MS and Gangster History..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by jack, Jun 22, 2007.

  1. jack

    jack Guest

    jack, Jun 22, 2007

  2. jack

    thingy Guest

    jack wrote:

    > I know that US Gangster in the past use the Protection racket, and may be still do, but comments
    > from this Web site seems that MS is now upto it..
    >
    > "We don't believe it is necessary for us to get protection from Microsoft to do our job, or to pay
    > protection money to anyone."
    >

    > http://www.hardocp.com/?
    >

    > Article
    >
    > http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=9220&pagtype=all

    So far the only significant signees are ones in the USA? and on dodgy
    ground financially....

    Mandriva is not US based, so I am rather unclear on how a US patent
    would effect them even if MS found they had a valid one...

    Ubuntu is SAfrica? so would they care either? Worst case on one uses
    Ubuntu in the USA....who cares....

    Laura DiDio, an "analyst" at Boston-based Yankee Group Research.....hmmm
    yes well....her credibility in the OSS arena is well understood...

    If MS can sue it can only sue US customers....now that would be really
    bright....SCO should be shining example of what can happen when its
    tried........Groklaw would have a field day....I can so see MS's patents
    surviving....

    As it stands it is simply unfair....I am hoping for a court case soon
    that asks for a declaration that Linux does not infringe any MS
    patents....I would guess the existing timeout has to expire before
    anyone can do so.....then Rh or another smaller player can have its day
    in court (it could even make money on it)....get this FUD out in the
    open where it can stand or shrivel in the light of day....I look forward
    to it.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 22, 2007

  3. jack

    peterwn Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > jack wrote:
    >>

    >> I know that US Gangster in the past use the Protection racket, and may
    >> be still do, but comments
    >> from this Web site seems that MS is now upto it..
    >>
    >> "We don't believe it is necessary for us to get protection from
    >> Microsoft to do our job, or to pay
    >> protection money to anyone."
    >>
    >> http://www.hardocp.com/?
    >>

    >> Article
    >>
    >> http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=9220&pagtype=all
    >>

    > So far the only significant signees are ones in the USA? and on dodgy
    > ground financially....
    >
    > Mandriva is not US based, so I am rather unclear on how a US patent
    > would effect them even if MS found they had a valid one...
    >
    > Ubuntu is SAfrica? so would they care either? Worst case on one uses
    > Ubuntu in the USA....who cares....
    >
    > Laura DiDio, an "analyst" at Boston-based Yankee Group Research.....hmmm
    > yes well....her credibility in the OSS arena is well understood...
    >
    > If MS can sue it can only sue US customers....now that would be really
    > bright....SCO should be shining example of what can happen when its
    > tried........Groklaw would have a field day....I can so see MS's patents
    > surviving....
    >
    > As it stands it is simply unfair....I am hoping for a court case soon
    > that asks for a declaration that Linux does not infringe any MS
    > patents....I would guess the existing timeout has to expire before
    > anyone can do so.....then Rh or another smaller player can have its day
    > in court (it could even make money on it)....get this FUD out in the
    > open where it can stand or shrivel in the light of day....I look forward
    > to it.

    It is not working too well for M$. That is why M$ shills and
    astroturfers such as 'Mickey Mouse', 'Impossible', 'Fred Dagg', etc are
    working this group with their FUD. This is why M$ oriented interests
    are accusing Pamela Jones of Groklaw of being an IBM agent and why they
    engaged gumshoes to try and get the dirt on her - this is what General
    Motors did with Ralph Nader years ago. General Motors had to publically
    apologise to him for this.

    peterwn, Jun 22, 2007
  4. jack

    BrianM Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:15:05 +1200, jack wrote:

    > I know that US Gangster in the past use the Protection racket, and may

    be still do, but comments
    > from this Web site seems that MS is now upto it..
    >
    > "We don't believe it is necessary for us to get protection from Microsoft

    to do our job, or to pay
    > protection money to anyone."
    >

    > http://www.hardocp.com/?
    >

    > Article
    >
    > http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=9220&pagtype=all

    I thought the big distros were quite polite in basically telling Ms to
    shove it up their ass. Well done. Feel sorry for the chairs in Balmer's
    office.

    brianM

    BrianM, Jun 22, 2007
  5. jack

    peterwn Guest

    BrianM wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:15:05 +1200, jack wrote:

    > I thought the big distros were quite polite in basically telling Ms to
    > shove it up their ass. Well done. Feel sorry for the chairs in Balmer's
    > office.

    The ones who have signed up were basically offered $$$$ to do so -
    probably more than the respective businesses were worth. Novell was a
    slightly special case - M$ wanted to tack the deal on the end of a
    lawsuit settlement - I think Novell is going to have the last laugh on
    this one.

    peterwn, Jun 22, 2007
  6. jack

    Peter Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Laura DiDio, an "analyst" at Boston-based Yankee Group Research.....hmmm
    > yes well....her credibility in the OSS arena is well understood...

