    Eat's
    Root's
    and Leaves
    Robin Halligan, Apr 30, 2006

  2. Robin Halligan

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Robin Halligan" <> wrote in message
    news:sqineyd63uq3.vfzb894n8ooq$...
    > What is a good mp3 player
    > I am looking for something that will work under XP and is small, i don't
    > need lots of swirly lights or other stuff wavering all over the screen all
    > i need is something that will play a list or just randomly pick from what
    > is in my mp3 dir.
    >
    > Thanks for any recommendations :)
    >

    > --
    > I'm
    > Typical
    > KIWI
    > Eat's
    > Root's
    > and Leaves

    WMP9 or greater.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Apr 30, 2006

  3. On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:53:57 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:

    > "Robin Halligan" <> wrote in message
    >> What is a good mp3 player
    >> I am looking for something that will work under XP and is small, i don't
    >> need lots of swirly lights or other stuff wavering all over the screen all
    >> i need is something that will play a list or just randomly pick from what
    >> is in my mp3 dir.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any recommendations :)

    > WMP9 or greater.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Im using wmp 10 atm but was looking for something smaller and less of a cpu
    hog.
    --
    First aid! First aid! What's the procedure for someone who's just cut
    their finger off?" (Richie)
    Robin Halligan, Apr 30, 2006
  4. Robin Halligan

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Robin Halligan wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:53:57 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:
    >
    >> "Robin Halligan" <> wrote in message
    >>> What is a good mp3 player
    >>> I am looking for something that will work under XP and is small, i don't
    >>> need lots of swirly lights or other stuff wavering all over the screen all
    >>> i need is something that will play a list or just randomly pick from what
    >>> is in my mp3 dir.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any recommendations :)

    >> WMP9 or greater.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > Im using wmp 10 atm but was looking for something smaller and less of a cpu
    > hog.

    I like JetAudio and use it mostly, but for small you might try
    CoolPlayer http://coolplayer.sourceforge.net/
    -=rjh=-, Apr 30, 2006
  5. Robin Halligan

    Richard Guest

    www.foobar2000.org
    Richard, Apr 30, 2006
  6. Robin Halligan

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:42:57 +1200, Robin Halligan
    <> wrote:

    >What is a good mp3 player
    > I am looking for something that will work under XP and is small, i don't
    >need lots of swirly lights or other stuff wavering all over the screen all
    >i need is something that will play a list or just randomly pick from what
    >is in my mp3 dir.
    >
    >Thanks for any recommendations :)

    Have you thought of WinAmp? That can sit in your system tray, out of
    the way. With a plugin you can have the contolls there too. I use
    WinAmp 5 Lite with the system tray controls plugin.
    GraB, Apr 30, 2006
  7. Robin Halligan

    XPD Guest

    "Robin Halligan" <> wrote in message
    > What is a good mp3 player
    > I am looking for something that will work under XP and is small, i don't
    > need lots of swirly lights or other stuff wavering all over the screen all
    > i need is something that will play a list or just randomly pick from what
    > is in my mp3 dir.

    Try Zinf
    XPD, Apr 30, 2006
  8. Robin Halligan

    -=rjh=- Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:42:57 +1200, Robin Halligan
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> What is a good mp3 player
    >> I am looking for something that will work under XP and is small, i don't
    >> need lots of swirly lights or other stuff wavering all over the screen all
    >> i need is something that will play a list or just randomly pick from what
    >> is in my mp3 dir.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any recommendations :)

    > Have you thought of WinAmp? That can sit in your system tray, out of
    > the way. With a plugin you can have the contolls there too. I use
    > WinAmp 5 Lite with the system tray controls plugin.

