    Anyone got any more to add to the list?

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Nov 13, 2005

  2. Kenny

    Trax Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote:

    |>I've often wondered why MS release these programs supposedly as free extras
    |>when they are only half a program.
    |>1. Movie Maker which can't handle MPEG files or burn to DVD and you still
    |>have to buy other software.

    First you have to understand microsoft doesn't use prevailing
    standards, they would have to pay royalties, so instead of MPG they
    create WMV.

    |>Anyone got any more to add to the list?

    PictureIt - I got the first version; came packaged with a digital
    camera. It practically forced you to save a pix in a really obscure
    format. - and not BMP another MS creation.

    You could save as a TIF or JPG but it was incredibly hard, and once I
    figured it out, I forgot how I got there :)) - piece of junk

    --
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_eye_of_god.htm

    Trax, Nov 13, 2005

  3. Kenny

    Mitch Guest

    In article <dl8e6t$jjn$>, Kenny <>
    wrote:

    > I've often wondered why MS release these programs supposedly as free extras
    > when they are only half a program.
    > 1. Movie Maker which can't handle MPEG files or burn to DVD and you still
    > have to buy other software.
    > 2. XP firewall which only blocks incoming, not outgoing traffic. Again
    > you've got to buy 3rd party firewall or use one of the free ones like Zone
    > Alarm.
    > 3. XP CD burning wizard which is totally useless and again you've got to buy
    > a proper one like Nero.

    Just about everything included with Windows is a minimally functioning
    tool; that's part of the point. Alway shas been.
    Microsoft sometimes needs to allow third parties to develop for
    Windows; it isn't entirely about them, and they know it.
    Microsoft also needs to be able to claim improvements and new features
    and functions. To that end, they put in some. They aren't necessarily
    useful features, they may actually go against good interface design,
    but they just want to show a change, something to market.

    They also have created in users the built-in assumption that you'll
    always need to upgrade the OS. Watching these releases is a weird
    experience; it feels like every Windows user has a compulsion to get
    the new version, even if they swore weeks before Windows worked great
    for them.

    But you're wrong that you have to buy everything to replace it; many of
    the tools you are writing of can be had free. The firewall, for
    instance, can be had from Outpost or Zone Alarm.

    Mitch, Nov 13, 2005
  4. Kenny

    old man Guest

    and if they supplied an all singing addon then someone would be making
    complaints about abuse of position / unfair compatition eg real and others

    old man, Nov 14, 2005
  5. Howdy!

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > I've often wondered why MS release these programs supposedly as free

    extras
    > when they are only half a program.
    > 1. Movie Maker which can't handle MPEG files or burn to DVD and you still
    > have to buy other software.

    Dunno about Movie Maker - I've been using better.

    > 2. XP firewall which only blocks incoming, not outgoing traffic. Again
    > you've got to buy 3rd party firewall or use one of the free ones like Zone
    > Alarm.

    Err - With SP2, yes, the firewall DOES block outgoing non-Microsoft
    traffic.

    > 3. XP CD burning wizard which is totally useless and again you've got to

    buy
    > a proper one like Nero.

    Totally useless? Nope. Full-featured? Nope. But it ain't totally
    useless.

    It WILL produce ISO-9660 formatted CDs, it just doesn't have bells
    and whistles.

    Try again, m'kay?

    > Anyone got any more to add to the list?

    Try an ACCURATE list first.