    QT's options to choose the correct file associations, but nothing seems
    to be working. Is this an option I need to change in the about:config
    portion of Firefox? I'm using the most current build of 1.5 by the way.

    RyeTronics, Jul 14, 2006

  2. RyeTronics

    gwtc Guest

    RyeTronics wrote:

    > Hi. I recently reinstalled XP, and now I can't seem to figure out how
    > to make ALL videos streamed online play in WMP. The files I'm having
    > trouble with are mpg's, which continue to stream as an embedded
    > Quicktime player in Firefox. I've tried right-clicking on a file on my
    > harddrive and choosing WMP to Always play it, but that only works on
    > files I've already downloaded. I've also tried going into both WMP and
    > QT's options to choose the correct file associations, but nothing seems
    > to be working. Is this an option I need to change in the about:config
    > portion of Firefox? I'm using the most current build of 1.5 by the way.

    maybe its the website, so can you provide a link to the problem site?

    --
    So, You Think You Know Everything?

    Did you know that no word in the English language rhymes with month,
    orange, silver, or purple.

    gwtc, Jul 14, 2006

  3. RyeTronics

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc, Jul 14, 2006
  4. gwtc wrote:
    > RyeTronics wrote:
    >
    >> Hi. I recently reinstalled XP, and now I can't seem to figure out how
    >> to make ALL videos streamed online play in WMP. The files I'm having
    >> trouble with are mpg's, which continue to stream as an embedded
    >> Quicktime player in Firefox. I've tried right-clicking on a file on my
    >> harddrive and choosing WMP to Always play it, but that only works on
    >> files I've already downloaded. I've also tried going into both WMP and
    >> QT's options to choose the correct file associations, but nothing seems
    >> to be working. Is this an option I need to change in the about:config
    >> portion of Firefox? I'm using the most current build of 1.5 by the way.
    >>

    > maybe its the website, so can you provide a link to the problem site?

    WMP doesnt play all mpg files natively, see
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/chrisl/articles/10633.aspx

    QuickTime does include mpg/mpeg capabilities native

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Jul 14, 2006

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Jul 14, 2006
  6. RyeTronics

    hsloane1

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    mpgs won't stream

    I have had the same problem, and although I have not resolved it, I have some leads.

    My problem --- mgs (and mpegs) streamed from the net won't play in various versions of WMP, although they will play from the hard disk. Other formats will play streamed from the net.

    I think it has something to do with buffering, not codecs. If I click on an mpg on the net, I get a frozen frame or sound, but nothing playing. If after the player screen turns black I click tools-options-performance-acceleration and change the setting (it does not matter how I change it or in which direction), it usually starts playing. Sometimes it takes more than one try, but not usually. Some slight wait is required.

    I am sure it is not codecs as I have tried every one in existence.

    I got technical help from Microsoft twice, charged only once, but they were unable to correct it. I do not think they ever believed me about buffering and the acceleration slider. With their techs I have tried every different combo of settings,, and reinstalled WMP 10 and WMP 11 to no avail. If I recall (it was a time ago) an older "classic" version of WMP did not have this problem.

    From this, perhaps someone smarter than I can figure this out. Good luck! Let me know what works.

    hsloane1, Feb 8, 2008