    broken off the laptop.

    How can anyone think they can get a broken piece of hardware fixed in a
    Windows forum?
    Bobby Johnson, May 7, 2010

  2. Bobby Johnson

    TMA Guest

    And windows users flood Apple forums with windows/hardware related problems
    too. That's what open web based forums are.
    Of course anyone can come to usenet and post their brilliant questions here
    too, but it's more unlikely.

    I could add thousands of examples of why I think web forums suck, but here
    I'll add just some of them:

    1) Really bad design of most of them
    2) Mirrowed forum threads. If you google a single post, sometimes you can
    find the same threads in multiple domains
    3) No qualified answers since anyone in the world can easily find your
    question and decide to be funny and mess up with it
    4) The necessity to sign up in each one of them in order to see an answer.
    This is annoying and spreads your e-mail address all over the place
    attracting a lot of spams. Not to mention the necessity to create new
    passwords all the time or use old ones improving the risk to get totally
    screwed. Some people will be dumb enough to sign up to a site and put the
    same password used in his email address.
    5) Sort of slow and hard to navigate
    6) Unreliable answers
    7) Off topic threads
    8) Annoying Adds. Thousands of them.
    9) The possibility to input virus in the posts since it's all HTML coded
    10) It's difficult to keep track of relevant posts, because using the
    bookmark feature of the browser to do so is a bad joke, isn't it?

    Now why do I think specificly M$ should keep USENET?

    1) All of the above, specially 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8
    2) Because Bill Gates original strategy was to make his OS public and known
    by the public. That's what made Windows the most common OS worldwide (not
    its functionality or price or stability for sure). Experienced users
    exchange is a lot more accurate in USENET than in web forums. That would
    just ease the process of solving small problems.
    3) No significant investment needed, so definitely it wouldn't hurt M$ to do
    so.
    4) If M$ could monitor these threads, it would get more accurate feedback on
    their products since USENET users seem to be at least half a step higher
    than the other ordinary users.
    5) Because we would stop complaining

    To illustrate the scenario I see these days, with the growth of Linux and
    even Apple computers, let me share a few things I've noticed.

    Lots of computers come with Linux pre-installed. That makes the computer a
    lot cheaper in the store, and even though the user in most cases are not
    really happy with it, they end up buying it. If he is not very demanding and
    decides to play with it, he'll notice that no extra software is required to
    do the most common tasks (ie. browsing, printing, burning cd/dvd, listening
    to music, watching movies/pictures, conferencing even with a webcam and mic,
    typing a text in a word-like program, etc). In addition, if he RTFM (and
    everyone does in case of problems), he'll end being encouraged to enter an
    irc channel where he can be instructed to solve almost any kind of problem
    he might be experiencing. All free, all there in a irc chat room 24/7. Much
    better than USENET even. Of course Linux is much more complicated to most
    users, but when you have a step-by-step online instructor to tell you
    exactly what to do, even though you have no clue of what you're doing (and
    who said Windows users know what they're doing all the time?), the final
    result will be much better.

    On the other hand, apple is raising back to the market. They finally
    surrendered to Intel architecture and dropped their prices a little bit.
    They sell pretty stable monolithic computers to geeks and ordinary users.
    There's not a really wide variety of third party software because apple
    seems to put everything into bundles and sells itself the best solutions
    available. This ensures performance and makes computer use experience
    flawlessly in most cases. It takes a hardware problem or a really geek mac
    use in order to make the system fail. And if does, he can google his problem
    and will end up falling in the 3 or 4 big web based forums related to apple
    products. That's not perfect, but the marketing graphics show that the
    amount of problems versus the amount of mac forums are something you can
    live with.

    Now look at windows. 300 thousand billion third party software. Some old
    enough to be Win95 compatible. Viruses all over the place and together with
    them, a whole bunch of anti-spyware, anti-virus, anti-malware, etc. If you
    have windows XP, you will be encouraged to upgrade to IE 8 and, if you do so
    with default options, you will have a browser that takes 5 to 10 seconds to
    open depending on your hardware/configuration. Then someone will tell you to
    install Firefox or Google Chrome. Then you have to deal with MS Office or
    OpenOffice, then a software to burn cd's, then a software to manage your
    webcam, then a complicated firewall system, UAC, etc, etc. Then the
    false-positive software counterfait message. To each of these "solutions",
    thousands of options that users have no further info about, even though each
    will cost 50+ dollars. Then, of course, you will have compatibility
    problems, constant updates, etc. In the end of the day, it's a miracle M$
    made a decently stable piece of OS even though all these things. And fact is
    that your Windows OS will decrease performance as all these
    updates/upgrades/third-party installs take place. Then you will need support
    and you will find 300 thousand billion web based forums with questions like
    the broken USB you spoke about. Why? Because M$ insists to SELL solutions
    instead of just giving them. But this paragraph explains why it's so
    expensive for them to keep each windows version running.

    That being said, I believe M$ should do anything possible to ease access to
    technical solutions to their products. They will still make money with
    solution providing, they will still making money selling software, they will
    still make money with all those banners in their web based forums. Don't
    fear that M$, we'll be always with you, at least for a while.

    TMA, May 8, 2010

  3. Yup. We used to get our share here in the early days, when 64bit showed up
    at the top of the web interface.

    Get the NNTP Bridge (on Connect) and use that. It works. A bit slow (but
    getting better), and I've got some other quibbles with it, but it does work.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 10, 2010
  4. Bobby Johnson

    Bogey Man Guest

    "TMA" <> wrote in message
    > And windows users flood Apple forums with windows/hardware related
    > problems too. That's what open web based forums are.
    > Of course anyone can come to usenet and post their brilliant questions
    > here too, but it's more unlikely.
    >
    > I could add thousands of examples of why I think web forums suck, but here
    > I'll add just some of them:

    So could I.

    > 1) Really bad design of most of them

    Agree

    > 2) Mirrowed forum threads. If you google a single post, sometimes you can
    > find the same threads in multiple domains

    Same thing happens with Usenet.

    > 3) No qualified answers since anyone in the world can easily find your
    > question and decide to be funny and mess up with it

    This happens no matter where you post.

    > 4) The necessity to sign up in each one of them in order to see an answer.
    > This is annoying and spreads your e-mail address all over the place
    > attracting a lot of spams. Not to mention the necessity to create new
    > passwords all the time or use old ones improving the risk to get totally
    > screwed. Some people will be dumb enough to sign up to a site and put the
    > same password used in his email address.

    You only have to sign in at the beginning of your session and you email can
    be munged as far as I can see.

    > 5) Sort of slow and hard to navigate

    Sure is. However you can add various forums to "My Threads"

    > 6) Unreliable answers
    > 7) Off topic threads
    > 8) Annoying Adds. Thousands of them.
    > 9) The possibility to input virus in the posts since it's all HTML coded
    > 10) It's difficult to keep track of relevant posts, because using the
    > bookmark feature of the browser to do so is a bad joke, isn't it?
    >
    > Now why do I think specificly M$ should keep USENET?
    >
    > 1) All of the above, specially 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8

    If they want to control what is posted and have control all of the newgroups
    can be set up as "Moderated" and that will solve the problem right away.
    Bogey Man, May 10, 2010