    --
    Robert Hedges
    http://www.ecsd.com/~rhhedgz1/

    Robert H. Hedges, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Robert H. Hedges

    What The! Guest

    Try TMPGEnc DVD Author. It will allow MPEG1 VCD standard files to be added
    to a DVD compilation.

    What The!, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Robert H. Hedges

    ky Guest

    You may burn mpeg-1 as data file to a dvd media playable on a PC. If
    you want to create a dvd playable on a stand-alone dvd play, it has to
    be converted to mpeg-2 format.

    ky, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Robert H. Hedges

    Guest

    (ky) wrote:

    >You may burn mpeg-1 as data file to a dvd media playable on a PC. If
    >you want to create a dvd playable on a stand-alone dvd play, it has to
    >be converted to mpeg-2 format.

    VCD video is DVD compliant (NTSC VCD is 352x240). But VCD
    audio must be resampled at 48kHz to be DVD compliant.

    For NTSC DVD, you can use MPEG2 at 720x480, 704x480, 352x480, or
    352x240. Or MPEG1 at 352x240.

    Apparently, there is something different about his "macintosh" MPEG
    files. If there is an appropriate mac-specific newsgroup, that would
    probably be a good place to ask about it.

    , Dec 19, 2003
  5. Robert H. Hedges

    Anonymous Guest

    On 18 Dec 2003 15:54:41 -0800, (ky) wrote:

    >You may burn mpeg-1 as data file to a dvd media playable on a PC. If
    >you want to create a dvd playable on a stand-alone dvd play, it has to
    >be converted to mpeg-2 format.

    Nope. MPEG-1 is valid for DVD-Video.

    See <http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.4>:

    [...]

    | Allowable picture resolutions are:
    | MPEG-2, 525/60 (NTSC): 720x480, 704x480, 352x480, 352x240
    | MPEG-2, 625/50 (PAL): 720x576, 704x576, 352x576, 352x288
    | MPEG-1, 525/60 (NTSC): 352x240
    | MPEG-1, 625/50 (PAL): 352x288

    [...]

    | MPEG-1 video rate is limited to 1.856 Mbps with a typical rate of 1.15
    | Mbps.

    [...]

    Anonymous, Dec 19, 2003
  6. Robert H. Hedges

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "What The!" <> wrote in message
    > Try TMPGEnc DVD Author. It will allow MPEG1 VCD standard files to be added

    to a DVD compilation.

    Damn! I was just going to say that!

    Jay Stewart, Dec 19, 2003
  7. In rec.video.desktop wrote:
    > (ky) wrote:

    >>You may burn mpeg-1 as data file to a dvd media playable on a PC. If
    >>you want to create a dvd playable on a stand-alone dvd play, it has to
    >>be converted to mpeg-2 format.

    > VCD video is DVD compliant (NTSC VCD is 352x240). But VCD
    > audio must be resampled at 48kHz to be DVD compliant.

    Yes, I discovered that MPack software has a 44khz and 48 khz selection for
    sound built in. I should have originally sampled at 48khz. RH

    > For NTSC DVD, you can use MPEG2 at 720x480, 704x480, 352x480, or
    > 352x240. Or MPEG1 at 352x240.

    Capture is limited by software to 320x240 (I think). I try to change it
    and it is is "constrained" and changes is unison. However the MPack
    encoder does it to 352x240 (???) RH

    > Apparently, there is something different about his "macintosh" MPEG
    > files. If there is an appropriate mac-specific newsgroup, that would
    > probably be a good place to ask about it.

    I could not find it. Google has them all, even those not in Louisville,
    KY. RH

    I think the answer is: a settop DVD player which plays data files.
    Next we need the manufacturers to add a jog dial, and/or a small screen so
    we can have the same slider feature of infinite entry points in any file
    we are watching.

    --
    Robert Hedges
    http://www.ecsd.com/~rhhedgz1/

    Robert H. Hedges, Dec 19, 2003
  8. Robert H. Hedges

    ky Guest

    Well, I learn something new today. Thanks.

    If only they could make mpeg-1 @ higher resolution for DVD... vcd
    352x240 is such crappy quality. I have lots 640x480 & 640x360 mpeg-1
    files and would love to burn to DVDs playable on stand-alone player.

    ky, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Robert H. Hedges

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    On 19 Dec 2003 19:07:21 -0800, (ky) wrote:

    >Well, I learn something new today. Thanks.
    >
    >If only they could make mpeg-1 @ higher resolution for DVD... vcd
    >352x240 is such crappy quality. I have lots 640x480 & 640x360 mpeg-1
    >files and would love to burn to DVDs playable on stand-alone player.

    Get something like the LiteOn LVD-2002:

    <http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=3095&Search=Search&#comments>

    It will play most straight MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 files with no authoring.
    It will also do some MPEG-4 and DivX AVIs. There are a few others
    too.

    However, if you are looking to put higher resolution MPEG-1 files onto
    recordable DVD and have them playable in anything but the vast
    MINORITY of standalone DVD-Video players you are out of luck.

    Nomen Nescio, Dec 20, 2003