    Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

    "It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
    It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"

    Alasdair Baxter, Nov 15, 2004

  2. Alasdair Baxter

    gangle Guest

    "Alasdair Baxter" wrote
    > The BBC are offering the facility to download an MP3 version of the
    > Radio 4 programme "In Our Time" by Melvin Bragg at
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/inourtime/mp3.shtml.
    >
    > The downloaded mp3 version is about 12Mb. If I play the episode using
    > the "listen again" facility on
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/inourtime/inourtime.shtml and
    > record it and then convert the recording to mp3 using A4 Audio CD
    > Studio, I find that the mp3 file is 38Mb. Why the massive discrepancy
    > in size of file please?

    The larger the sample rate OR bitrate, the larger the file
    size -- and stereo files will be larger than mono files.
    For instance, the 12 MB file might have been mono, sampled
    at 22,050 Hz, with a bitrate of 64 Kbps, while your conversion
    software might have turned it out stereo, sampled at 44,100 Hz
    with a bitrate of 196 Kbps. Check the A4 Audio CD Studio for
    Options or Settings type tabs or buttons to change these
    values.

    gangle, Nov 15, 2004