    with MPEG2? Is MPEG4 destine to remain a PC play thing? Just curious.......

    --
    Bob D.
    Bob D., Jun 7, 2005

  2. Bob D.

    Biz Guest

    Directv is alunching 4 new satelittes to handle HD locals in mpeg4 when they
    get it all said and done...I cant remember if Blu-Ray or HD-DVD is going to
    be mpeg4, but I *THOUGHT* it was going to be...

    Biz, Jun 7, 2005

  3. Bob D.

    Galley Guest

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 01:06:42 GMT, "Bob D." <> spewed forth
    these words of wisdom:

    >Is MPEG4 going anywhere, commercially that is? Is BlueRay/HD going to stay
    >with MPEG2? Is MPEG4 destine to remain a PC play thing? Just curious.......

    What video codecs will Blu-ray support?

    The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) is still in the process of finalizing the
    BD-ROM specification, but they have stated that MPEG-4 AVC High Profile
    (previously called FRExt) and Microsoft's VC-1 video codec (the proposed SMPTE
    standard based on WMV9) will be mandatory. They will also include MPEG-2 support
    for playback of HDTV recordings and DVDs. Please note that this simply means
    that all Blu-ray players and recorders will have to support playback of these
    video codecs, it will still be up to the movie studios to decide which video
    codec(s) they use for their releases. The BDA expects the BD-ROM specification
    to be finished some time in the beginning of 2005.

    http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/

    Galley
    Galley, Jun 7, 2005
  4. Bob D.

    Darkknight Guest

    if you want true quality MPEG4 is of no advantage over MPEG2
    to get the same quality from MPEG4 as MPEG2 the files would be about the
    same size, MPEG4 format was designed for easy transfer over the net etc.
    not for real commercial use

    Darkknight, Jun 7, 2005
  5. Bob D.

    Jay G. Guest

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:47:25 +0930, Darkknight wrote:

    > if you want true quality MPEG4 is of no advantage over MPEG2
    > to get the same quality from MPEG4 as MPEG2 the files would be about the
    > same size, MPEG4 format was designed for easy transfer over the net etc.
    > not for real commercial use

    As Galley pointed out, the MPEG4 that the next-gen video formats will use
    is different from the original MPEG4 developed for the net. Specifically,
    it's MPEG-4 AVC High Profile, which is designed to handle both high and low
    bitrates and resolutions.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264

    -Jay
    Jay G., Jun 8, 2005
  6. Bob D.

    Billy Joe Guest

    Jay G. wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:47:25 +0930, Darkknight wrote:
    >
    >> if you want true quality MPEG4 is of no advantage over MPEG2
    >> to get the same quality from MPEG4 as MPEG2 the files would
    >> be about
    >> the same size, MPEG4 format was designed for easy transfer
    >> over the
    >> net etc. not for real commercial use

    > As Galley pointed out, the MPEG4 that the next-gen video
    > formats will
    > use is different from the original MPEG4 developed for the
    > net.
    > Specifically, it's MPEG-4 AVC High Profile, which is designed
    > handle both high and low bitrates and resolutions.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264
    >
    > -Jay

    Some might be interested in this:
    http://www.mainconcept.com/h264_encoder.shtml

    BJ
    Billy Joe, Jun 8, 2005
  7. Bob D.

    Alpha Guest

    "Galley" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 01:06:42 GMT, "Bob D." <> spewed
    > forth
    > these words of wisdom:
    >
    >>Is MPEG4 going anywhere, commercially that is? Is BlueRay/HD going to stay
    >>with MPEG2? Is MPEG4 destine to remain a PC play thing? Just
    >>curious.......

    > What video codecs will Blu-ray support?
    >

    > The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) is still in the process of finalizing
    > the
    > BD-ROM specification, but they have stated that MPEG-4 AVC High Profile
    > (previously called FRExt) and Microsoft's VC-1 video codec (the proposed
    > SMPTE
    > standard based on WMV9) will be mandatory. They will also include MPEG-2
    > support
    > for playback of HDTV recordings and DVDs. Please note that this simply
    > means
    > that all Blu-ray players and recorders will have to support playback of
    > these
    > video codecs, it will still be up to the movie studios to decide which
    > video
    > codec(s) they use for their releases. The BDA expects the BD-ROM
    > specification
    > to be finished some time in the beginning of 2005.

    2006? So Blu Ray will be delayed even more than DVD HD?
    Alpha, Jun 12, 2005
  8. In article <>, Darkknight
    <> wrote:

    >if you want true quality MPEG4 is of no advantage over MPEG2 to
    >get the same quality from MPEG4 as MPEG2 the files would be about
    >the same size, MPEG4 format was designed for easy transfer over
    >the net etc. not for real commercial use

    Actually MPEG4 files can be 1/2 the size of MPEG2 files for the
    samequality.

    And streaming video systems are using MPEG4, which does make it
    easy for net transfer as it is more efficient, and those are
    commercial sites so I don't see how you can say "not for real
    commercial use".

    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Jun 19, 2005