    Tried FireFox and everything works even an old page i couldnt get into
    loaded straight away.
    Firefox gets a thumbs up
    Starkey, May 28, 2004

  2. Starkey

    PseUDO Guest

    Starkey wrote:

    > having been a Opera Browser User for awhile i dloaded Mozilla FireFox
    > 0.8 and said WOW this is so much better.
    > Opera in the last few days was playing up not storing cookies for
    > certain pages, some pages arent loading at all
    > Tried FireFox and everything works even an old page i couldnt get into
    > loaded straight away.
    > Firefox gets a thumbs up

    Yep it's a great browser, i only ever use IE now for windows update.

    Firefox 0.9 is due in about 2 weeks :)

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, May 29, 2004

  3. Starkey

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 09:11:20 +1200, Starkey <>
    wrote:

    >having been a Opera Browser User for awhile i dloaded Mozilla FireFox
    >0.8 and said WOW this is so much better.
    >Opera in the last few days was playing up not storing cookies for
    >certain pages, some pages arent loading at all
    >Tried FireFox and everything works even an old page i couldnt get into
    >loaded straight away.
    >Firefox gets a thumbs up

    I use both but mostly Opera which I have no trouble with. What
    version Opera are you using? Current version is 7.5.
    GraB, May 29, 2004
  4. Starkey

    Starkey Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 14:22:35 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 29 May 2004 09:11:20 +1200, Starkey <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>having been a Opera Browser User for awhile i dloaded Mozilla FireFox
    >>0.8 and said WOW this is so much better.
    >>Opera in the last few days was playing up not storing cookies for
    >>certain pages, some pages arent loading at all
    >>Tried FireFox and everything works even an old page i couldnt get into
    >>loaded straight away.
    >>Firefox gets a thumbs up

    >I use both but mostly Opera which I have no trouble with. What
    >version Opera are you using? Current version is 7.5.

    the newest one reason i was using firefox is one of the fourms i
    belong to wont load in opera or IE only firefox it comes up in
    Starkey, May 29, 2004
  5. Starkey

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 16:05:06 +1200, Starkey wrote:

    > the newest one reason i was using firefox is one of the fourms i
    > belong to wont load in opera or IE only firefox it comes up in

    Is the forum open. as in could you post a URL and us readers could test to
    see if it works?

    When it comes to the web *any* browser should be able to reach/work on any
    web page. If not then something is dysfunctional.
    Gordon, May 29, 2004
  6. Starkey

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 13:27:16 +1200, PseUDO wrote:

    > Yep it's a great browser, i only ever use IE now for windows update.

    Does Firefox work for this? I guess not.
    Gordon, May 29, 2004
  7. Starkey

    steve Guest

    Starkey wrote:
    > having been a Opera Browser User for awhile i dloaded Mozilla FireFox
    > 0.8 and said WOW this is so much better.
    > Opera in the last few days was playing up not storing cookies for
    > certain pages, some pages arent loading at all
    > Tried FireFox and everything works even an old page i couldnt get into
    > loaded straight away.
    > Firefox gets a thumbs up

    I'm using it, too.

    It's pretty good.
    steve, May 29, 2004
  8. Starkey

    Graymond Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 May 2004 13:27:16 +1200, PseUDO wrote:
    >

    >>Yep it's a great browser, i only ever use IE now for windows update.

    > Does Firefox work for this? I guess not.

    Why not use Help and Support for Updates.
    Was a Opera user for a long time but had trouble with some secure sites,
    this frustration led me to Mozilla then FireFox ala Firebird.

    Graymond, May 29, 2004
  9. Starkey

    DonB Guest

    I have been trying FireFox for a few days, and enjoyed it until I
    found when I looked at my website, that it changes the font, and one
    photo won't display, no matter how often I reload it. Went back to IE
    and no problem?
    DonB

    DonB, May 29, 2004
  10. Starkey

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 11:20:57 +0000, DonB wrote:

    > I have been trying FireFox for a few days, and enjoyed it until I found
    > when I looked at my website, that it changes the font, and one photo won't
    > display, no matter how often I reload it. Went back to IE and no problem?

    Sounds like a problem with your website.