    And just for fun, try it with AJAXAmp; it is so responsive, it is hard
    to believe the interface is running in a web browser. Not stable on my
    system, though, misbehaves after running for a day or so.
    -=rjh=-, Apr 30, 2006
  9. On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:55:06 +1200, GraB wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:42:57 +1200, Robin Halligan
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>What is a good mp3 player
    >> I am looking for something that will work under XP and is small, i don't
    >>need lots of swirly lights or other stuff wavering all over the screen all
    >>i need is something that will play a list or just randomly pick from what
    >>is in my mp3 dir.
    >>
    >>Thanks for any recommendations :)

    > Have you thought of WinAmp? That can sit in your system tray, out of
    > the way. With a plugin you can have the contolls there too. I use
    > WinAmp 5 Lite with the system tray controls plugin.

    thanks for that

    I used to use winamp but then is suddenly got bigger and was a cpu hog so i
    stopped, i might have to look into it again, it just seems that everyone
    making a mp3 player had to have lots of bells, whistles and chrome, All i
    want from an mp3 player is something that will sit in the background and
    play from a list or just randomly from a dir.
    --
    Red Dwarf Waiting For God
    The most interesting event that happened recently was that Lister pretended
    Robin Halligan, Apr 30, 2006
  10. Robin Halligan

    bambam Guest

    Robin Halligan <> wrote in

    >> Have you thought of WinAmp? That can sit in your system tray, out of
    >> the way. With a plugin you can have the contolls there too. I use
    >> WinAmp 5 Lite with the system tray controls plugin.

    > I used to use winamp but then is suddenly got bigger and was a cpu hog
    > so i stopped, i might have to look into it again, it just seems that
    > everyone making a mp3 player had to have lots of bells, whistles and
    > chrome, All i want from an mp3 player is something that will sit in
    > the background and play from a list or just randomly from a dir.

    So use an old version of winamp. I still use ver 2.91

    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winamp
    bambam, Apr 30, 2006
  11. Robin Halligan

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:55:25 GMT, bambam <>
    wrote:

    >Robin Halligan <> wrote in
    >
    >>> Have you thought of WinAmp? That can sit in your system tray, out of
    >>> the way. With a plugin you can have the contolls there too. I use
    >>> WinAmp 5 Lite with the system tray controls plugin.

    >> I used to use winamp but then is suddenly got bigger and was a cpu hog
    >> so i stopped, i might have to look into it again, it just seems that
    >> everyone making a mp3 player had to have lots of bells, whistles and
    >> chrome, All i want from an mp3 player is something that will sit in
    >> the background and play from a list or just randomly from a dir.

    >So use an old version of winamp. I still use ver 2.91
    >
    >http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winamp

    If it is still available the Lite versoin of WinAmp 5 installs just
    like 2.9*.
    GraB, Apr 30, 2006
  12. Robin Halligan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Robin Halligan wrote:
    > What is a good mp3 player
    > I am looking for something that will work under XP and is small, i
    > don't need lots of swirly lights or other stuff wavering all over the
    > screen all i need is something that will play a list or just randomly
    > pick from what is in my mp3 dir.
    >
    > Thanks for any recommendations :)

    Foobar2000 hands down.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 1, 2006
  13. Robin Halligan

    Petrushka Guest

    On 01/05/06 15:56, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Robin Halligan wrote:
    >> What is a good mp3 player
    >> I am looking for something that will work under XP and is small, i
    >> don't need lots of swirly lights or other stuff wavering all over the
    >> screen all i need is something that will play a list or just randomly
    >> pick from what is in my mp3 dir.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any recommendations :)

    > Foobar2000 hands down.

    Agree, though I usually use WinAmp for its better range of plugins (like
    others in this thread I also use 2.91, though maybe it's time to switch
    to 5), and Media Player Classic for video.

    Incidentally, try doing this, just for fun:

    run MPLAYER2.EXE

    he he he. Betcha didn't know that was still there.
    Petrushka, May 2, 2006
  14. Robin Halligan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Petrushka wrote:
    > On 01/05/06 15:56, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Robin Halligan wrote:
    >>> What is a good mp3 player
    >>> I am looking for something that will work under XP and is small, i
    >>> don't need lots of swirly lights or other stuff wavering all over
    >>> the screen all i need is something that will play a list or just
    >>> randomly pick from what is in my mp3 dir.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any recommendations :)

    >> Foobar2000 hands down.

