MS 2008 Product Roll-out

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Scrat, Apr 3, 2008.

  1. Scrat

    Scrat Guest

    Just attended the Microsoft "Heroes Happen here" 2008 product-line roll-out
    in Seattle. Developer Track.

    It was worthwhile simply on the basis of the free software I received:

    1. Enterprise Server 2008, 32-bit and 64-bit versions - 1-year trial license
    2. SQL Server 2008 Standard w/voucher for upgrade to Release - retail
    license
    3. Visual Studio 2008 Standard - retail license
    4. Vista Ultimate 32-bit w/SP1 - retail license
    5. 90 day One-care license
    6. Windows Mobile Developer Resource Kit - trial license (don't know how
    long, haven't opened; probably 1-year)

    I have never been a a fan of Multiple Sclerosis, but I have to admit, if
    these 2008 versions live up to the hype, they are a big step forward for MS.
    Several big-outfit partners testified to some amazing productivity gains
    using Visual Studio. There are some very ambitious per-project productivity
    and profiling tools built right in. 1-year development cycles slashed to 90
    days, etc.

    Not a single crash during the code demonstrations.

    2008 Server looks *very* nice. Open Source has obviously scared-the-hell out
    of them. Among other things, MS appears to have *really* taken
    virtualization to heart. Staging new servers, etc. I'm going to load the
    64-bit version in a bit. I'll report.

    \s

    Scrat, Apr 3, 2008

  2. I've been running Server 2008 for over a year. And in production since the
    fall. I love it. Hyper-V is still beta (well, RC0), but it's already my
    preferred virtualization whenever it will do the job. And the new TS
    RemoteApps functionality simply ROCKS. I'm also a big fan of Server Core.

    Overall, I'd have to say this is a solid release, and one I'm pretty happy
    about.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64