MPAA gives free anti-downloading DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Modemac, Aug 22, 2006.

  1. Modemac

    Modemac Guest

    Modemac, Aug 22, 2006

  2. Modemac wrote:

    > >From our friends at Boing Boing:

    > http://www.boingboing.net/2006/08/22/riaa_propaganda_movi.html
    >
    > You can download a free propaganda film about how
    > downloading copyrighted movies makes you an EVIL
    > TERRORIST WHO WILL BE TRACKED DOWN AND CAPTURED BY
    > THE GLORIOUS SOLDIERS OF THE GOVERNMENT! What's more,
    > you can order a high-quality copy of the film on DVD,
    > for free!

    Just curious, is the DVD copy protected?

    Have you seen that weird old video they produced against
    computer piracy? Had a black guy wearing a Debbie Gibson
    outfit "rapping" against copying diskettes, while doing
    some kind of "robotic"-style jerky dance, I think.

    It would have been waaay more threatening if they said
    they were going to lock up pirates with that guy in a
    room for an hour.

    Guy was so icky you wouldn't want to kill him for fear
    that you might get some of him on you.

    --
    Be Sure To Visit the 'SubGenius Reverend' Blog:
    http://slackoff.blogspot.com/
    nu-monet v9.0, Aug 22, 2006

  3. Modemac

    Agent Smith Guest

    "Modemac" <> wrote in news:1156277829.580872.37870
    @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    >>From our friends at Boing Boing:

    > http://www.boingboing.net/2006/08/22/riaa_propaganda_movi.html
    >
    > You can download a free propaganda film about how downloading
    > copyrighted movies makes you an EVIL TERRORIST WHO WILL BE TRACKED DOWN
    > AND CAPTURED BY THE GLORIOUS SOLDIERS OF THE GOVERNMENT! What's more,
    > you can order a high-quality copy of the film on DVD, for free!

    Tell your friends. Order trillions. Make the RIAA go broke, from sending
    out vast numbers of these DVD's.
    Agent Smith, Aug 27, 2006
  4. Modemac

    Brody Guest

    Modemac wrote:
    >>From our friends at Boing Boing:

    > http://www.boingboing.net/2006/08/22/riaa_propaganda_movi.html
    >
    > You can download a free propaganda film about how downloading
    > copyrighted movies makes you an EVIL TERRORIST WHO WILL BE TRACKED DOWN
    > AND CAPTURED BY THE GLORIOUS SOLDIERS OF THE GOVERNMENT! What's more,
    > you can order a high-quality copy of the film on DVD, for free!
    >
    > --
    > The High Weirdness Project
    > http://www.modemac.com

    for some reason i'm thinking 'Reefer Madness'
    Brody, Aug 29, 2006
  5. Modemac

    Guest

    I think it's just their attempt to get out the word about how
    downloading is illegal. They're trying to reach out in any way they
    can... I don't think it's a half-bad idea... play it in schools and
    high schools.

    Modemac wrote:
    > >From our friends at Boing Boing:

    > http://www.boingboing.net/2006/08/22/riaa_propaganda_movi.html
    >
    > You can download a free propaganda film about how downloading
    > copyrighted movies makes you an EVIL TERRORIST WHO WILL BE TRACKED DOWN
    > AND CAPTURED BY THE GLORIOUS SOLDIERS OF THE GOVERNMENT! What's more,
    > you can order a high-quality copy of the film on DVD, for free!
    >
    > --
    > The High Weirdness Project
    > http://www.modemac.com
    , Aug 30, 2006
  6. nu-monet v9.0 wrote:
    > Modemac wrote:
    >> >From our friends at Boing Boing:

    >> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/08/22/riaa_propaganda_movi.html
    >>
    >> You can download a free propaganda film about how
    >> downloading copyrighted movies makes you an EVIL
    >> TERRORIST WHO WILL BE TRACKED DOWN AND CAPTURED BY
    >> THE GLORIOUS SOLDIERS OF THE GOVERNMENT! What's more,
    >> you can order a high-quality copy of the film on DVD,
    >> for free!

