MPI/UCLA Sherlock DVD transfers...disapointing

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Duncan Idaho, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Duncan Idaho

    Duncan Idaho Guest

    Let me first say that I'm not critizing the preservations (which look
    good). But from what I see, the film to DVD transfers were not done well.
    In volumes 1 and 2 (eight films in all) the transfers look too dark with
    overall contrast non-descript. In other words there is not enough contrast
    between black and white. Whites aren't truly white (more of a light grey)
    and blacks are more of a dark grey. This is very annoying.

    I am by no means a techy type and perhaps its not the transfers but the
    prints they used. However, this contrast problem seems evenly
    distributed "across the board" through out each of the films in the first
    and second volumes. And, like I said, volume 2 looks "across the board"
    good.

    I don't have the original Key Video VHS releases to do a strict comparison.
    But from what I remember, those VHS prints had a better "rich black &
    white" quality that is missing from these DVD discs.

    Other DVD releases of old movies also have this strange smoke screen
    quality. (Although, definition and sharpness are almost always much
    improved.) By the way, it's not my equipment, because as I said, there are
    DVD's of old movies that look good (to me).

    Am I blowin smoke here?

    DI
    Duncan Idaho, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Duncan Idaho

    Duncan Idaho Guest

    Duncan Idaho <> wrote in

    > ...In volumes 1 and 2 (eight films in all) the transfers look too
    > dark with overall contrast non-descript.

    Sorry, above paragraph should read: ...in volumes 1 and 3....

    DI
    Duncan Idaho, Feb 5, 2004