    supplied ULEAD software)?

    I don't need menus.... what's most important for me is picture quality.

    Thanks ahead for any help.

    scooby, May 25, 2006

  2. scooby

    unclejr Guest

    scooby wrote:
    > To create a DVD (for play in a set-top DVD player) - is it best to simply
    > burn the .mpg file as a data DVD;

    Not usually. There are a few DVD players that will play raw MPEG-2
    files, but not many.

    > or is it preferable to author the .mpg file to .vob format (using the
    > supplied ULEAD software)?

    Yes, if you want most DVD players to play the data.

    HTH,

    -Junior

    unclejr, May 25, 2006

  3. scooby

    Nonymous Guest

    "unclejr" <> wrote in

    > scooby wrote:
    >> To create a DVD (for play in a set-top DVD player) - is it best to
    >> simply burn the .mpg file as a data DVD;

    > Not usually. There are a few DVD players that will play raw MPEG-2
    > files, but not many.
    >
    >> or is it preferable to author the .mpg file to .vob format (using the
    >> supplied ULEAD software)?

    > Yes, if you want most DVD players to play the data.

    If they're for personal use only, I'd just spend the $65 and get a DVD
    player that's mpeg-2 compliant. You'd then also have the original mpg
    files on the DVDs in case you change your mind later and want to re-encode.

    I've got two DVP642 players that I picked up at Target for something like
    $68 a piece; one for the living room, other later on for the bedroom.

    They'll play just about anything you can through at them... mpeg2, xvid,
    divx, svcd, dvd +r, -r, rw, duel layer, etc. I bought one because I was
    tired of encoding xvid and divx to DVD which was taking up both my time and
    especially my computer's time. Ended up liking it so much that I bought a
    second for the bedroom.

    Like the OP, I also have a PVR-150 card and use the DVD players to playback
    its recordings... record shows with the card, then copy to a DVD
    rewriteable for viewing on the TV. Then I can recylcle the DVD for future
    recordings.

    Nonymous, May 25, 2006
  4. scooby

    Netmask Guest

    "scooby" <> wrote in message
    >I have spent hours and hours googling for the answer to this question,
    > without success
    >

    > I have the Hauppauge PVR-150.
    >
    > I use it record TV programs to my computer hard-drive - the resulting file
    > is a .mpg file.
    >
    > To create a DVD (for play in a set-top DVD player) - is it best to simply
    > burn the .mpg file as a data DVD;
    > or is it preferable to author the .mpg file to .vob format (using the
    > supplied ULEAD software)?
    >
    > I don't need menus.... what's most important for me is picture quality.
    >
    > Thanks ahead for any help.

    Well I would use ConvertXtoDVD as it only take 1 hour for a typical movie to
    convert to DVD format. Simple menu with button and automatic chapters.

    If you are willing to demux the mpeg file into sound and vision files then
    there is a free program called DVDAuthorGUI that only takes 18 minutes to
    process then burn the Video_TS folder to DVD (not in data mode).

    Netmask, May 25, 2006
  5. scooby

    scooby Guest

    Thanks everyone for replying.

    I do have the DVP642, and it does play the .mpg files recorded by the
    Hauppauge PVR-150.
    But it takes a rather long time for a .mpg video to load before the DVP642
    can play it.

    On the other hand, if I convert the same .mpg file to .vob format (using the
    Ulead program that came with the Hauppauge card), - the .vob format DVD
    loads and plays virtually instantly in the DVP642.
    But I think the video quality is not as good as with the original / raw .mpg
    file.

    Does everyone else have the same experience?

    scooby, May 25, 2006
  6. scooby

    Bill's News Guest

    scooby wrote:
    > Thanks everyone for replying.
    >
    > I do have the DVP642, and it does play the .mpg files recorded by
    > the
    > Hauppauge PVR-150.
    > But it takes a rather long time for a .mpg video to load before the
    > DVP642 can play it.

    <snip>

    Are you writing large, > 2 gB, MPG files to DVD?

    I use the H250, it's about 5 years old, and also their USB2 capture
    device. Both operate with WinTV2K and it can be set to break captures
    on-the-fly into whatever size chunks you'd like - I typically use 1.5
    gB because editing out commercials reduces captures by about 1/3.

    Following is a VBScript that you can use to set and unset the Registry
    entry that Hauppauge uses to control capture splits. Save this into a
    file with the extension of .VBS. When you run it (by double clicking
    it), it will assume you'd like 1024 mB (1 gB) splits unless you type
    another value. If you delete the value, or type zero, the script will
    remove the registry entry, returning WinTV2K to its default of no
    breaks.

    I've never had a problem with the Philips player handling 1 or 2 gig
    files, though I have discarded that player in favor of a Buffalo LT
    and subsequently discarded that in favor of direct play from the PC.
    Both the Buffalo and direct play obviate the necessity of burning a
    disc at all. The PC offers more player flexibility than ANY
    stand-alone which I've tried so far and this makes playing captured
    SDTV more palatable on an 1080p monitor.

    --------------------------------------
    Option Explicit

    Dim oScrShell, RegKey, RegItem, NewVal, FiniMsg

    Set oScrShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

    RegKey = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Hauppauge\hcwSlipWriter\"

    On Error Resume Next
    RegItem = oScrShell.RegRead(RegKey & "File_Record_Size")

    If RegItem="" Then
    NewVal=inputbox("Enter a decimal file size", _
    "File Size NOT SET",1024)
    Else
    NewVal=inputbox("Enter a new decimal file size?", _
    "Change file size of " & RegItem & "?",RegItem)
    End If

    If NewVal="" Then
    oScrShell.RegDelete RegKey
    FiniMsg="DELETED"

    ElseIf NewVal+0 = RegItem+0 Then
    FiniMsg="unchanged"

    Else
    oScrShell.RegWrite RegKey & "File_Record_Size",NewVal,"REG_DWORD"
    FiniMsg="Set to " & NewVal

    End If

    WScript.echo "File_Record_Size: " & FiniMsg

    Bill's News, May 25, 2006
  7. scooby

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 25 May 2006 01:51:21 -0400, "scooby" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks everyone for replying.
    >
    >I do have the DVP642, and it does play the .mpg files recorded by the
    >Hauppauge PVR-150.
    >But it takes a rather long time for a .mpg video to load before the DVP642
    >can play it.
    >
    >On the other hand, if I convert the same .mpg file to .vob format (using the
    >Ulead program that came with the Hauppauge card), - the .vob format DVD
    >loads and plays virtually instantly in the DVP642.
    >But I think the video quality is not as good as with the original / raw .mpg
    >file.
    >
    >Does everyone else have the same experience?

    It takes about 20 minutes to make a DVD from mpeg2. No reencoding is
    involved therefore there is no loss of qulaity. The Hauppage program
    DOES reencode unnecessarily that's why the loss in quality.

    ... steve ..

    Steve, May 25, 2006