Some products actually will produce false-positive results. Make sure
    > you can authenticate what an anti-spyware utility intends to remove.
    >
    > over and out

    Yes, I'm aware that the last three are not configured for spyware, I just
    included them for completeness' sake.

    I researched vx2 prior to accepting the delete. And Microsoft Antispy
    called it a "severe threat". I find it interesting the other leading
    products totally missed it, even Ad-aware never caught it in safe mode
    reboot scan.
    Leon Trollski, Apr 9, 2005
  5. Leon Trollski

    Moe Trin Guest

    In article <QkF5e.932876$8l.328884@pd7tw1no>, Leon Trollski wrote:

    >I researched vx2 prior to accepting the delete. And Microsoft Antispy
    >called it a "severe threat". I find it interesting the other leading
    >products totally missed it, even Ad-aware never caught it in safe mode
    >reboot scan.

    I'm mildly curious - why did you install this mal-ware in the first place?

    Or do you think the Virus and Trojan Fairies come by several times a day,
    and install the new crap for you?

    Old guy
    Moe Trin, Apr 9, 2005
  6. "Moe Trin" <> wrote in message
    > In article <QkF5e.932876$8l.328884@pd7tw1no>, Leon Trollski wrote:

    > I'm mildly curious - why did you install this mal-ware in the first place?
    >
    > Or do you think the Virus and Trojan Fairies come by several times a day,
    > and install the new crap for you?

    Oh yeah, I installed it on purpose. You got me. And then the fairies came
    and fulfilled my every desire.
    Leon Trollski, Apr 10, 2005
  7. Leon Trollski

    Moe Trin Guest

    In article <c9_5e.939099$Xk.845306@pd7tw3no>, Leon Trollski wrote:

    >Oh yeah, I installed it on purpose. You got me. And then the fairies came
    >and fulfilled my every desire.

    Software doesn't appear out of mid-air. While you were wankin off with
    the pictures of those fairies, you also managed to click "OK install
    it all" . Try disabling auto-install and read the message before
    clicking OK.

    Old guy
    Moe Trin, Apr 11, 2005
  8. Leon Trollski

    winged Guest

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > In article <c9_5e.939099$Xk.845306@pd7tw3no>, Leon Trollski wrote:
    >

    >>Oh yeah, I installed it on purpose. You got me. And then the fairies came
    >>and fulfilled my every desire.

    > Software doesn't appear out of mid-air. While you were wankin off with
    > the pictures of those fairies, you also managed to click "OK install
    > it all" . Try disabling auto-install and read the message before
    > clicking OK.
    >
    > Old guy

    I have seen code auto run/install on IE, no click required, using cross
    zone exploits with activeX. Of course, an argument could be made that
    the trusted zone was to liberal.

    Winged
    winged, Apr 12, 2005