    > Just curious, is the DVD copy protected?
    >
    > Have you seen that weird old video they produced against
    > computer piracy? Had a black guy wearing a Debbie Gibson
    > outfit "rapping" against copying diskettes, while doing
    > some kind of "robotic"-style jerky dance, I think.
    >
    > It would have been waaay more threatening if they said
    > they were going to lock up pirates with that guy in a
    > room for an hour.
    >
    > Guy was so icky you wouldn't want to kill him for fear
    > that you might get some of him on you.

    DON'T COPY THAT FLOPPY
    BigBrother1984, Aug 31, 2006
  7. Modemac

    Guest

    Dude, it's their version of a public service announcement. Don't say
    you haven't been warned when they come knockin!

    BigBrother1984 wrote:
    > nu-monet v9.0 wrote:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/08/22/riaa_propaganda_movi.html
    > >>
    > >> You can download a free propaganda film about how
    > >> downloading copyrighted movies makes you an EVIL
    > >> TERRORIST WHO WILL BE TRACKED DOWN AND CAPTURED BY
    > >> THE GLORIOUS SOLDIERS OF THE GOVERNMENT! What's more,
    > >> you can order a high-quality copy of the film on DVD,
    > >> for free!

    > > Just curious, is the DVD copy protected?
    > >
    > > Have you seen that weird old video they produced against
    > > computer piracy? Had a black guy wearing a Debbie Gibson
    > > outfit "rapping" against copying diskettes, while doing
    > > some kind of "robotic"-style jerky dance, I think.
    > >
    > > It would have been waaay more threatening if they said
    > > they were going to lock up pirates with that guy in a
    > > room for an hour.
    > >
    > > Guy was so icky you wouldn't want to kill him for fear
    > > that you might get some of him on you.
    > >

    > DON'T COPY THAT FLOPPY
    > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4837609090332617729
    , Aug 31, 2006
  8. Modemac

    Aaron Guest

    Modemac wrote:
    >>From our friends at Boing Boing:

    > http://www.boingboing.net/2006/08/22/riaa_propaganda_movi.html
    >
    > You can download a free propaganda film about how downloading
    > copyrighted movies makes you an EVIL TERRORIST WHO WILL BE TRACKED DOWN
    > AND CAPTURED BY THE GLORIOUS SOLDIERS OF THE GOVERNMENT! What's more,
    > you can order a high-quality copy of the film on DVD, for free!
    >
    > --
    > The High Weirdness Project
    > http://www.modemac.com

    I love that trailer they're putting at the beginning of some DVDs now
    with the kids downloading movies on their computer and there is some
    song in the background and it flashes "YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR," blah
    blah blah, "DON'T STEAL MOVIES."

    That rationalization is so played out. Okay, I'm not saying that people
    SHOULD steal music or movies, but it's just not the same THING, people!
    If I steal your car, you can't drive it anymore. Yet, if I copy your
    movie, we BOTH can watch it... At the same TIME, even. In DIFFERENT
    places! If I could wave a magic wand and make a total duplicate of your
    car and drive away in it, would that bother you? You still have YOURS,
    right?

    The only person bothered by that idea is the CAR MANUFACTURER who has
    now been denied the ability to sell you that car from HIS factory. The
    funny thing about this metaphor is that, if you want to stretch it the
    whole way, the car manufacturer is using almost the same magic wand to
    make his cars, it's just that he invented them so he deserves to profit
    from its copies. That's what copyright is SUPPOSED to protect.

    I'm getting all riled up now, I think I'll take it a step further. What
    actually happens is that the factory owner gets mad at you for copying
    the car because he is legally entitled to the profits from said copies,
    even though he makes them the same way, but the car itself was invented
    by someone else who may or may not care that you are making copies of
    it, and what's more, the person who invented the car can't modify it or
    copy it themselves because the factory owner now has all the rights to
    it.

