    me the full path to the infected files which I easily manually deleted.

    I do not know if it is a Mozilla problem or a Vet problem but until I
    get some logical answers I will not be using Mozilla.
    graeme@invalid, Aug 31, 2004

  2. Moz Champion wrote:

    > graeme@invalid wrote:
    >
    >> I have been using Thunderbird for months and am very happy with it. I
    >> originally posted my real Email address in the newsgroup accounts and
    >> I now get at least five infected Emails everyday. This is not a
    >> problem as Vet anti virus cleans them and Thunderbird moves them
    >> automatically to the junk file.
    >>
    >> Last night I was using Mozilla and noticed two files in the junk file.
    >> I decided to run virus scan and it detected two infected files in the
    >> junk file but could not clean them. I deleted the files to trash and
    >> then cleaned out the trash file. I checked that trash was empty and
    >> did another scan. It found two infected files in the trash can even
    >> though it appeared empty. Vet was still uable to clean the fies, but
    >> did give me the full path to the infected files which I easily
    >> manually deleted.
    >>
    >> I do not know if it is a Mozilla problem or a Vet problem but until I
    >> get some logical answers I will not be using Mozilla.

    > First, having the infected files there is not a danger. They would only
    > be dangerous if you opened the attachments in the files.
    >
    > Second, you may have emptied the trash, but probably didnt compress the
    > folders. Compress the folders and the messages will be GONE
    >
    > Moving items to trash doesnt remove them, doesnt even move them. It
    > simple sets the pointers to the file to point to the trash. When you
    > empty the trash, it removes the pointers, but the file still remains
    > where it was before you moved it to trash. Compressing the folders tells
    > Mozilla to delete any files that were treshed and no longer have any
    > pointer to them.

    Thanks I have a much better idea on how it works
    graeme@invalid, Aug 31, 2004

  3. graeme@invalid

    Moz Champion Guest

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Sep 1, 2004
  4. graeme@invalid

    Brian Guest

    graeme@invalid wrote :
    > I have been using Thunderbird for months and am very happy with it. I
    > originally posted my real Email address in the newsgroup accounts and I
    > now get at least five infected Emails everyday. This is not a problem
    > as Vet anti virus cleans them and Thunderbird moves them automatically
    > to the junk file.
    >
    > Last night I was using Mozilla and noticed two files in the junk file. I
    > decided to run virus scan and it detected two infected files in the junk
    > file but could not clean them. I deleted the files to trash and then
    > cleaned out the trash file. I checked that trash was empty and did
    > another scan. It found two infected files in the trash can even though
    > it appeared empty. Vet was still uable to clean the fies, but did give
    > me the full path to the infected files which I easily manually deleted.
    >
    > I do not know if it is a Mozilla problem or a Vet problem but until I
    > get some logical answers I will not be using Mozilla.

    Compact Folders.

    --
    Brian

    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm
    Brian, Sep 1, 2004
  5. Hello,

    on 01/Sep/04 09:03 Moz Champion wrote:
    > Moving items to trash doesnt remove them, doesnt even move them. It
    > simple sets the pointers to the file to point to the trash. When you
    > empty the trash, it removes the pointers, but the file still remains
    > where it was before you moved it to trash. Compressing the folders tells
    > Mozilla to delete any files that were treshed and no longer have any
    > pointer to them.

    This is clear and works, but why is it so? What is the reason behind not
    directly removing the deleted emails and items? When one has a lot of
    folders, it means that one has to manually compact all of them pretty
    regularely.

    Nicolas
    --
    Ad Noiseam
    www.adnoiseam.net
    Nicolas Chevreux, Sep 1, 2004
  6. graeme@invalid

    Andreas Guest

    Nicolas Chevreux wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > on 01/Sep/04 09:03 Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Moving items to trash doesnt remove them, doesnt even move them. It
    >> simple sets the pointers to the file to point to the trash. When you
    >> empty the trash, it removes the pointers, but the file still remains
    >> where it was before you moved it to trash. Compressing the folders
    >> tells Mozilla to delete any files that were treshed and no longer have
    >> any pointer to them.

