Mozilla, what version

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Richard Malcolm-Smith, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Steve Robertson wrote:

    > How do I tell what version of Mozilla I have installed??

    help -> about

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    steve Guest

    Steve Robertson wrote:

    > How do I tell what version of Mozilla I have installed??

    Help -> About (Mozilla in this case)

    (like pretty much any app on Windows or Linux).

    steve, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    CollectorNZ Guest

    CollectorNZ, Feb 20, 2004
  4. How do I tell what version of Mozilla I have installed??

    Steve Robertson, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    Jason M Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:16:00 +1300, steve <> wrote:

    >Steve Robertson wrote:
    >
    >> How do I tell what version of Mozilla I have installed??

    >Help -> About (Mozilla in this case)
    >
    >(like pretty much any app on Windows or Linux).

    My Mozilla says:
    Mozilla 1.5
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007

    My friend's Mozilla says:
    Mozilla 1.5
    Mozilla/5.0 (and I didn't make a note of the rest and now he's
    overseas so I can't check)

    And these two Mozillas are completely different.
    The help files are entirely different.
    The way bookmarks are handled is different.

    So, I'd also like to know the answer to the query
    "How do I tell what version of Mozilla I have installed??"

    Every different release of software should have a short code to
    indicate the version. Even Agent doesn't do it right.

    When I use Help -> About in Agent I am shown
    "Agent 1.21/32"
    when the correct version number (as posted in newsgroups) is
    "Agent 1.21/32.243"

    Yes it is important to know the difference sometimes.

    Jason M, Feb 20, 2004
  6. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    CollectorNZ Guest

    Jason M wrote:

    >On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:16:00 +1300, steve <> wrote:
    >

    >>Steve Robertson wrote:
    >>

    >>>How do I tell what version of Mozilla I have installed??
    >>>

    >>Help -> About (Mozilla in this case)
    >>
    >>(like pretty much any app on Windows or Linux).
    >>

    >My Mozilla says:
    >Mozilla 1.5
    >Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007
    >
    >My friend's Mozilla says:
    >Mozilla 1.5
    >Mozilla/5.0 (and I didn't make a note of the rest and now he's
    >overseas so I can't check)
    >
    >And these two Mozillas are completely different.
    >The help files are entirely different.
    >The way bookmarks are handled is different.
    >
    >So, I'd also like to know the answer to the query
    >"How do I tell what version of Mozilla I have installed??"
    >
    >Every different release of software should have a short code to
    >indicate the version. Even Agent doesn't do it right.
    >
    >When I use Help -> About in Agent I am shown
    >"Agent 1.21/32"
    >when the correct version number (as posted in newsgroups) is
    >"Agent 1.21/32.243"
    >
    >Yes it is important to know the difference sometimes.

    Thats right, using extensions and what is built into Mozilla it is
    highly configurable.

    CollectorNZ, Feb 21, 2004
  7. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    Max Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 00:52:41 GMT, (Steve Robertson)
    wrote:

    >In article <z7lZb.25317$>, steve <> wrote:
    >>Steve Robertson wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do I tell what version of Mozilla I have installed??

    >>Help -> About (Mozilla in this case)
    >>
    >>(like pretty much any app on Windows or Linux).

    >Ah try again
    >Help about doesnt tell you the ver no in mozilla.

    Does for me, loads in a browser window, 1.6
    Just wondering, what is the difference between Mozilla and firefox?

    Max, Feb 21, 2004

    Steve Robertson, Feb 21, 2004
  9. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:20:03 GMT, (Jason M)
    wrote:

    >Every different release of software should have a short code to
    >indicate the version. Even Agent doesn't do it right.
    >
    >When I use Help -> About in Agent I am shown
    >"Agent 1.21/32"
    >when the correct version number (as posted in newsgroups) is
    >"Agent 1.21/32.243"

    You should upgrade. The latest version (as given by Help-->About) is
    1.93/32.576

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 21, 2004
  10. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    Jason M Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:22:59 +1300, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:20:03 GMT, (Jason M)
    >wrote:

    >>When I use Help -> About in Agent I am shown
    >>"Agent 1.21/32"
    >>when the correct version number (as posted in newsgroups) is
    >>"Agent 1.21/32.243"
    >>

    >You should upgrade. The latest version (as given by Help-->About) is
    >1.93/32.576

    But does it have the same features? They've removed good features in
    the free version in the past, e.g. sort and move.
    Does 1.93 have Save Messages as Unix file?

