MPAA accused of hiring hackers

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Modemac, May 25, 2006.

  1. Modemac

    Modemac Guest

    Modemac, May 25, 2006

  2. Modemac

    Rich Guest

    On 25 May 2006 04:46:13 -0700, "Modemac" <> wrote:

    >The MPAA is accused of hiring a hacker to steal information from a
    >company accused of helping those Evil Internet Movie Pirates:
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6076665.html
    >
    >I guess nothing is off-limits in the holy war to defend the old way of
    >life from new technologies.

    The question is, why is this a civil lawsuit and not a criminal
    investigation of the MPAA? Hackers serve real jail time nowadays
    and it would be wonderful to see someone from the MPAA behind bars.

    Rich, May 25, 2006

  3. Modemac

    jmcgill Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > The question is, why is this a civil lawsuit and not a criminal
    > investigation of the MPAA?

    Perhaps the evidence is not to the standard that would be necessary to
    persuade an Attorney General to take action.

    It is FAR easier to press a civil suit. In some states, you can make a
    civil suit, even if your claims are completely preposterous. Sure, your
    case will probably be thrown out, but you will get the first hearing.

    jmcgill, May 25, 2006
  4. Modemac

    Bratboy Guest

    "jmcgill" <> wrote in message
    > Rich wrote:
    >> The question is, why is this a civil lawsuit and not a criminal
    >> investigation of the MPAA?

    > Perhaps the evidence is not to the standard that would be necessary to
    > persuade an Attorney General to take action.
    >
    > It is FAR easier to press a civil suit. In some states, you can make a
    > civil suit, even if your claims are completely preposterous. Sure, your
    > case will probably be thrown out, but you will get the first hearing.

    Yeah, sort of like all thee criminal trials where the person is found
    innocent but then they get sued in Civil Court over same issues. Like
    happened with OJ and the other more recent case, I cant think of the guys
    name right now. In both cases tho they were found innocent of charge of
    Murder but then OJ lost everything in a civil suit over the same issue. The
    judicial system has never made sense to me, if your found innocent then that
    should be it not get a second shot

    Bratboy, May 25, 2006
  5. On 25 May 2006 04:46:13 -0700,
    Modemac <> wrote:

    >I guess nothing is off-limits in the holy war to defend the old way of
    >life from new technologies.

    I'm teh cCRAZY durnsk! `, ) ...but I must eat smaksk...and then drink
    more...not quits notally inebrated yet. I'VE OGTS PEPERONI POTATO
    CHIPSQ1!1! *BURPS* scuze me...Big Daddy Howard just burped me. All
    better now. +_+

    --
    Onideus Mad Chatterly

    "Oh, I feel real good about my oncoming hurricane now that Lady C has
    jumped into the discussion." -- Yomamma bin Crawdaddin

    Onideus Mad Chatterly, May 25, 2006
  6. Modemac

    Justin Guest

    Bratboy wrote on [Thu, 25 May 2006 09:44:23 -0600]:

    > "jmcgill" <> wrote in message
    >> Rich wrote:
    >>> The question is, why is this a civil lawsuit and not a criminal
    >>> investigation of the MPAA?

    >> Perhaps the evidence is not to the standard that would be necessary to
    >> persuade an Attorney General to take action.
    >>
    >> It is FAR easier to press a civil suit. In some states, you can make a
    >> civil suit, even if your claims are completely preposterous. Sure, your
    >> case will probably be thrown out, but you will get the first hearing.

    > Yeah, sort of like all thee criminal trials where the person is found
    > innocent but then they get sued in Civil Court over same issues. Like
    > happened with OJ and the other more recent case, I cant think of the guys
    > name right now. In both cases tho they were found innocent of charge of
    > Murder but then OJ lost everything in a civil suit over the same issue. The
    > judicial system has never made sense to me, if your found innocent then that
    > should be it not get a second shot

    OJ wasn't found innocent. He was found Not Guilty beyond a reasonable
    doubt for the criminal act. He was found Guilty by the civil system for
    wrongful death. Reasonable doubt plays a much smaller part in the civil
    system.

    The other guy you are thinking of is the Blake guy.

    Justin, May 25, 2006
  7. Modemac

    BTR1701 Guest

    In article <tSidg.5915$_c1.899@fed1read05>,
    jmcgill <> wrote:

    > Rich wrote:
    > > The question is, why is this a civil lawsuit and not a criminal
    > > investigation of the MPAA?

    > Perhaps the evidence is not to the standard that would be necessary to
    > persuade an Attorney General to take action.
    >
    > It is FAR easier to press a civil suit. In some states, you can make a
    > civil suit, even if your claims are completely preposterous. Sure, your
    > case will probably be thrown out, but you will get the first hearing.

    Kinda like the RIAA suing people who have never even owned a computer
    for illegal music downloading.

    BTR1701, May 26, 2006
  8. Modemac

    trippy Guest

    In article <>,
    Modemac took the hamburger meat, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh
    Wow"...

    > The MPAA is accused of hiring a hacker to steal information from a
    > company accused of helping those Evil Internet Movie Pirates:
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6076665.html
    >
    > I guess nothing is off-limits in the holy war to defend the old way of
    > life from new technologies.

    Hey, what about China and other parts of Asia where all the pirating
    happens?

    --
    trippy
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

    NP: "Damn" -- Matchbox 20

    "Now, technology's getting better all the time and that's fine,
    but most of the time all you need is a stick of gum, a pocketknife,
    and a smile."

    -- Robert Redford "Spy Game"

    trippy, May 27, 2006