    The music industry is fucked up.

    Digital media has transformed the way we, as a citizenship, think about
    possession. Unfortunately, those who govern over us and those who set
    the legal parameters of possession haven't transformed their perceptions
    yet.

    --
    Aaron

    "Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems
    good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the
    rest." -- John Stuart Mill
    Aaron, Sep 7, 2006
  9. Modemac

    trippy Guest

    In article <>, Aaron took
    the hamburger meat, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh Wow"...

    > Modemac wrote:
    > >>From our friends at Boing Boing:

    > > http://www.boingboing.net/2006/08/22/riaa_propaganda_movi.html
    > >
    > > You can download a free propaganda film about how downloading
    > > copyrighted movies makes you an EVIL TERRORIST WHO WILL BE TRACKED DOWN
    > > AND CAPTURED BY THE GLORIOUS SOLDIERS OF THE GOVERNMENT! What's more,
    > > you can order a high-quality copy of the film on DVD, for free!
    > >
    > > --
    > > The High Weirdness Project
    > > http://www.modemac.com

    > I love that trailer they're putting at the beginning of some DVDs now
    > with the kids downloading movies on their computer and there is some
    > song in the background and it flashes "YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR," blah
    > blah blah, "DON'T STEAL MOVIES."
    >
    > That rationalization is so played out. Okay, I'm not saying that people
    > SHOULD steal music or movies, but it's just not the same THING, people!

    Sure it is. You *are* taking royalties away from the artists. By
    downloading a song and not paying for it, you are depriving artists of
    their due share of the money for a song. Their work, their
    artistic/intellectual property, their money. And filesharing makes it
    all the more easier. Download enough songs and you don't have to buy
    their album and there's millions of people on the internet. If
    everyone was to download the album for free, what do you think the
    artists would make? Zilch. Why buy something when you can get it for
    free?

    But I too download songs from the net, for free, using my favorite
    filesharing proggie for three reasons.

    1) The schemes to provide content to people legally are ridiculous,
    for the most part. I use the Yahoo Launchcast service for free. It's
    okay except that part of the subscription benefits is unlimited song
    skipping. So, once the free skips run out, it's all crap that you
    really, really wish you could skip through.

    They play 800 kazillion ads an hour. Pay a small subscription rate and
    no ads. However, the ads play way more frequently than on commerical
    radio. That's wrong. At least cut it down to that much, if you're
    going to do something like that.

    Part of the deal they've worked out in order to provide this service
    is that they can't play only the songs you rate. This too means a lot
    of crap you wish you could skip through. Although, I will be honest
    and say that I have found songs to add due to this. Also, they play
    stuff that's just coming out too so you can look superleet by blending
    old/new sounds. Still, if you're going to have people rate songs, let
    them hear them. Work out a better deal so that you don't have wade
    through as much crap to hear the songs you pick.

    2) Sometimes I just want to hear a song and not have the whole radio
    experience.

    3) I've tried to find some of my favorite songs legally and they don't
    even make the discs anymore. Also, the music that is produced legally
    is priced sky high.

    4) I haven't heard of an artist going broke yet due to filesharing.
    Additionally, most of your piracy is going on overseas, where US laws
    don't apply.

    --
    trippy
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

    NP: "To Live And Die In L.A." -- Wang Chung

    "Now, technology's getting better all the time and that's fine,
    but most of the time all you need is a stick of gum, a pocketknife,
    and a smile."

    -- Robert Redford "Spy Game"
    trippy, Sep 9, 2006
  10. Modemac

    Aaron Guest

    trippy wrote:
    > In article <>, Aaron took
    > the hamburger meat, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh Wow"...

