mp3 File Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Phyllis Steen, Apr 10, 2008.

  1. Hello everyone,

    I posted several months ago about a "Weird Internet Problem" in which
    completely random links did not show up on my computer. Well, shortly
    thereafter I uninstalled Norton and the problem was solved. Now I have a
    new problem.

    About a month ago, my computer crashed for reasons I don't know. I put it
    in the shop and when I asked why it had crashed, I was told that they
    couldn't know and "these things just happen". Anyway, when I got it back,
    both of my hard drives (main and backup) had been completely wiped out. I
    took it to another shop that performed data recovery. I got some of my
    files back, including all of my mp3s.

    The problem now is that some of my mp3s seem to have been corrupted. When I
    try to play them in Winamp, the length shows up as 0:00 and I hear snips of
    the song or it sounds like it is playing in super fast forward. This takes
    5 seconds or less. When I try to play them in Windows Media Player, I get a
    message saying "The file you are attempting to play has an extension (.mp3)
    that does not match the file format. Playing the file may result in
    unexpected behavior."

    When I look at the file properties in Windows Explorer, everything looks
    normal. I don't understand why half of my mp3s work normally and the other
    half don't. Going by the WMP message, it seems like some of the files
    changed into some other kind of file while keeping the mp3 extension, but I
    can't figure out what kind of file it might be or how to fix it.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Let the dog out to e-mail me.

    Phyllis Steen, Apr 10, 2008

  2. Adding on:

    "Phyllis Steen" <> wrote in message

    > The problem now is that some of my mp3s seem to have been corrupted. When
    > I try to play them in Winamp, the length shows up as 0:00 and I hear snips
    > of the song or it sounds like it is playing in super fast forward. This
    > takes 5 seconds or less.

    "Scrambled" is a good word to describe how those files sound when I play
    them in Winamp.

    Phyllis Steen, Apr 10, 2008

  3. Phyllis Steen

    Hp Guest

    I would speculate that the data recovery process didnt get all the
    little pieces of your files put back in the proper order or even
    with the proper associations. DATA on the harddrive is placed
    on there like a jigsaw puzzle, a little bit here, a little bit there,
    little bits everywhere. The sector map is supposed to be able to
    reconstruct wheres part 1, part 2, part 3, etc, untill all the
    proper parts and bits make a usable file. IF the map gets hosed
    or parts of it were ignored by the recovery process, "OH FARTS"

    Hp, Apr 11, 2008
  4. Phyllis Steen

    Guest

    On 10 Apr, 01:32, "Phyllis Steen" <> wrote:
    > Adding on:
    >
    > "Phyllis Steen" <> wrote in message

    > > The problem now is that some of my mp3s seem to have been corrupted.  When
    > > I try to play them in Winamp, the length shows up as 0:00 and I hear snips
    > > of the song or it sounds like it is playing in super fast forward.  This
    > > takes 5 seconds or less.

    > "Scrambled" is a good word to describe how those files sound when I play
    > them in Winamp.

    put a file on 2shared.com , maybe somebody can put it through some
    software fix it and name the software that fixed it. or maybe they
    can see the difference between that mp3 file and a regular one.. and
    see how to fix it

    are these music? you know almost every song is available on p2p apps.
    You could try downloading emule, and searching and downloading music
    from there.

    .

    , Apr 28, 2008