MP3's - CONFUSED!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by What's In A Name?, Sep 30, 2004.

  1. I'm going to be ripping my entire CD collection onto my harddrive on my
    computer. The MP3's will be listened to via my computer which is hooked up
    to external speakers, also my computer from time to time will be connected
    to my home audio system and finally, MP3's will be imported into my MP3
    player (iPod).

    I'm confused as to what bit rate I should rip to? My harddrive on my pc is
    only a 40GB dirve, I have 31GB's free so disk space is essential to me, I
    probably have about 4 cases of 'case logic' CD cases that are filled with
    disks, if that helps any. My iPod will probably be the 20GB model, why get
    the iPod mini for 249.00 with only 4GB's of space when for 50 bucks more you
    can get a 20GB model? OK, so I'm confused.

    A lot of people say that if you rip music at anything higher then 128kbps
    you are just wasting disk space because 128kbps is CD quality so why rip any
    higher? Although I believe Apple recommends ripping at 160kbps if your
    using an iPod but that is just what they recommend.

    If anyone can offer some good info I would appreciate it. The last time I
    ripped my CD collection onto my computer I ripped everything at 320kbps and
    it took up about 18GB's I believe, I would like to try to avoid that in the
    future, plus if I get the 20GB iPod model, I want to still have room to add
    more stuff for the future.

    Thanks for any advice in advance.

    What's In A Name?, Sep 30, 2004

  2. What's In A Name?

    °Mike° Guest

    Personally, I think mp3s at 128 sound terrible compared with,
    say 256/320, but you have to weigh that up against your
    requirement for space. Rip one album at different settings,
    listen to them on both media, and make your mind up whether
    they are acceptable at the lower rate. Remember, everybody
    hears things differently, and not all playback systems are
    equal -- make your own mind up.

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:38:18 -0400, in
    <>
    What's In A Name? scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 30, 2004

  3. What's In A Name?

    Max Guest

    In article <>, What's In A Name?
    <What'> wrote:

    > I'm confused as to what bit rate I should rip to?

    The minimum that is acceptably good-sounding to you.
    Try a metal track at 128 and then at 256 and listen to it.
    Try a soft-pop track at 128 and then compare to 256.
    You will probably find you are happiest between 160 and 224, unless you
    have very good ears.
    Remember that high-quality sound won't matter so much in a noisy
    environment.

    > A lot of people say that if you rip music at anything higher then 128kbps
    > you are just wasting disk space because 128kbps is CD quality so why rip any
    > higher?

    I don't know where this idea came from, but it's obviously wrong.

    I have seen claims that MP3 is CD-quality sound, but that's just silly
    until you talk about the amount of compression.

    Max, Sep 30, 2004
  4. According to:
    http://www.digitalprosound.com/Htm/WebAudio/2000/Oct/MP3bitrates2.htm

    160kbps for MP3's is "superior" sound quality:)

    What's In A Name?, Sep 30, 2004
  5. "What's In A Name?" <What'> wrote in message
    > I'm going to be ripping my entire CD collection onto my harddrive on my
    > computer. The MP3's will be listened to via my computer which is hooked
    > up to external speakers, also my computer from time to time will be
    > connected to my home audio system and finally, MP3's will be imported into
    > my MP3 player (iPod).
    >
    > I'm confused as to what bit rate I should rip to? My harddrive on my pc
    > is only a 40GB dirve, I have 31GB's free so disk space is essential to me,
    > I probably have about 4 cases of 'case logic' CD cases that are filled
    > with disks, if that helps any. My iPod will probably be the 20GB model,
    > why get the iPod mini for 249.00 with only 4GB's of space when for 50
    > bucks more you can get a 20GB model? OK, so I'm confused.
    >
    > A lot of people say that if you rip music at anything higher then 128kbps
    > you are just wasting disk space because 128kbps is CD quality so why rip
    > any higher? Although I believe Apple recommends ripping at 160kbps if
    > your using an iPod but that is just what they recommend.
    >
    > If anyone can offer some good info I would appreciate it. The last time I
    > ripped my CD collection onto my computer I ripped everything at 320kbps
    > and it took up about 18GB's I believe, I would like to try to avoid that
    > in the future, plus if I get the 20GB iPod model, I want to still have
    > room to add more stuff for the future.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice in advance.

