MPAA makes unauthorized copies of a DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goro, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. Goro

    Goro Guest

    What happens when an organization that is best known for inveighing
    against the unauthorized copying of movies gets caught doing exactly
    that? The Motion Picture Association of America was caught with its
    pants down, admitting to making unauthorized copies of the documentary
    This Film Is Not Yet Rated in advance of this week's Sundance Film
    Festival.

    This Film Is Not Yet Rated looks at the motion picture ratings system
    created and run by the MPAA. Director Kirby Dick submitted the film for
    rating in November. After receiving the movie, the MPAA subsequently
    made copies without Dick's permission. Dick had specifically requested
    in an e-mail that the MPAA not make copies of the movie. The MPAA
    responded by saying that "the confidentiality of your film is our first
    priority."

    Dick later learned that the MPAA made copies of the film to distribute
    them to its employees, despite the MPAA's stance on unauthorized
    copying. Ah, there's nothing like the smell of hypocrisy in the
    morning-apparently the prohibition against copying films without the
    copyright owner's consent doesn't apply to the MPAA. A lawyer for the
    MPAA justified the organization's apparent hypocrisy by saying that
    Dick had invaded the privacy of some MPAA staffers, which justified the
    MPAA's actions.

    Oh, how beautiful...

    -goro-
    Goro, Jan 24, 2006

  2. Goro

    Alpha Guest

    This made my day!

    >A lawyer for the
    > MPAA justified the organization's apparent hypocrisy by saying that
    > Dick had invaded the privacy of some MPAA staffers, which justified the
    > MPAA's actions.

    > Oh, how beautiful...
    >
    > -goro-

    This made my day!
    Alpha, Jan 24, 2006

  3. On 24 Jan 2006 14:56:14 -0800, "Goro" <> wrote:

    >http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060124-6036.html
    >
    >What happens when an organization that is best known for inveighing
    >against the unauthorized copying of movies gets caught doing exactly
    >that? The Motion Picture Association of America was caught with its
    >pants down, admitting to making unauthorized copies of the documentary
    >This Film Is Not Yet Rated in advance of this week's Sundance Film
    >Festival.
    >
    >This Film Is Not Yet Rated looks at the motion picture ratings system
    >created and run by the MPAA. Director Kirby Dick submitted the film for
    >rating in November. After receiving the movie, the MPAA subsequently
    >made copies without Dick's permission. Dick had specifically requested
    >in an e-mail that the MPAA not make copies of the movie. The MPAA
    >responded by saying that "the confidentiality of your film is our first
    >priority."
    >
    >Dick later learned that the MPAA made copies of the film to distribute
    >them to its employees, despite the MPAA's stance on unauthorized
    >copying. Ah, there's nothing like the smell of hypocrisy in the
    >morning-apparently the prohibition against copying films without the
    >copyright owner's consent doesn't apply to the MPAA. A lawyer for the
    >MPAA justified the organization's apparent hypocrisy by saying that
    >Dick had invaded the privacy of some MPAA staffers, which justified the
    >MPAA's actions.

    >Oh, how beautiful...
    >
    >-goro-

    So what the lawyer is saying is Two Wrongs Make a Right?
    Fred C. Dobbs, Jan 25, 2006
  4. Goro

    Bill Ding Guest

    Fred C. Dobbs <> apparently entered a coma as a result
    of insufficient neural activity and collapsed upon the keyboard, his
    nose pressing enough keys to write:

    >So what the lawyer is saying is Two Wrongs Make a Right?

    That appears to be what he's saying.

    We know he's incorrect, however.

    Engineers are well aware that it's THREE LEFTS that makes a RIGHT.

    < How far would Moses have gone if he had taken a poll in >
    < Egypt? >
    < -- Harry S. Truman >
    \vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv/
    Bill Ding, Jan 25, 2006