    read it as an audio cd. I could fit more files on the cd if I burned it
    as a data cd, but then I could only use it on my pc, whereas I want to
    take the cds on holiday. Many thanks.
    Chocolate Sauce, Jul 3, 2003

  2. Chocolate Sauce

    BIG NIGE Guest

    I DONT KNOW THE MODEL BUT A FRIEND OF MINE HAS A PERSONAL CD PLAYER THAT
    READS MP3 FILES AND SO DO MANY DVD PLAYERS, HAVE A LOOK AROUND, THOSE THAT
    DO PLAY MP3 FILES ARE NORMALLY CLEARLY MARKED AS DOING SO.
    BIG NIGE, Jul 3, 2003

  3. Chocolate Sauce

    Joe Nobody Guest

    I've had a RioVolt for over two years now and it's worked like a charm
    the entire time. It has resume and an easy navigation menu. I'd also
    recommend you pick up a 4 pack of the RayoVac AA NiMH rechargable
    batteries. They last a lot longer in the player and the charger for
    the batteries has a modular plug so you can either plug it into your
    wall outlet or your cigarette lighter in your car. Another great
    thing about the charger is that it charges the batteries in less than
    an hour, most of the time around 30-40 minutes.

    In case you're wondering, no I don't get any kickbacks or anything
    like that. I just got tired of wating normal batteries so fast in the
    player and wanted a better alternative. I actually had started out
    with the Monster batteries NiMH, but when I saw the quick recharge
    time on the RayoVac's I was sold. Great for long road trips!

    Hope that helps, and good luck!
    Joe
    BTW Of course you could always drop $300 on an iPod for 10GB of
    storage.

    Joe Nobody, Jul 4, 2003
  4. Chocolate Sauce

    Zonker Guest

    i've had my 5gb ipod since they came out and it has been great. once
    you have gigs of your music or books in your pocket all the time it is
    impossible to go back to a player than only holds a couple of hundred
    megs. of course the ipod is more than just the best mp3 player
    available... any space not taken up by mp3s is available to be used as
    a hard drive. it has a calendar and stores contact information.
    battery life is about 8 hours on the new models and recharges from the
    firewire cable that connects it to the computer. also connects via
    usb2.

    i just looked at the players on best buy and unless you want a 64mb
    player or a bulky cd player the price difference isn't that much...

    http://www.apple.com/ipod/

    Zonker, Jul 4, 2003
  5. Chocolate Sauce

    DogHouseRye Guest

    Well Zonker,

    I admire the iPod both for its design and its ease of use.

    But unfortunately Apple Europe told me that a replacement of the internal
    battery is charged at 250 EURs, excl. p&p and vat.

    Are they nuts? After 2 years intensive use another 250 EURs?

    No thank you very much.
    DogHouseRye, Jul 4, 2003
  6. Whoa Nelly, by it from the states and mail it home. It's got to be
    cheaper. <http://www.mkgsoft.com/batteries/ipodbattery.htm>

    Philippe L. Balmanno, Jul 4, 2003
  7. Chocolate Sauce

    DogHouseRye Guest

    "Philippe L. Balmanno" <> wrote in

    > http://www.mkgsoft.com/batteries/ipodbattery.htm

    Thanks for advice and the link.

    I'm not willing to buy an iPod for that price, and then go through the
    hazzle of an US order. That means 2 weeks in customs (I'm waiting still for
    a shipment, audiobooks what else?), and adding local vat to the order.

    No sirs, that's not what I expect from an Apple, taking a screwdriver just
    to replace the most likely part of any mobile gadget. The iPod may be glib
    an all that rot, but even with the cheapest mobiles I can change the
    batteries in an instant.

    That's a flaw in the design.

    *sing* So we wait and we wonder *sing*

    DHR
    DogHouseRye, Jul 4, 2003
  8. Chocolate Sauce

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Xns93ADC1EAACF3Bwhoknowswhatwhere@195.8.68.209>, Chocolate
    Sauce <> wrote:

    > I wondered if anyone could recommend an MP3 player, as when I tried to
    > burn an audiobook I couldn't fit many files the cd and my cd player
    > read it as an audio cd. I could fit more files on the cd if I burned it
    > as a data cd, but then I could only use it on my pc, whereas I want to
    > take the cds on holiday. Many thanks.

    You need to decide what factors matter to you first.

    Battery life?
    Battery type?
    Weight?
    Size?
    upgradable?
    extra storage slot?
    display size?
    minimum memory size (length of use, necessity of uploading)

    Please note: I am not saying I have any models or makes to mention --
    just that your question doesn't make any sense until you have
    considered these factors.
    I have seen models from a cheap little 64 MB US$40 to the ultimate
    Apple iPod at 20 GB(!) for around US$300

    Also, though -- remember that many portable CD players today can play
    data CDs with MP3 data on them. That would make it larger and more
    cumbersome, but it might be easier if you happen to burn most of the
    stuff to CD anyway.
    Mitch, Jul 5, 2003
  9. Chocolate Sauce

    Zonker Guest

    i understand your situation with apple outside the u.s. and agree with
    you that they need to fix it...

    on the battery repalcement issue, i've used my original 5gb ipod every
    day and am still getting close to to 9 hours of use on a charge. i
    know there have been cases of battery problems, but it hasn't been the
    case with anyone i know. for my the size of the unit is more important
    than being able to change out the batteries. swappable batteries would
    add considerably to the size and weight. the new ones are even samller
    and lighter, thought he battery life is down to about 6 hours.

    if anyone does have a bad battery, here is a a company selling a
    replacement for $50

    http://web1.applelaptopbattery.com/ccp5/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=50X812231
    6&rnd=5731733&rrc=N&cip=12.226.3.80&pg=prod&ref=UP325385A4H&cat=

    Zonker, Jul 5, 2003