    I've done all my 300 CDs plus I have about 5000 other mp3s and they are all
    at 128, believe me you wont tell the difference, theyll sound fine. Ive done
    my own listening tests at different specs and its all baloney. If you sit
    down in front of your speakers and try to tell apart the different bit rates
    you'll be wasting your time. Try it and see, me and most of my friends have
    all been musicians for a long time so we are pretty critical of what we
    listen to, we found the differenceces in listening quality were academic.

    Dr Hackenbush, Sep 30, 2004
  6. What's In A Name?

    ImhoTech Guest

    > I'm going to be ripping my entire CD collection onto my harddrive on my
    > computer. The MP3's will be listened to via my computer which is hooked

    up
    > to external speakers, also my computer from time to time will be connected
    > to my home audio system and finally, MP3's will be imported into my MP3
    > player (iPod).
    >
    > I'm confused as to what bit rate I should rip to? My harddrive on my pc

    is
    > only a 40GB dirve, I have 31GB's free so disk space is essential to me, I
    > probably have about 4 cases of 'case logic' CD cases that are filled with
    > disks, if that helps any. My iPod will probably be the 20GB model, why

    get
    > the iPod mini for 249.00 with only 4GB's of space when for 50 bucks more

    you
    > can get a 20GB model? OK, so I'm confused.
    >
    > A lot of people say that if you rip music at anything higher then 128kbps
    > you are just wasting disk space because 128kbps is CD quality so why rip

    any
    > higher? Although I believe Apple recommends ripping at 160kbps if your
    > using an iPod but that is just what they recommend.
    >
    > If anyone can offer some good info I would appreciate it. The last time I
    > ripped my CD collection onto my computer I ripped everything at 320kbps

    and
    > it took up about 18GB's I believe, I would like to try to avoid that in

    the
    > future, plus if I get the 20GB iPod model, I want to still have room to

    add
    > more stuff for the future.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice in advance.

    Chances are you'll all sorts of blah blah blah over this, 90% opinion and
    10% fact. Rip them at 192 and be done with it.
    Other than that, rip sample songs at different bit rates and see if you can
    tell a significant difference (most people can't). Some audio burning
    software requires 128 or higher to create .cda tracks.

    ImhoTech, Sep 30, 2004
  7. What's In A Name?

    Parko Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:38:18 -0400, What's In A Name? wrote:

    > I'm going to be ripping my entire CD collection onto my harddrive

    Try ripping your audio files at 192Kbs in *.ogg vorbis file format. Better
    sound quality for a smaller file size compared to the equivalent in *.MP3
    or *.WMA

    http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp
    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Sep 30, 2004
  8. What's In A Name?

    Gee Guest

    "Dr Hackenbush" <_INVALID> wrote in
    message news:pER6d.108

    > > A lot of people say that if you rip music at anything higher then

    128kbps
    > > you are just wasting disk space because 128kbps is CD quality so why rip
    > > any higher?

    Actually 128kbps is "NEAR CD quality". 256 is CD quality.

    http://www.teamcombooks.com/mp3handbook/16.htm

    > believe me you wont tell the difference, theyll sound fine. Ive done
    > my own listening tests at different specs and its all baloney.

    Not to my ear. Depends on what kind of system+speakers you have, and what
    you will be using the MP3s for. If you play them on your tiny computer
    speakers, you wont notice the difference. If you play them through quality
    headphones/in a club on proper speakers, or in a car with good system, you
    WILL notice. I never ripp less then 192 (but standardly at 224Kbps) and
    download anything less then 160(if I can;t find 192). The old rule apply:
    the higher bitrate, the better quality.

    Ripping = "Compression - The process of reducing the range of audio signals
    in a recording, thus decreasing the size of the file. MP3 compression
    eliminates frequencies inaudible to the human ear, though a bit rate below
    128kbps produces a discernible loss in sound quality."

    http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/281-0-0-39-121.aspx

    So 128 is really at the bare minimum, if you insist on saving the space, but
    I wouldnt sattle for less then 160, 192 being pretty much a standard for
    most MP3 users.

    http://www.teamcombooks.com/mp3handbook/15.htm - Detialed advice on ripping
    CD's.

    Gee

    Gee, Oct 1, 2004
  9. What's In A Name?