    > This is clear and works, but why is it so? What is the reason behind not
    > directly removing the deleted emails and items? When one has a lot of
    > folders, it means that one has to manually compact all of them pretty
    > regularely.
    >
    > Nicolas

    No, you don't compact all of them individually. When you use the
    compact folders option, it compacts everything within that email
    account. So, if you have 3 different email accounts, then you will only
    have to do it 3 times -- once for each account.

    Andreas

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM
    Andreas, Sep 1, 2004
  7. Hello,

    on 01/Sep/04 16:21 Andreas wrote:
    > No, you don't compact all of them individually. When you use the
    > compact folders option, it compacts everything within that email
    > account. So, if you have 3 different email accounts, then you will only
    > have to do it 3 times -- once for each account.

    Interesting. I use TB 0.8 with the global inbox. In this case, how does
    it work? I just noticed that several of my folder had to be compacted
    for a loooong time.

    BTW, stupid question, but how does it work with news and feeds?

    Nicolas
    --
    Ad Noiseam
    www.adnoiseam.net
    Nicolas Chevreux, Sep 1, 2004
  8. graeme@invalid

    Andreas Guest

    Nicolas Chevreux wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > on 01/Sep/04 16:21 Andreas wrote:
    >
    >> No, you don't compact all of them individually. When you use the
    >> compact folders option, it compacts everything within that email
    >> account. So, if you have 3 different email accounts, then you will
    >> only have to do it 3 times -- once for each account.

    > Interesting. I use TB 0.8 with the global inbox. In this case, how does
    > it work? I just noticed that several of my folder had to be compacted
    > for a loooong time.

    I don't know. I don't use TB, just Moz. But try clicking on File.

    > BTW, stupid question, but how does it work with news and feeds?
    >
    > Nicolas

    News -- it doesn't. Just for mail.

    Feeds -- I have no idea.

    Andreas, Sep 1, 2004
  9. Hello,

    on 01/Sep/04 17:00 Andreas wrote:
    > But try clicking on File.

    Sorry, but I am not sure what you mean by this.

    Nicolas
    --
    Ad Noiseam
    www.adnoiseam.net
    Nicolas Chevreux, Sep 1, 2004
  10. graeme@invalid

    Andreas Guest

    Nicolas Chevreux wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > on 01/Sep/04 17:00 Andreas wrote:
    >
    >> But try clicking on File.

    > Sorry, but I am not sure what you mean by this.
    >
    > Nicolas

    I don't know anything about T'bird, but for Compacting Folders, try
    clicking on File, the Compact Folders. Unless, of course, T'bird
    doesn't have File, then its located somewhere else, which you'll have to
    find.

    Andreas, Sep 1, 2004
  11. graeme@invalid

    Brian Guest

    Compacting Folders (was: Re: mozilla)

    Nicolas Chevreux wrote :
    > Hello,
    >
    > on 01/Sep/04 16:21 Andreas wrote:
    >
    >> No, you don't compact all of them individually. When you use the
    >> compact folders option, it compacts everything within that email
    >> account. So, if you have 3 different email accounts, then you will
    >> only have to do it 3 times -- once for each account.

    > Interesting. I use TB 0.8 with the global inbox. In this case, how does
    > it work? I just noticed that several of my folder had to be compacted
    > for a loooong time.
    >
    > BTW, stupid question, but how does it work with news and feeds?

    You can experiment and figure it out yourself. Just look in your TB
    email profile at the file sizes (not the .msf files).

    For example, if "Trash" is larger than 0 bytes, then it still contains
    the email messages. Compact your folders, and open it again... the
    messages are gone.

    Open the file with a text editor if you want to read the messages that
    are in the file.

    Cheers.

    Brian, Sep 1, 2004
  12. Hello,

    on 01/Sep/04 17:21 Andreas wrote:
    > I don't know anything about T'bird, but for Compacting Folders, try
    > clicking on File, the Compact Folders. Unless, of course, T'bird
    > doesn't have File, then its located somewhere else, which you'll have to
    > find.