    Jason M, Feb 21, 2004
  11. On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 06:58:29 GMT, (Jason M)
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:22:59 +1300, Enkidu <>
    >wrote:

    >>On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:20:03 GMT, (Jason M)
    >>wrote:

    >>>When I use Help -> About in Agent I am shown
    >>>"Agent 1.21/32"
    >>>when the correct version number (as posted in newsgroups) is
    >>>"Agent 1.21/32.243"
    >>>

    >>You should upgrade. The latest version (as given by Help-->About) is
    >>1.93/32.576

    >But does it have the same features? They've removed good features in
    >the free version in the past, e.g. sort and move.
    >Does 1.93 have Save Messages as Unix file?

    2.0/32.640 seems to.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Feb 21, 2004
  12. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    Enkidu Guest

    wrote:

    >On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:22:59 +1300, Enkidu <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:20:03 GMT, (Jason M)
    >>wrote:

    >>>When I use Help -> About in Agent I am shown
    >>>"Agent 1.21/32"
    >>>when the correct version number (as posted in newsgroups) is
    >>>"Agent 1.21/32.243"
    >>>

    >>You should upgrade. The latest version (as given by Help-->About) is
    >>1.93/32.576

    >But does it have the same features? They've removed good features in
    >the free version in the past, e.g. sort and move.
    >Does 1.93 have Save Messages as Unix file?

    Yes.

    What else?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 21, 2004
  13. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    Jason M Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:39:22 +1300, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 06:58:29 GMT, (Jason M)
    >wrote:

    >>Does 1.93 have Save Messages as Unix file?
    >>

    >Yes.
    >
    >What else?

    I don't need anything else :)
    Actually I would like to be able to sort messages, for which I'd need
    the non-Free Agent.
    Do any other newsreaders have Save Messages as Unix file?

    Jason M, Feb 22, 2004
  14. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:34:56 +1300, Max wrote:

    > Just wondering, what is the difference between Mozilla and firefox?

    Firebox, was Firebird, is the child of Mozilla. Thunderbird is the second
    child and thus the next generation is underway.

    Firebox, is a WEB only programme. It is like a fighter jet, built to do
    one thing and do it well. Okay Unix has had this idea from year zero. ;-)

    Thunderbird, apart from being a car, is also a mail and news reader.

    NB Both Firebox and Thunderbird like their parents are programes which
    run on several platforms.

    Gordon, Feb 22, 2004
  15. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:09:06 GMT, (Jason M)
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:39:22 +1300, Enkidu <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 06:58:29 GMT, (Jason M)
    >>wrote:

    >>>Does 1.93 have Save Messages as Unix file?
    >>>

    >>Yes.
    >>
    >>What else?

    >I don't need anything else :)
    >Actually I would like to be able to sort messages, for which I'd need
    >the non-Free Agent.
    >Do any other newsreaders have Save Messages as Unix file?

    What sort of Unix file? There are least three Unix mailbox formats
    that I know of.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 22, 2004
  16. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    Jason M Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:19:07 +1300, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:09:06 GMT, (Jason M)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:39:22 +1300, Enkidu <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Yes.
    >>>
    >>>What else?

    >>I don't need anything else :)
    >>Actually I would like to be able to sort messages, for which I'd need
    >>the non-Free Agent.
    >>Do any other newsreaders have Save Messages as Unix file?
    >>

    >What sort of Unix file? There are least three Unix mailbox formats
    >that I know of.

    It just looks like an ordinary text file, like what Notepad might
    generate, with a line with "From xxx" and the date at the front, then
    the post, then terminated by a blank line.

    Jason M, Feb 22, 2004