MRTG servers

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Benson, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. Benson

    Benson Guest

    Hi,

    Thank you all experts very much for answering my previous questions.

    This time I would like to query about the Alert signal.

    I am using MRTG to monitor the Cisco Routers, Switches, W2K3 Servers
    and Exchange2003.

    I want to set up some alerts levels on the devices:
    1. a baseline for Router and Switches, so that whenever no traffic
    for 5mins, a Alert Email will send to me via Email System;
    2. Whenever the Bandwidths loading excceeding a certain values,
    a alert signal is sent out.
    3. A baseline for Network devices and Servers CPU ( I shall set
    up 1 min interval monitoring ), whenever a CPU, RAM and Harddisk
    capacities loading excceeds the threshold values, a alert Email
    will send to me via Email System.
    4. A threshold value for Exchange server( say Email Transfer rate ),
    whenever the value is excceeded, a alert signal is sent.

    How can I achieve the above requirements.

    Thank you
    Benson, Sep 7, 2004

  2. Benson

    hdu Guest

    I am not sure but I already with MRTG for many years but never heard that
    can be done with MRTG.

    May be you can check if nagios can do all you needed or you can write it
    your own.

    "Benson" <> ???
    news: ???...

    --
    ~ Samba, more than a low cost File and Printer server ~

    -- Let us OpenSource --

    hdu, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Benson wrote:
    [How do check servers and routers]
    Hello Benson,

    we use for this tasks the tool "servers alive".(Enterprise Edition) ->
    http://www.woodstone.nu/salive/
    With tis tool you can check a lot of items and you have a lot of actions if
    the check fails. Also it will generate automatical a website with the status
    of all your checked items.

    Btw.: We have connect a mobile phone with a serial cable to the salive
    server. Because if your mailserver or your internet access is down, than you
    can receive the information with your mobile phone via SMS.

    Otmar
    Spoettel Otmar, Sep 8, 2004
  4. Benson

    none Guest

    Look at the documentation on these MRTG configuration commands ...

    ThreshMinI[]:
    ThreshMaxI[]:
    ThreshProgI[]:
    ThreshProgOKI[]:

    ThreshMinO[]:
    ThreshMaxO[]:
    ThreshProgO[]:
    ThreshProgOKO[]:

    You'll have to write your own programs to alert you, but MRTG will call them
    when the Min. and Max. values are reached and when they return within normal
    range.

    none, Sep 9, 2004
  5. Benson

    Benson Guest

    Oh....I see

    Thanks a lot..

    I shall write some triggers to send alert signals

    Benson, Sep 9, 2004
  6. Benson

    Benson, Sep 9, 2004