    >> > http://www.boingboing.net/2006/08/22/riaa_propaganda_movi.html
    >> >
    >> > You can download a free propaganda film about how downloading
    >> > copyrighted movies makes you an EVIL TERRORIST WHO WILL BE

    TRACKED DOWN
    >> > AND CAPTURED BY THE GLORIOUS SOLDIERS OF THE GOVERNMENT! What's

    more,
    >> > you can order a high-quality copy of the film on DVD, for free!
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > The High Weirdness Project
    >> > http://www.modemac.com

    >> I love that trailer they're putting at the beginning of some DVDs now
    >> with the kids downloading movies on their computer and there is some
    >> song in the background and it flashes "YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR," blah
    >> blah blah, "DON'T STEAL MOVIES."
    >>
    >> That rationalization is so played out. Okay, I'm not saying that people
    >> SHOULD steal music or movies, but it's just not the same THING, people!

    > Sure it is. You *are* taking royalties away from the artists. By
    > downloading a song and not paying for it, you are depriving artists of
    > their due share of the money for a song. Their work, their

    Granted.

    The point I was trying to make was merely that the metaphor is NOT THAT
    SIMPLE. You can't say that by taking the song from someone you are
    depriving them of it. It's much more abstract than that, and yes, it's
    detrimental to the artists and labels that (presumably) you should be
    supporting. I say presumably because there is a chance that if they'd
    bought the actual album, they would have returned it. People who
    download illegal music are much more likely to be experimenting because
    it's free.

    Also, let us not forget that in most cases you are ripping off the
    record label a lot more fiercely than the artist, as the artist receives
    only the smallest portion of record sales. If you really support an
    artist, you would do better to attend their concerts and buy their
    merchandise, for which they receive a larger cut.

    > artistic/intellectual property, their money. And filesharing makes it
    > all the more easier. Download enough songs and you don't have to buy

    "All the more easier?" That's like a double adjective, you can't do
    that.

    > their album and there's millions of people on the internet. If
    > everyone was to download the album for free, what do you think the
    > artists would make? Zilch. Why buy something when you can get it for
    > free?

    That's exactly it. Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow? Why
    buy what you can steal?

    > But I too download songs from the net, for free, using my favorite
    > filesharing proggie for three reasons.
    >
    > 1) The schemes to provide content to people legally are ridiculous,
    > for the most part. I use the Yahoo Launchcast service for free. It's
    > okay except that part of the subscription benefits is unlimited song
    > skipping. So, once the free skips run out, it's all crap that you
    > really, really wish you could skip through.
    >
    > They play 800 kazillion ads an hour. Pay a small subscription rate and
    > no ads. However, the ads play way more frequently than on commerical
    > radio. That's wrong. At least cut it down to that much, if you're
    > going to do something like that.

    Nearly all of the legal, digital music distribution channels right now
    suck, and it's for a simple reason: the music industry is a huge
    conglomeration of fantastically wealthy companies who can't dream of
    giving up control. Control over the playability of the tracks, control
    over the platforms they can be played on and by whom they can be played.

    We won't have high-quality, digital music distribution systems until
    they realize that THEY'VE ALREADY LOST CONTROL. Right now I can download
    an mp3 file from an illegal service and ANYONE can play it, or burn it,
    or edit it. And guess what? The same is true for a CD I bought.

    The people just want the same amount of flexibility as they've always
    had, and they want to be TRUSTED with it. Record labels treat people
    like criminals even before they've done anything illegal. We hate that.

    > Part of the deal they've worked out in order to provide this service
    > is that they can't play only the songs you rate. This too means a lot
    > of crap you wish you could skip through. Although, I will be honest
    > and say that I have found songs to add due to this. Also, they play
    > stuff that's just coming out too so you can look superleet by blending
    > old/new sounds. Still, if you're going to have people rate songs, let
    > them hear them. Work out a better deal so that you don't have wade
    > through as much crap to hear the songs you pick.

    Try pandora. It's free. www.pandora.com. There are limited skips without
    a subscription, but there are NEVER audio ads, and you can always rate
    something thumbs down to hear the next track, which DOES affect the
    music played, but hey, if you hated it, you probably don't want to hear
    more like it.