    Oh, the "File" menu. I thought you were writing about the "File" button.
    Yes, TB has this. Found it, used it. Thank you very much.

    Nicolas
    --
    Ad Noiseam
    www.adnoiseam.net
    Nicolas Chevreux, Sep 1, 2004
  13. graeme@invalid

    Moz Champion Guest

    Andreas wrote:

    > Nicolas Chevreux wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> on 01/Sep/04 09:03 Moz Champion wrote:
    >>
    >>> Moving items to trash doesnt remove them, doesnt even move them. It
    >>> simple sets the pointers to the file to point to the trash. When you
    >>> empty the trash, it removes the pointers, but the file still remains
    >>> where it was before you moved it to trash. Compressing the folders
    >>> tells Mozilla to delete any files that were treshed and no longer
    >>> have any pointer to them.

    >> This is clear and works, but why is it so? What is the reason behind
    >> not directly removing the deleted emails and items? When one has a lot
    >> of folders, it means that one has to manually compact all of them
    >> pretty regularely.
    >>
    >> Nicolas

    > No, you don't compact all of them individually. When you use the
    > compact folders option, it compacts everything within that email
    > account. So, if you have 3 different email accounts, then you will only
    > have to do it 3 times -- once for each account.
    >
    > Andreas

    Thats how trash works on computers. Its the same way with your trash (or
    recycle bin) on Windows.

    When you move an item to such, it doesnt really move the item, all it
    does is change the pointers to the file to point to trash (or recycle).
    When you empty the trash (or recycle bin) it removes the pointers, but
    the file remains where it was.

    This method allows you to recover files from trash (recycle bin) even
    after you have emptied it. With Windows, the space the file took is
    marked 'available' so that, in time, the file will be overwritten by
    another. Within Mozilla, the space the file took is within a specific
    Mozilla file, so when you Compress Folders, Mozilla takes the file,
    eliminates the parts that are no longer there, then re-writes the file
    to disk.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Sep 2, 2004
  14. Hello,

    on 02/Sep/04 02:08 Moz Champion wrote:
    > Within Mozilla, the space the file took is within a specific
    > Mozilla file, so when you Compress Folders, Mozilla takes the file,
    > eliminates the parts that are no longer there, then re-writes the file
    > to disk.

    Understood. So, unless I compact my folder, I can find back old emails
    which I thought I had deleted ages ago, just by editing the mailbox, right?

    This sounds useful, but hungry for hard disk space.

    Nicolas
    --
    Ad Noiseam
    www.adnoiseam.net
    Nicolas Chevreux, Sep 2, 2004
  15. graeme@invalid

    Moz Champion Guest

    Nicolas Chevreux wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > on 02/Sep/04 02:08 Moz Champion wrote:
    > > Within Mozilla, the space the file took is within a specific

    >> Mozilla file, so when you Compress Folders, Mozilla takes the file,
    >> eliminates the parts that are no longer there, then re-writes the file
    >> to disk.

    > Understood. So, unless I compact my folder, I can find back old emails
    > which I thought I had deleted ages ago, just by editing the mailbox, right?
    >
    > This sounds useful, but hungry for hard disk space.
    >
    > Nicolas

    You would have to open the files in a text editor, but yes, thats the idea.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Sep 2, 2004
  16. graeme@invalid

    Michael C. Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 02:27:29 +0200,
    Nicolas Chevreux <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > on 02/Sep/04 02:08 Moz Champion wrote:
    > > Within Mozilla, the space the file took is within a specific
    > > Mozilla file, so when you Compress Folders, Mozilla takes the file,
    > > eliminates the parts that are no longer there, then re-writes the file
    > > to disk.

    > Understood. So, unless I compact my folder, I can find back old emails
    > which I thought I had deleted ages ago, just by editing the mailbox, right?
    >
    > This sounds useful, but hungry for hard disk space.

    Edit->Preferences->Mail & Newsgroups->Offline & Diskspace

    in Mozilla 1.8a1.

    Michael C.
    --
    http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair.
    Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair,
    and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we
    actually deserve them?" - Marcus Cole
    Michael C., Sep 4, 2004