    would prefer to not decode & re-encode, since I presume these steps
    cost quality?

    TIA ............L.

    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Aug 4, 2008

  2. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    Lodi Guest

    >On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:47:27 +1200, Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:

    > What do the gathered cognoscenti recommend as best choice for me to use
    > to trim some hours front and back off a five-hour-long mp3. I would
    > prefer to not decode & re-encode, since I presume these steps cost
    > quality?
    >
    > TIA ............L.

    Audacity is pretty easy to use. Win, Mac and Linux

    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

    Lodi

    Lodi, Aug 4, 2008

  3. On 4 Aug 2008 20:00:46 +1200, Freesias <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 19:48:21 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:
    >
    >> Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
    >>
    >>> What do the gathered cognoscenti recommend as best choice for me to use
    >>> to trim some hours front and back off a five-hour-long mp3. I would
    >>> prefer to not decode & re-encode, since I presume these steps cost
    >>> quality?
    >>>
    >>> TIA ............L.

    >> You're worried about losing quality after it's been coded into MP3?
    >> Audacity, while it decodes/re-encodes does decode to quite a high
    >> internal resolution (32-bit samples, as far as I can recall). You
    >> probably won't lose much more than has already gone west. However,
    >> someone will probably recommend a good MP3 file trimmer.

    >Wot Murray said.
    >
    >In order to edit an MP3 file you need to decode it, and then re-encode it
    >again afterwards.
    >
    >Why are you using MP3 and not OGG?

    Ooops - didn't mean to disturb an OggFan. I've recorded the 96 Kbps
    stream from LeithFM. It's what they broadcast.
    Trimming the mp3 I receive will become less of an issue if I can
    figure out how to use NetTransport's scheduling facilities correctly
    though.

    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Aug 4, 2008
  4. On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 21:06:26 +1200, oneofus <> wrote:

    >Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
    >> What do the gathered cognoscenti recommend as best choice for me to
    >> use to trim some hours front and back off a five-hour-long mp3. I
    >> would prefer to not decode & re-encode, since I presume these steps
    >> cost quality?
    >>
    >> TIA ............L.

    >http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/mp3splt_page/home.php

    Buggamee gabba - that did it & damned quick too. Must have taken all
    of 5 seconds to give me the 80megs I wanted from the middle of about
    216 megs. Spot on! Exactly what I was after. Many thanks.

    L.

    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Aug 4, 2008
  5. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "oneofus" typed:
    > Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
    >> What do the gathered cognoscenti recommend as best choice for me to
    >> use to trim some hours front and back off a five-hour-long mp3. I
    >> would prefer to not decode & re-encode, since I presume these steps
    >> cost quality?

    > http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/mp3splt_page/home.php

    Thanks, grabbed for possible future needs. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 5, 2008