    > 2) Sometimes I just want to hear a song and not have the whole radio
    > experience.
    >
    > 3) I've tried to find some of my favorite songs legally and they don't
    > even make the discs anymore. Also, the music that is produced legally
    > is priced sky high.

    The price is another reason why iTunes Music Store is doing so well. The
    days of $20 albums on CD are over. People who pay those rates are the
    stragglers.

    > 4) I haven't heard of an artist going broke yet due to filesharing.
    > Additionally, most of your piracy is going on overseas, where US laws
    > don't apply.

    Not a single one has.

    Janis Ian is a multiple Grammy Award-winning singer/songwriter who loves
    the idea of file sharing and pretty much rails against the RIAA in this
    two-part article on her website.

    Read: http://www.janisian.com/article-internet_debacle.html

    The popular group Harvey Danger released their latest album for free on
    the Internet, and here's why:

    http://www.harveydanger.com/press/why.php

    That should be enough for now.

    Aaron, Sep 11, 2006
  11. Modemac

    trippy Guest

    In article <>, Aaron took
    the hamburger meat, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh Wow"...

    > trippy wrote:
    > > In article <>, Aaron took
    > > the hamburger meat, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh Wow"...

    > TRACKED DOWN

    > more,

    > >> I love that trailer they're putting at the beginning of some DVDs now
    > >> with the kids downloading movies on their computer and there is some
    > >> song in the background and it flashes "YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR," blah
    > >> blah blah, "DON'T STEAL MOVIES."
    > >>
    > >> That rationalization is so played out. Okay, I'm not saying that people
    > >> SHOULD steal music or movies, but it's just not the same THING, people!

    > > Sure it is. You *are* taking royalties away from the artists. By
    > > downloading a song and not paying for it, you are depriving artists of
    > > their due share of the money for a song. Their work, their

    > Granted.
    >
    > The point I was trying to make was merely that the metaphor is NOT THAT
    > SIMPLE. You can't say that by taking the song from someone you are
    > depriving them of it.

    Not the song itself, their share of the money for that song. Nobody's
    trying to pawn it off as their own. That said I get what you're
    saying. But okay, dig this. You're about to release your album. Pre-
    release buzz says it's all that *and* the bag of chips. 2 days before
    you release the album, someone leaks some of the tracks. Because they
    ship them to the place before they actually sell the discs. Now your
    revenue's slashed by who knows how much because the cool songs you'd
    buy the album for are being downloaded via the net. But even if that
    doesn't happen you can still get hosed because the disc is going to be
    released eventually. Once a person buys the album, he has the ability
    to post the tracks online. That's not good if it happens on say
    wednesday and people were planning to buy the album on Friday.

    Pepsi had one of the most brilliant campaigns a couple of summers
    back. Remember when the RIAA was suing the crap out of people a couple
    for downloading and got all that negative press? Pepsi completely
    capitalized on it by buying downloads and giving them away with the
    purchase of pepsi products. The only snag was they were iTunes
    downloads. Fine if you like using iTunes, not everyone does. Also,
    iTunes doesn't really let you save songs. It's stored on their thing,
    not like a normal mp3 which you can save anywhere you want. This means
    if you lose your songs, you're fucked.

    > It's much more abstract than that, and yes, it's
    > detrimental to the artists and labels that (presumably) you should be
    > supporting. I say presumably because there is a chance that if they'd
    > bought the actual album, they would have returned it.

    Well, I have to give you that. Unless there's a recall or something
    there's no mass returns on albums. People who buy it, keep it.

    > People who
    > download illegal music are much more likely to be experimenting because
    > it's free.

    Free's a pretty powerful incentive. Some people will be turned off and
    never download again. That's a pretty small minority, imo. Let's face
    it, who stops at one song? Nobody.

    > Also, let us not forget that in most cases you are ripping off the
    > record label a lot more fiercely than the artist, as the artist receives
    > only the smallest portion of record sales. If you really support an
    > artist, you would do better to attend their concerts and buy their
    > merchandise, for which they receive a larger cut.