    Stevo Guest

    What's In A Name? wrote:
    > I'm going to be ripping my entire CD collection onto my harddrive on
    > my computer. The MP3's will be listened to via my computer which is
    > hooked up to external speakers, also my computer from time to time
    > will be connected to my home audio system and finally, MP3's will be
    > imported into my MP3 player (iPod).
    >
    > I'm confused as to what bit rate I should rip to? My harddrive on my
    > pc is only a 40GB dirve, I have 31GB's free so disk space is
    > essential to me, I probably have about 4 cases of 'case logic' CD
    > cases that are filled with disks, if that helps any. My iPod will
    > probably be the 20GB model, why get the iPod mini for 249.00 with
    > only 4GB's of space when for 50 bucks more you can get a 20GB model?
    > OK, so I'm confused.
    >
    > A lot of people say that if you rip music at anything higher then
    > 128kbps you are just wasting disk space because 128kbps is CD quality
    > so why rip any higher? Although I believe Apple recommends ripping
    > at 160kbps if your using an iPod but that is just what they recommend.
    >
    > If anyone can offer some good info I would appreciate it. The last
    > time I ripped my CD collection onto my computer I ripped everything
    > at 320kbps and it took up about 18GB's I believe, I would like to try
    > to avoid that in the future, plus if I get the 20GB iPod model, I
    > want to still have room to add more stuff for the future.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice in advance.

    Sound quality is very much a 'personal' thing.. you have to try the various
    options and see what you are happy with because after going to all the
    trouble to do the ripping, the last thing you want is to have to do it all
    again because you are not happy with the quality of the final product. An
    important consideration is the type/s of music you listen to, louder
    rock/pop music etc can be quite acceptable at say 128 k but classical music
    might suffer a little bit, so you need to do some trial and error stuff..

    Something you might want to consider is the use of a programme like
    Musicmatch Pro, which has the facility to rip into MP3 Pro format - high
    quality but small file size. For instance a track ripped to MP3 at 320 kb/s
    might be 12 Mb, the same file at MP3Pro's 96 Kb/s (CD Transparency) is 2.2
    Mb.. quite a space saving..

    Another option would be to rip at high rates but store the files to DVD for
    later use as required..

    There are a few app's around that will do high quality and small size but
    you need to be sure that those files (ogg files etc) can be played on the
    output devices you expect to use.. not a lot of ogg compatible car audio
    systems out there for instance..

    It all comes down to what you want/expect/are happy with..

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    Stevo, Oct 1, 2004
  10. What's In A Name?

    Ben Guest

    What's In A Name? wrote:
    > I'm going to be ripping my entire CD collection onto my harddrive on my
    > computer. The MP3's will be listened to via my computer which is hooked up
    > to external speakers, also my computer from time to time will be connected
    > to my home audio system and finally, MP3's will be imported into my MP3
    > player (iPod).
    >
    > I'm confused as to what bit rate I should rip to? My harddrive on my pc is
    > only a 40GB dirve, I have 31GB's free so disk space is essential to me, I
    > probably have about 4 cases of 'case logic' CD cases that are filled with
    > disks, if that helps any. My iPod will probably be the 20GB model, why get
    > the iPod mini for 249.00 with only 4GB's of space when for 50 bucks more you
    > can get a 20GB model? OK, so I'm confused.
    >
    > A lot of people say that if you rip music at anything higher then 128kbps
    > you are just wasting disk space because 128kbps is CD quality so why rip any
    > higher? Although I believe Apple recommends ripping at 160kbps if your
    > using an iPod but that is just what they recommend.
    >
    > If anyone can offer some good info I would appreciate it. The last time I
    > ripped my CD collection onto my computer I ripped everything at 320kbps and
    > it took up about 18GB's I believe, I would like to try to avoid that in the
    > future, plus if I get the 20GB iPod model, I want to still have room to add
    > more stuff for the future.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice in advance.

    I read somewhere -- I wish I had the source -- that there is no humanly
    distinguishable difference between 192 kbps and 320 kbps. I'm sure some
    people would be able to tell a slight difference if the song were being
    blasted at 160 decibels, but in all practical scenarios, this would not
    be the case. If you're going for both quality and relatively small
    size, I'd definitely go with 192 kbps.

    160 kbps if you must, but I would not recommend 128 kbps at all -- the
    difference between 128 kbps and complete purity becomes evident when you
    play a song at somewhat loud (albeit not deafening) volumes. 192 kbps,
    on the other hand, will not sound crappy in any reasonable situation.

    -Ben

    Ben, Oct 2, 2004