    no commercial option.
    Mark
    Aus

    Clubsprint, Mar 1, 2007

  2. Clubsprint

    DC Guest

    Get the VLC (video lan client (or something) ) player, just type it in
    google, works with everything

    DC, Mar 1, 2007

  3. Clubsprint

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 15:36:47 +1100, "Clubsprint"
    <> wrote:

    >G'day all
    >I downloaded a couple of video files with the extension
    >mp4 which apears to be MPEG-4 files. Windows media player
    >will play the audio of the files but does not play the video.
    >I've been netsurfing to try and find a free codec that will
    >work for these but to no avail. The files have h264 in the name
    >so this seems significant. Other than being able to find a codec
    >I have a machine that will play them, but is unsuitable for extended
    >viewing.
    >How do I find which codec is being used on this machine.
    >I can't get any information from the source as they were obtained
    >via torrent. Before the high horses arrive it's the only access I have to
    >this particular (Aussie Rules Football) sporting replay as there is
    >no commercial option.
    >Mark
    >Aus

    Get AVIcodec from http://avicodec.duby.info/ . This will tell you
    exactly what codec the file needs. There are links to codec packs on
    the page too.

    GraB, Mar 1, 2007
  4. Clubsprint

    Clubsprint Guest

    Thank you so much.
    Works a dream. I've been unable to find anything else to play this file.
    If anyones interested in what I'm watching search for "Hawthorn" on
    mininova.org and download and watch the Hawthorn vs Melbourne NAB cup game.
    I wont tell you who won. One of the toughest games in the world.
    Mark
    Aus

    Clubsprint, Mar 1, 2007
  5. Clubsprint

    Clubsprint Guest

    Thanks but this didn't work. Wouldn't recognise the required codec.
    Mark
    Aus

    Clubsprint, Mar 1, 2007
  6. Clubsprint

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 18:23:48 +1100, "Clubsprint"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks but this didn't work. Wouldn't recognise the required codec.
    >Mark
    >Aus

    Its a pain when people choose to use obscure codecs, hey?

    GraB, Mar 1, 2007
  7. Clubsprint

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 18:23:48 +1100, "Clubsprint"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks but this didn't work. Wouldn't recognise the required codec.
    >>Mark
    >>Aus
    >>

    > Its a pain when people choose to use obscure codecs, hey?

    If you count all the places H.264 is in use, you could hardly
    call it "obscure". And given that this is crossposted to "DVD"
    Newsgroups, the HD-DVD and BluRay DVD, can use it.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Mar 1, 2007
  8. Clubsprint

    SoCalCommie Guest

    YES! I've been looking for something... anything that would play dvr-ms
    files in Windows 2000. This does it!

    Thak you, thank you, thank you!!!

    TTUL... John

    SoCalCommie, Mar 1, 2007
  9. Clubsprint

    Clubsprint Guest

    "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message
    >> Its a pain when people choose to use obscure codecs, hey?
    >>

    > If you count all the places H.264 is in use, you could hardly
    > call it "obscure". And given that this is crossposted to "DVD"
    > Newsgroups, the HD-DVD and BluRay DVD, can use it.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    Don't know as I'd call it particularly common. I've had a pretty hard time
    trying to find a codec or player to view the files. Better part of a day
    searching and testing various stuff. Still haven't been able to find a
    downloadable codec so I can play the files in Mediaplayer etc.
    Mark
    Aus

    Clubsprint, Mar 1, 2007
  10. Clubsprint

    Calvin Guest

    Clubsprint wrote:
    > "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>Its a pain when people choose to use obscure codecs, hey?

    >> If you count all the places H.264 is in use, you could hardly
    >>call it "obscure". And given that this is crossposted to "DVD"
    >>Newsgroups, the HD-DVD and BluRay DVD, can use it.

    What everyone has to realise is that 'MP4' as such is NOT a codec, it is
    a media wrapper - much in the same way that 'AVI' was. The contained
    media can use any of several codecs for video and audio.

    MP4 is a bit more tightly speced than earlier wrappers and makes
    specific mention of what codec may be used in the container.

    Commonly, the video is H.264 and the audio is AAC, but there are lots of
    other combinations possible.

    To find out what is inside a particular media file I recommend Steve's
    great software package 'GSpot' from here: http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    > Don't know as I'd call it particularly common. I've had a pretty hard time
    > trying to find a codec or player to view the files. Better part of a day
    > searching and testing various stuff. Still haven't been able to find a
    > downloadable codec so I can play the files in Mediaplayer etc.

    I always have a copy of VLC at the ready to play back stuff that Windows
    Media Player chokes on - quite common actually - Microsoft's coding
    effort is up to it's usual abysmal standard !

    You may want to check out the .3ivx codec (included in most 'codec
    packs' you download from the net. It appears to be able to handle h.264
    quite nicely. Occasionally it needs a little help to recognise the file
    as a playable type - try renaming the .mp4 file with a .3ivx extension
    and see if Media Player will look at it then.

    Calvin.