    But Ticketmaster takes the lion's share there too. Unless you're so
    huge that you can make the companies give that to you, you're not
    making anywhere near something, fair, for lack of a better word.
    Granted the concert circuit's very lucrative, especially with
    ticketmaster prices, so the artist does get more but only because of
    the numbers involved. Percentage wise, compared to the promoters, I
    bet it's still dick.

    > > artistic/intellectual property, their money. And filesharing makes it
    > > all the more easier. Download enough songs and you don't have to buy

    > "All the more easier?" That's like a double adjective, you can't do
    > that.

    All the more easy? Still too wordy but at least it tries to be more
    gramatically correct. Just ignore that the rest of the sentence is
    atrocious and work with me. Thanks.

    > > their album and there's millions of people on the internet. If
    > > everyone was to download the album for free, what do you think the
    > > artists would make? Zilch. Why buy something when you can get it for
    > > free?

    > That's exactly it. Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow? Why
    > buy what you can steal?

    Can't beat free.

    > > But I too download songs from the net, for free, using my favorite
    > > filesharing proggie for three reasons.
    > >
    > > 1) The schemes to provide content to people legally are ridiculous,
    > > for the most part. I use the Yahoo Launchcast service for free. It's
    > > okay except that part of the subscription benefits is unlimited song
    > > skipping. So, once the free skips run out, it's all crap that you
    > > really, really wish you could skip through.
    > >
    > > They play 800 kazillion ads an hour. Pay a small subscription rate and
    > > no ads. However, the ads play way more frequently than on commerical
    > > radio. That's wrong. At least cut it down to that much, if you're
    > > going to do something like that.

    > Nearly all of the legal, digital music distribution channels right now
    > suck, and it's for a simple reason: the music industry is a huge
    > conglomeration of fantastically wealthy companies who can't dream of
    > giving up control. Control over the playability of the tracks, control
    > over the platforms they can be played on and by whom they can be played.
    >
    > We won't have high-quality, digital music distribution systems until
    > they realize that THEY'VE ALREADY LOST CONTROL. Right now I can download
    > an mp3 file from an illegal service and ANYONE can play it, or burn it,
    > or edit it. And guess what? The same is true for a CD I bought.

    Yep.

    > The people just want the same amount of flexibility as they've always
    > had, and they want to be TRUSTED with it. Record labels treat people
    > like criminals even before they've done anything illegal. We hate that.

    Yeah, the heavy handed Darth RIAA tactics don't exactly endear them to
    the public. Nor does installing rootkits on people's computers. That's
    evil and fucking ridiculous.

    And I don't want to sound like I'm "RIAA YAY!" I'm not. I just think
    that we should call it what it is. It's copyright infringement. We're
    damaging the RIAA's profits. These companies *do* have the right to
    earn a profit and that profit derives from mass sales of a particular
    product. Even if you distribute that product for free, without
    compensating them, you're unduly depriving them of the rewards of
    whatever efforts they've made to provide the product. It doesn't
    matter if it's music, hammers, or whatever. It's wrong.

    But *you* aren't mass downloading, neither is anyone else. That may be
    but it doesn't matter. The distribution is just too easy now. Before
    with videocassettes and tapes, you had to record it on to a medium.
    That meant you had to buy blank tapes. You had to physically record it
    and transport it. You don't even need to do that now. You can get a
    song as a file on your computer and send it with a click of a button.
    Ok, a few clicks but still... Yeah, there was piracy before the
    internet. But it was a lot more inconvienent. That's gone. You don't
    need a disc or a tape to hear a song whenever you want anymore. You
    don't need a disc or a tape to distribute one either. And there's a
    lot of people on the internet. A LOT of people that download almost-
    legal music. Even a few songs per person, shared among your friends
    can be damaging if everyone else is doing it too. And almost everybody
    is doing it. Let's not lie about that. That's mass distribution for
    which the companies and the artist receive ZERO compensation. It would
    be like if Wal-Mart decided to carry every album and say "Welp, screw
    you, you're not getting royalties." Even if they gave the albums away,
    they'd still get hosed. Until they worked out the deal to save their
    ass anyway.