    Isn't that the journalist / analyst who wrote articles saying SCO had a
    valid case? It seems like years ago.

    (And for the newcomers ... SCO never did manage to identify any of the
    millions of lines of code they claimed were illegally copied.)

    Peter

    Peter, Jun 22, 2007
  7. jack

    peterwn Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> Laura DiDio, an "analyst" at Boston-based Yankee Group Research.....hmmm
    >> yes well....her credibility in the OSS arena is well understood...

    > Isn't that the journalist / analyst who wrote articles saying SCO had a
    > valid case? It seems like years ago.
    >

    > (And for the newcomers ... SCO never did manage to identify any of the
    > millions of lines of code they claimed were illegally copied.)

    And what is more, SCO at the time was making analysts, etc sign NDA's
    before they were allowed to sight the 'infringing' code. However,
    Yankee Group has a policy of not allowing its staff to sign NDA's, but
    SCO allowed Laura to see the code anyway.

    Some code said to be 'infringing' was indeed among SCO's most holy IP,
    but the same code was also in open source BSD.

    peterwn, Jun 22, 2007
  8. jack

    BrianM Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:16:38 +1200, peterwn wrote:

    > thingy wrote:
    >> jack wrote:
    >>>

    >>> I know that US Gangster in the past use the Protection racket, and may
    >>> be still do, but comments
    >>> from this Web site seems that MS is now upto it..
    >>>
    >>> "We don't believe it is necessary for us to get protection from
    >>> Microsoft to do our job, or to pay
    >>> protection money to anyone."
    >>>
    >>> http://www.hardocp.com/?
    >>>

    >>> Article
    >>>
    >>> http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=9220&pagtype=all
    >>>

    >> So far the only significant signees are ones in the USA? and on dodgy
    >> ground financially....
    >>
    >> Mandriva is not US based, so I am rather unclear on how a US patent
    >> would effect them even if MS found they had a valid one...
    >>
    >> Ubuntu is SAfrica? so would they care either? Worst case on one uses
    >> Ubuntu in the USA....who cares....
    >>
    >> Laura DiDio, an "analyst" at Boston-based Yankee Group Research.....hmmm
    >> yes well....her credibility in the OSS arena is well understood...
    >>
    >> If MS can sue it can only sue US customers....now that would be really
    >> bright....SCO should be shining example of what can happen when its
    >> tried........Groklaw would have a field day....I can so see MS's patents
    >> surviving....
    >>
    >> As it stands it is simply unfair....I am hoping for a court case soon
    >> that asks for a declaration that Linux does not infringe any MS
    >> patents....I would guess the existing timeout has to expire before
    >> anyone can do so.....then Rh or another smaller player can have its day
    >> in court (it could even make money on it)....get this FUD out in the
    >> open where it can stand or shrivel in the light of day....I look forward
    >> to it.
    >>

    > It is not working too well for M$. That is why M$ shills and
    > astroturfers such as 'Mickey Mouse', 'Impossible', 'Fred Dagg', etc are
    > working this group with their FUD. This is why M$ oriented interests
    > are accusing Pamela Jones of Groklaw of being an IBM agent and why they
    > engaged gumshoes to try and get the dirt on her - this is what General
    > Motors did with Ralph Nader years ago. General Motors had to publically
    > apologise to him for this.

    If Pamela Jones "was" an IBM agent, would Ms be trying to dig
    itself out of a shit pile of IBM counter-patents right now?. IBM by the
    same token is not the defacto Linux father xmas; the less commercial Linux
    companies competing with it has to be good, and Xandros
    Novell Linspire and the Zeds may well be written off the list depending on
    the final script of the GPLv3. The Linux community is not going to fall
    over because of a few cash blindsided idiots. In the end, if they survive,
    they might surprise us all and do a "Mandarin syndrome" on the borg.

    cheers
    brianM

    BrianM, Jun 22, 2007
  9. On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:23:05 +0000, BrianM wrote:

    > Feel sorry for the chairs in Balmer's office.

    Bulmer's never going to live that one down - and neither should he.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    bath and a short dress to get into."

    Jonathan Walker, Jun 23, 2007
  10. In article <467b4d24$>, peterwn <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >It is not working too well for M$. That is why M$ shills and
    >astroturfers such as 'Mickey Mouse', 'Impossible', 'Fred Dagg', etc are
    >working this group with their FUD. This is why M$ oriented interests
    >are accusing Pamela Jones of Groklaw of being an IBM agent and why they
    >engaged gumshoes to try and get the dirt on her - this is what General
    >Motors did with Ralph Nader years ago. General Motors had to publically
    >apologise to him for this.

    Never ascribe to conspiracy what is adequately explained by stupidity. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 25, 2007