MPLS & transparent bridging

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Anton Turygin, Aug 19, 2005.

  1. Hi!
    I want to configure a tag-switching on a subinterface. But I already have
    two subinterfaces in a bridge-group. The config I want to have looks like:

    int gi0/0.2
    encapsulation dot1Q 2
    bridge-group 1
    int gi0/0.3
    encapsulation dot1Q 3
    bridge-group 1
    int gi0/0.4
    encapsulation dot1Q 4
    ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
    tag-switching ip

    But trying to do so I get an error:

    % MPLS not supported on interface GigabitEthernet0/0.4
    Transparent bridging already configured

    How can I figure out? May be there is another solution to this network
    model?

    --
    RAZ-UANIC
    RAZ-RIPE

    Anton Turygin, Aug 19, 2005

  2. Anton Turygin

    Ivan Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Hi!
    > I want to configure a tag-switching on a subinterface. But I already have
    > two subinterfaces in a bridge-group. The config I want to have looks like:
    >
    > int gi0/0.2
    > encapsulation dot1Q 2
    > bridge-group 1
    > int gi0/0.3
    > encapsulation dot1Q 3
    > bridge-group 1
    > int gi0/0.4
    > encapsulation dot1Q 4
    > ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
    > tag-switching ip
    >
    > But trying to do so I get an error:
    >
    > % MPLS not supported on interface GigabitEthernet0/0.4
    > Transparent bridging already configured
    >
    > How can I figure out? May be there is another solution to this network
    > model?

    This is kind of expected since you should not bridge between "L2" and
    "L3" interfaces. I'm not sure that MPLS is supported with IRB but if it
    is, then soulution would be:

    bridge irb
    bridge 1 protocol ieee

    int gi0/0.2
    encapsulation dot1Q 2
    bridge-group 1
    int gi0/0.3
    encapsulation dot1Q 3
    bridge-group 1
    int gi0/0.4
    encapsulation dot1Q 4
    bridge-group 1
    int bvi 1
    ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
    tag-switching ip

    --
    Ivan

    *** User rot13 to see my eMail address ***

    Ivan, Aug 19, 2005

  3. On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Ivan wrote:

    > In article <>, says...
    >> Hi!
    >> I want to configure a tag-switching on a subinterface. But I already have
    >> two subinterfaces in a bridge-group. The config I want to have looks like:
    >>
    >> int gi0/0.2
    >> encapsulation dot1Q 2
    >> bridge-group 1
    >> int gi0/0.3
    >> encapsulation dot1Q 3
    >> bridge-group 1
    >> int gi0/0.4
    >> encapsulation dot1Q 4
    >> ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
    >> tag-switching ip
    >>
    >> But trying to do so I get an error:
    >>
    >> % MPLS not supported on interface GigabitEthernet0/0.4
    >> Transparent bridging already configured
    >>
    >> How can I figure out? May be there is another solution to this network
    >> model?
    >>

    > This is kind of expected since you should not bridge between "L2" and
    > "L3" interfaces. I'm not sure that MPLS is supported with IRB but if it
    > is, then soulution would be:
    >
    > bridge irb
    > bridge 1 protocol ieee
    >
    > int gi0/0.2
    > encapsulation dot1Q 2
    > bridge-group 1
    > int gi0/0.3
    > encapsulation dot1Q 3
    > bridge-group 1
    > int gi0/0.4
    > encapsulation dot1Q 4
    > bridge-group 1
    > int bvi 1
    > ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
    > tag-switching ip

    That's not actually what I want to achieve.
    gi0/0.4 _MUST NOT_ be the member of bridge-group 1.

    --
    RAZ-UANIC
    RAZ-RIPE

    Anton Turygin, Aug 19, 2005
  4. Anton Turygin

    Ivan Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Ivan wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>, says...
    > >> Hi!
    > >> I want to configure a tag-switching on a subinterface. But I already have
    > >> two subinterfaces in a bridge-group. The config I want to have looks like:
    > >>
    > >> int gi0/0.2
    > >> encapsulation dot1Q 2
    > >> bridge-group 1
    > >> int gi0/0.3
    > >> encapsulation dot1Q 3
    > >> bridge-group 1
    > >> int gi0/0.4
    > >> encapsulation dot1Q 4
    > >> ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
    > >> tag-switching ip
    > >>
    > >> But trying to do so I get an error:
    > >>
    > >> % MPLS not supported on interface GigabitEthernet0/0.4
    > >> Transparent bridging already configured
    > >>
    > >> How can I figure out? May be there is another solution to this network
    > >> model?
    > >>

    > > This is kind of expected since you should not bridge between "L2" and
    > > "L3" interfaces. I'm not sure that MPLS is supported with IRB but if it
    > > is, then soulution would be:
    > >
    > > bridge irb
    > > bridge 1 protocol ieee
    > >
    > > int gi0/0.2
    > > encapsulation dot1Q 2
    > > bridge-group 1
    > > int gi0/0.3
    > > encapsulation dot1Q 3
    > > bridge-group 1
    > > int gi0/0.4
    > > encapsulation dot1Q 4
    > > bridge-group 1
    > > int bvi 1
    > > ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
    > > tag-switching ip
    > >

    > That's not actually what I want to achieve.

    What DO you want to achieve then? What is the requirement? Why did you
    put bridge group on gi0/0.4 in the first place?

    Ivan, Aug 19, 2005
  5. On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Ivan wrote:

    > In article <>, says...
    >> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Ivan wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <>, says...

    >>> This is kind of expected since you should not bridge between "L2" and
    >>> "L3" interfaces. I'm not sure that MPLS is supported with IRB but if it
    >>> is, then soulution would be:
    >>>
    >>> bridge irb
    >>> bridge 1 protocol ieee
    >>>
    >>> int gi0/0.2
    >>> encapsulation dot1Q 2
    >>> bridge-group 1
    >>> int gi0/0.3
    >>> encapsulation dot1Q 3
    >>> bridge-group 1
    >>> int gi0/0.4
    >>> encapsulation dot1Q 4
    >>> bridge-group 1
    >>> int bvi 1
    >>> ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
    >>> tag-switching ip
    >>>

    >> That's not actually what I want to achieve.

    > What DO you want to achieve then? What is the requirement?

    I want to have 2 subinterfaces in a bridge group and 1 subinterface with
    tag-switching configured.

    > Why did you put bridge group on gi0/0.4 in the first place?

    I did no put bridge group on gi0/0.4. It is not a member of a bridge
    group.

    Anton Turygin, Aug 19, 2005