    Calvin, Mar 2, 2007
  11. Clubsprint

    Stuart Guest

    > "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message
    >>> Its a pain when people choose to use obscure codecs, hey?
    >>>

    >> If you count all the places H.264 is in use, you could hardly
    >> call it "obscure". And given that this is crossposted to "DVD"
    >> Newsgroups, the HD-DVD and BluRay DVD, can use it.
    >>
    >> Luck;
    >> Ken
    >>

    > Don't know as I'd call it particularly common. I've had a pretty hard time
    > trying to find a codec or player to view the files. Better part of a day
    > searching and testing various stuff. Still haven't been able to find a
    > downloadable codec so I can play the files in Mediaplayer etc.
    > Mark
    > Aus

    Go to this site and you will find many H264 codecs and solutions
    http://www.free-codecs.com/search.php

    Stuart, Mar 2, 2007
  12. Clubsprint

    Shoo Guest

    > "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message
    >>> Its a pain when people choose to use obscure codecs, hey?
    >>>

    >> If you count all the places H.264 is in use, you could hardly
    >> call it "obscure". And given that this is crossposted to "DVD"
    >> Newsgroups, the HD-DVD and BluRay DVD, can use it.
    >>
    >> Luck;
    >> Ken
    >>

    > Don't know as I'd call it particularly common. I've had a pretty hard time
    > trying to find a codec or player to view the files. Better part of a day
    > searching and testing various stuff. Still haven't been able to find a
    > downloadable codec so I can play the files in Mediaplayer etc.
    > Mark

    Look the person that originally capped the program is probably a Mac user.
    Apple has built H.264 into the QuickTime media architecture for a couple of
    years now.
    I personally find it easier to use VLC to play them on a pc as I don't like
    to install QuickTime and they don't always play in WMP.

    Shoo, Mar 2, 2007
  13. Clubsprint

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Shoo" <> wrote in message

    > "Clubsprint" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> If you count all the places H.264 is in use, you could hardly
    >>> call it "obscure". And given that this is crossposted to "DVD"
    >>> Newsgroups, the HD-DVD and BluRay DVD, can use it.
    >>>
    >>> Luck;
    >>> Ken
    >>>

    >> Don't know as I'd call it particularly common. I've had a pretty hard
    >> time
    >> trying to find a codec or player to view the files. Better part of a day
    >> searching and testing various stuff. Still haven't been able to find a
    >> downloadable codec so I can play the files in Mediaplayer etc.
    >> Mark

    > Look the person that originally capped the program is probably a Mac user.
    > Apple has built H.264 into the QuickTime media architecture for a couple
    > of years now.
    > I personally find it easier to use VLC to play them on a pc as I don't
    > like to install QuickTime and they don't always play in WMP.

    The free ffdshow will provide most of the common formats
    including H.264 in most of its flavors. Perhaps the best
    decoding codec is the CoreAVC codec. Elecard (MainConcept)
    has a good mp4 mux/demux filter, and the Haali renderer works
    well with many formats. There is plenty out there, you don't
    have to look very hard anymore.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Mar 2, 2007
  14. "DC" <dcherry@_esmservices.com> wrote in message
    > Get the VLC (video lan client (or something) ) player, just type it in
    > google, works with everything

    I have VLC & use it when I have to; it is also good for previewing Bit
    Torrent files not fully downloaded.
    Apart from that I prefer WMP - has more bells & whistles.
    --
    David Barnett

    David Barnett, Mar 2, 2007
  15. "Clubsprint" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks but this didn't work. Wouldn't recognise the required codec.

    I don't follow.
    In your previous post you say:
    "Thank you so much.
    Works a dream"

    --
    David Barnett

    David Barnett, Mar 3, 2007
  16. Clubsprint

    kaboom Guest

    On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 11:03:15 +1100, "David Barnett"
    <> wrote:

    >"Clubsprint" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks but this didn't work. Wouldn't recognise the required codec.

    >I don't follow.
    >In your previous post you say:
    >"Thank you so much.
    >Works a dream"

    **That's because he's talking about the AVIcodec website suggestion.
    When he says: 'Works a dream,' he's referencing the VLC player he
    downloaded.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Mar 3, 2007
  17. "kaboom" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 11:03:15 +1100, "David Barnett"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Clubsprint" <> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks but this didn't work. Wouldn't recognise the required codec.

    >>I don't follow.
    >>In your previous post you say:
    >>"Thank you so much.
    >>Works a dream"

    > **That's because he's talking about the AVIcodec website suggestion.
    > When he says: 'Works a dream,' he's referencing the VLC player he
    > downloaded.

    Which made me think it did "recognise the required codec".
    --
    David Barnett

    David Barnett, Mar 4, 2007
  18. Clubsprint

    Clubsprint Guest

    "David Barnett" <> wrote in message
    > "Clubsprint" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks but this didn't work. Wouldn't recognise the required codec.

    > I don't follow.
    > In your previous post you say:
    > "Thank you so much.
    > Works a dream"
    >
    > --
    > David Barnett

    That would be VLC that works, however still trying to get MEdia player to
    play the file. I'll have to try the miriad suggestions
    put forward since I posted the question.

    Clubsprint, Mar 11, 2007
  19. Clubsprint

    Clubsprint Guest

    Thanks all for your suggestions, although now I've watched the game using
    VLC the urgency
    has subsided until the next game I have to downbload because of the AFL's
    f$%#ed policy
    as to who get to show what.
    Mark
    Aus
    (Go Hawks)

    Clubsprint, Mar 11, 2007
  20. Clubsprint

    GDS Guest

    > That would be VLC that works, however still trying to get MEdia player to
    > play the file. I'll have to try the miriad suggestions
    > put forward since I posted the question.

    If VLC player works then you obviously have the HD codecs installed, the
    problem then lies with MS Media Player, are there updates for the MS
    product?
    I suggest associating x26x files with VLC player, then it's condition normal
    as far as you're concerned, only the x26x files will open VLC...

    Have you tied www.xpcodecpack.com ?

    G.

    GDS, Mar 11, 2007