    There's lots of Wal-Marts, there's even more clients on a p2p network.

    The reason why Napster and Kazaa and soon to be Limewire are getting
    shut down is because the RIAA has a case and it's been ordered by a
    court of law. The reason why they don't go to jail is because the
    civil penalties alone are enough to immediately destroy them and they
    cave like that. They're the RIAA's bitch at that point, so they give
    in and shut it down.

    > > Part of the deal they've worked out in order to provide this service
    > > is that they can't play only the songs you rate. This too means a lot
    > > of crap you wish you could skip through. Although, I will be honest
    > > and say that I have found songs to add due to this. Also, they play
    > > stuff that's just coming out too so you can look superleet by blending
    > > old/new sounds. Still, if you're going to have people rate songs, let
    > > them hear them. Work out a better deal so that you don't have wade
    > > through as much crap to hear the songs you pick.

    > Try pandora. It's free. www.pandora.com.

    I didn't like it at all. YMMV. I will admit, I did air out on the
    Launchcast but it's been the most reliable and best service yet.
    Pandora didn't play any song I put in the search box. Oh wait, one.
    They worked out an even shittier deal than Yahoo did, imo anyway.

    > There are limited skips without
    > a subscription, but there are NEVER audio ads, and you can always rate
    > something thumbs down to hear the next track, which DOES affect the
    > music played, but hey, if you hated it, you probably don't want to hear
    > more like it.

    I wouldn't mind the ads so much if there weren't so many. I expected
    some kind of advertising, I just didn't expect how much they actually
    want to play. They should lower it.

    > > 2) Sometimes I just want to hear a song and not have the whole radio
    > > experience.
    > >
    > > 3) I've tried to find some of my favorite songs legally and they don't
    > > even make the discs anymore. Also, the music that is produced legally
    > > is priced sky high.

    > The price is another reason why iTunes Music Store is doing so well. The
    > days of $20 albums on CD are over. People who pay those rates are the
    > stragglers.

    And chumps who need to quit shopping at the mall.

    > > 4) I haven't heard of an artist going broke yet due to filesharing.
    > > Additionally, most of your piracy is going on overseas, where US laws
    > > don't apply.

    > Not a single one has.
    >
    > Janis Ian is a multiple Grammy Award-winning singer/songwriter who loves
    > the idea of file sharing and pretty much rails against the RIAA in this
    > two-part article on her website.
    >
    > Read: http://www.janisian.com/article-internet_debacle.html

    Good article.

    Again, I'm not the RIAA's biggest fan. But from a business and law
    sense, I get what they're saying. You're not allowed to impede
    someone's profit through mass distribution. If anyone thought someone
    was doing it to try and tank a company, they gummint would be all over
    it. But I do encourage everyone to read Janis' article. And in the
    end, we are talking about less profit for the big recording companies.
    They're not going under anytime soon. They're huge corporate entities.
    Let's not lie about that either.

    > The popular group Harvey Danger released their latest album for free on
    > the Internet, and here's why:
    >
    > http://www.harveydanger.com/press/why.php

    I may actually check this out. I liked Flagpole Sitta. They will get
    more exposure this way. Guess their experiment depends on how good the
    album is. If it's good, they're golden. If it's a big blob of meh or
    worse, all the internet in the world's not gonna help them.

    > That should be enough for now.

    Yeah, I wasn't really planning to write a book about it.

    trippy, Sep 12, 2006
  12. trippy wrote:
    > In article <>, Aaron took
    > the hamburger meat, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh Wow"...
    >

    >>trippy wrote:
    >> > In article <>, Aaron took
    >> > the hamburger meat, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh Wow"...

