MP3 players

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Filthy McNasty, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. I have this machine in my living room....its 18" square,5" deep with the
    lid on.
    You switch it on(it requires plugging into it's own electrical supply)
    and a platter rotates,there's a pin in the middle and onto this pin you
    place a 12" circular vinyl record ,they're basically a plastic disc with
    grooves cut into them in an inward spiralling direction.
    A 7" version of this 12" disc used to exist in the late 20th century but
    by the time the Millenium had been reached they were largely
    unavailable,hitherto being part of mass appeal sales,selling by the
    million in some cases......."singles",as they were called.
    (if you wish to play the 7" version of the vinyl record you must turn
    off the power supply,wait for the platter to stop,remove the platter
    carefully and change the "drive belt" onto it's other pulley-otherwise
    the 7" single will play back at the wrong speed-which may amuse you and
    your friends,should you mistakenly not carry out this
    procedure.....equally when you wish to play the 12" vinyl record you
    must remember to change the pulley back again).
    NB**-some "turntables" were manufactured with a simple switch from which
    to change the "rotation speed"-typically 33 RPM for the 12" L.P.(long
    playing) or 45RPM for the 7" record.
    I digress............
    Into the groove...... you must(delicately)place the "turntable" arm on
    the record,upon which is fixed a stylus or "needle",this stylus "rides"
    in the grooves and traces the musical signal inscribed in the record
    groove,conversion of the "sound" contained in the record
    grooves,amplification and so on is is carried out by the stylus,it's
    cartridge,your amplifier and speakers.
    Place the stylus where you think the beginning of the record is,with
    practice you will be able to gauge this accurately,take care when
    placing the stylus.
    Wait a few moments once the stylus is on the rotating record-you hear
    that noise??...... that's just static and dust in the grooves being
    amplified by the stylus......
    wait........wait.............wait............!!!!
    PRESTO.......the music begins.

    further technical explanation of the stylus can be found here...
    http://www.shure.com/phono/phono_howitworks.html
    http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/webprojects2001/cressey/how.htm
    Turntables-
    http://www.rega.co.uk/html/p2.htm
    http://www.rega.co.uk/html/p9.htm

    One day kids will gaze in awe at such "appliances" and wonder what they
    were used for.

    Filthy McNasty, Oct 10, 2004

  2. Filthy McNasty

    Ionizer Guest

    "Filthy McNasty" <> wrote in message
    > I have this machine in my living room....its 18" square,5" deep with the
    > lid on.
    > You switch it on(it requires plugging into it's own electrical supply)
    > and a platter rotates,there's a pin in the middle and onto this pin you
    > place a 12" circular vinyl record ,they're basically a plastic disc with
    > grooves cut into them in an inward spiralling direction.

    You tell the young people of today that, and they won't believe you.

    This guy figured out a way to use a scanner, of all things, to extract the
    music from an LP: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~springer/

    --
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Oct 10, 2004

  3. Ionizer wrote:

    > "Filthy McNasty" <> wrote in message

    >>I have this machine in my living room....its 18" square,5" deep with the
    >>lid on.
    >>You switch it on(it requires plugging into it's own electrical supply)
    >>and a platter rotates,there's a pin in the middle and onto this pin you
    >>place a 12" circular vinyl record ,they're basically a plastic disc with
    >>grooves cut into them in an inward spiralling direction.

    > You tell the young people of today that, and they won't believe you.

    > This guy figured out a way to use a scanner, of all things, to extract the
    > music from an LP: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~springer/

    frankly,that is UNBELIEVABLE.
    LOL!!!
    UNBELIEVABLE.
    (and I do a lot of digital audio editing-wav etc)

    Filthy McNasty, Oct 10, 2004
  4. Filthy McNasty

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Ionizer mused:

    | This guy figured out a way to use a scanner, of all things, to extract the
    | music from an LP: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~springer/

    Now, that's trick! ;-)

    mhicaoidh, Oct 10, 2004
  5. Ionizer wrote:

    > This guy figured out a way to use a scanner, of all things, to extract the
    > music from an LP: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~springer/

    The idjit wasted all that time trying to figure out how the grooves are
    modulated when a simple google search would have turned up the basics of
    the 45-45 degree modulation in seconds? Shee.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    www.howtofixcomputers.com.is.bogus.horseshit

    Gary G. Taylor, Oct 11, 2004