    > Agree, though I usually use WinAmp for its better range of plugins

    Yeah. However, I had a friend who was here a while back and was using
    Foobar2000. He liked it so much asked me if I could burn it onto CD so he
    could install it on his machine when he got home. (he normally uses Winamp)
    I told him I didn't need to burn a CD and tossed him a floppy with it on.

    The OP did say small.

    > (like others in this thread I also use 2.91, though maybe it's time
    > to switch to 5), and Media Player Classic for video.
    >
    > Incidentally, try doing this, just for fun:
    >
    > run MPLAYER2.EXE
    >
    > he he he. Betcha didn't know that was still there.

    I couldn't get it to do anything. :(
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 2, 2006
  15. On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:53:22 +1200, XPD wrote:

    Ok thanks for the replies and i am trying out the things
    Foobar looks good and i am giving that a test atm but thanks for everyones
    opinions.

    --
    Is that the legendary Sceptre of Magma who was king of the Mountain, Smiter
    of Thousands, Yea, even tens of Thousands, Ruler of the Golden River,
    Robin Halligan, May 4, 2006
  16. Robin Halligan

    Riff Guest

    Robin Halligan wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:53:57 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:
    >

    >>"Robin Halligan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>What is a good mp3 player
    >>>I am looking for something that will work under XP and is small, i don't
    >>>need lots of swirly lights or other stuff wavering all over the screen all
    >>>i need is something that will play a list or just randomly pick from what
    >>>is in my mp3 dir.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for any recommendations :)

    >>WMP9 or greater.
    >>
    >>E. Scrooge

    > Im using wmp 10 atm but was looking for something smaller and less of a cpu
    > hog.

    Trayplay is pretty good, doesnt do ogg or other weird codecs, just mp3 -
    cheers, riff
    Riff, May 4, 2006
  17. Robin Halligan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Robin Halligan wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:53:22 +1200, XPD wrote:
    >
    > Ok thanks for the replies and i am trying out the things
    > Foobar looks good and i am giving that a test atm but thanks for
    > everyones opinions.

    One thing I really like about Foobar is ReplayGain. It writes a wee tag (if
    enabled, I think it's enabled by default) in the <blah blah> data (tag) of
    the mp3 file to let it know what volume to play it at. That way it plays any
    quieter rips you may have louder etc. without actually messing with the file
    itself.

    Great idea, I like nothing worse than hearing a nice cruisy song, then
    getting blasted by a rocker. (I play al my rips in random mode all day, was
    told not to "normalise" them during encoding as it ruins dynamic range.
    Replaygain is a way past this discrepancy between differing relative
    loudness of different songs if you, like me, play on random.

    Or something. :)
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 7, 2006
  18. Robin Halligan

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 8 May 2006 00:44:46 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Robin Halligan wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:53:22 +1200, XPD wrote:
    >>
    >> Ok thanks for the replies and i am trying out the things
    >> Foobar looks good and i am giving that a test atm but thanks for
    >> everyones opinions.

    >One thing I really like about Foobar is ReplayGain. It writes a wee tag (if
    >enabled, I think it's enabled by default) in the <blah blah> data (tag) of
    >the mp3 file to let it know what volume to play it at. That way it plays any
    >quieter rips you may have louder etc. without actually messing with the file
    >itself.
    >
    >Great idea, I like nothing worse than hearing a nice cruisy song, then
    >getting blasted by a rocker. (I play al my rips in random mode all day, was
    >told not to "normalise" them during encoding as it ruins dynamic range.
    >Replaygain is a way past this discrepancy between differing relative
    >loudness of different songs if you, like me, play on random.
    >
    >Or something. :)

    I use MP3Gain now to set an even volume across my MP3s. Before that,
    in WinAmp, in the equalizer, I made presets for individual tracks and
    enabled the 'auto' button so those presets load automatically when
    that song plays.
    GraB, May 8, 2006