    >>TRACKED DOWN

    >>more,

    >> > Sure it is. You *are* taking royalties away from the artists. By
    >> > downloading a song and not paying for it, you are depriving artists of
    >> > their due share of the money for a song. Their work, their

    >>Granted.
    >>
    >>The point I was trying to make was merely that the metaphor is NOT THAT
    >>SIMPLE. You can't say that by taking the song from someone you are
    >>depriving them of it.

    > Not the song itself, their share of the money for that song. Nobody's
    > trying to pawn it off as their own. That said I get what you're
    > saying. But okay, dig this. You're about to release your album. Pre-
    > release buzz says it's all that *and* the bag of chips. 2 days before
    > you release the album, someone leaks some of the tracks. Because they
    > ship them to the place before they actually sell the discs. Now your
    > revenue's slashed by who knows how much because the cool songs you'd
    > buy the album for are being downloaded via the net. But even if that
    > doesn't happen you can still get hosed because the disc is going to be
    > released eventually. Once a person buys the album, he has the ability
    > to post the tracks online. That's not good if it happens on say
    > wednesday and people were planning to buy the album on Friday.
    >
    > Pepsi had one of the most brilliant campaigns a couple of summers
    > back. Remember when the RIAA was suing the crap out of people a couple
    > for downloading and got all that negative press? Pepsi completely
    > capitalized on it by buying downloads and giving them away with the
    > purchase of pepsi products. The only snag was they were iTunes
    > downloads. Fine if you like using iTunes, not everyone does. Also,
    > iTunes doesn't really let you save songs. It's stored on their thing,
    > not like a normal mp3 which you can save anywhere you want. This means
    > if you lose your songs, you're fucked.

    iTunes has a CD burning function. You can then take the tracks on that
    CD and do whatever you want with them. All my purchased iTunes tracks
    get converted to 320mbps .mp3s almost immediately.

    Well, whaddaya know? War WAS the answer, after all. Go figure.

    A lone Micronaut lost in a world of Star Wars action figures,
    (The Excessively Parenthetical) Geena-- Worrier Princess

    "Reciprocity... is the key to every relationship."
    --LAPD Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell), in L.A. Confidential

    "Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be famous for fifteen
    minutes. The unfortunate corollary is that everyone will also appear in
    a Freddie Prinze, Jr. movie for fifteen minutes."
    --me

    "This is like driving a Rolls Royce, naked, in mink underpants."
    --Tony Bourdain

    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it
    but at the very least you need a beer."
    -- Frank Zappa

    "I'm not sayin' it's the best thing in the world FOR ya; I'm just sayin'
    it's the best thing in the world."
    -- Alton Brown

    "The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is
    that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes,
    wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their
    prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet
    this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all
    the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in
    all history."
    -- Robert Heinlein
    Geena Phillips, Sep 12, 2006
  13. Modemac

    DK Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >trippy wrote:
    >
    >iTunes has a CD burning function. You can then take the tracks on that
    >CD and do whatever you want with them. All my purchased iTunes tracks
    >get converted to 320mbps .mp3s almost immediately.

    Which is silly. iTunes Store uses lousy 128 kbps AAC format which is
    an equivalent of 160 kbps mp3. Using 320K on these achieves only one
    thing - blows the size of the file.

    DK
    DK, Sep 12, 2006
  14. DK wrote:
    > In article <>, wrote:
    >
    >>trippy wrote:
    >>
    >>iTunes has a CD burning function. You can then take the tracks on that
    >>CD and do whatever you want with them. All my purchased iTunes tracks
    >>get converted to 320mbps .mp3s almost immediately.

    > Which is silly. iTunes Store uses lousy 128 kbps AAC format which is
    > an equivalent of 160 kbps mp3. Using 320K on these achieves only one
    > thing - blows the size of the file.

    What can I tell you? I prefer to have all my .mp3s the same bitrate and,
    since most of the music on my computer comes from my CD collection, I
    want that bitrate to be as high as possible. Besides, I use iTunes
    primarily for podcasts, and other places I buy music use more favorable
    bitrates.

    Geena Phillips, Sep 20, 2006