    Divine

    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
    but this old Queen wants a drink."
    Divine, May 29, 2004
  11. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 29 May 2004 13:27:16 +1200, PseUDO wrote:
    >
    > > Yep it's a great browser, i only ever use IE now for windows update.

    > Does Firefox work for this? I guess not.

    No, there is not yet ActiveX support, the closest Netscape ever achieved
    is with a plugin
    Patrick Dunford, May 29, 2004
  12. In article <40b81ca6$>, steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz
    says...
    > Starkey wrote:
    > > having been a Opera Browser User for awhile i dloaded Mozilla FireFox
    > > 0.8 and said WOW this is so much better.
    > > Opera in the last few days was playing up not storing cookies for
    > > certain pages, some pages arent loading at all
    > > Tried FireFox and everything works even an old page i couldnt get into
    > > loaded straight away.
    > > Firefox gets a thumbs up

    > I'm using it, too.
    >
    > It's pretty good.

    Tabbrowser extensions in Firefox isn't as good as Multizilla in moz.
    Patrick Dunford, May 29, 2004
  13. Starkey

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 11:20:57 GMT, in article
    <>, DonB wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 May 2004 09:11:20 +1200, Starkey <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Firefox gets a thumbs up

    > I have been trying FireFox for a few days, and enjoyed it until I
    > found when I looked at my website, that it changes the font, and one
    > photo won't display, no matter how often I reload it. Went back to IE
    > and no problem?

    I suggest that you run your site through an HTML validator.
    W3C free on-line HTML validator: http://validator.w3.org/

    If it passes, then post the URL so we can see for ourselves.

    --
    Cheers
    Ralph Fox

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such an annoying thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Ralph Fox, May 29, 2004
  14. Starkey

    DonB Guest

    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Well, the site works 100% with IE, and has for months, and does work
    now after changing back.
    Here is my site. The problem was with a graphic on the 2nd page.
    DonB
    http://oink.kiwiwebhost.biz/

    DonB, May 29, 2004
  15. Starkey

    thing Guest

    Starkey wrote:
    > having been a Opera Browser User for awhile i dloaded Mozilla FireFox
    > 0.8 and said WOW this is so much better.
    > Opera in the last few days was playing up not storing cookies for
    > certain pages, some pages arent loading at all
    > Tried FireFox and everything works even an old page i couldnt get into
    > loaded straight away.
    > Firefox gets a thumbs up

    I find Opera's memory footprint and stability very good.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, May 29, 2004
  16. Starkey

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 21:51:57 GMT, in article
    <>, DonB wrote:

    > Thanks for your thoughts.
    > Well, the site works 100% with IE, and has for months, and does work
    > now after changing back.
    > Here is my site. The problem was with a graphic on the 2nd page.
    > DonB
    > http://oink.kiwiwebhost.biz/

    I presume the 2nd page is http://oink.kiwiwebhost.biz/untitled_000000.html

    There are only two differences I see between Mozilla and IE.

    1. The most obvious difference is that
    • In Mozilla the page background is black.
    • In IE (4.0) the main page background is white (there are black
    'table cell' backgrounds only behind some areas on the page).

    On line 28 of the HTML source code, you have set the page background
    to black.

    It seems that Mozilla _is_ doing what you told it to do, but IE is not.

    The page has HTML coding errors. For example, you have two <body>
    tags. If they both don't specify the same background colour, then
    you can take pot luck which one any particular browser will use.

    2. The other difference is that -- because I do not have a "CityBlueprint"
    font on my system -- each browser is resorting to its default font.

    If I change the "CityBlueprint" to another font which I do have
    on my system, then all browsers show the same font.

    You really should specify, not just one font-family name, but a
    prioritized list. The list should include one or more fonts which
    you expect most people would have. The list should end with a
    generic-family such as "serif", "sans-serif" or "cursive",
    just in case none of the fonts are on someone's PC.
    See the CSS 1 spec at http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS1#font-family

    > >On Sat, 29 May 2004 11:20:57 GMT, in article
    > ><>, DonB wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have been trying FireFox for a few days, and enjoyed it until I
    > >> found when I looked at my website, that it changes the font,

    It only changes the font for me when I do not have the one font
    which your HTML specifies.

    Q1: Do you have the "CityBlueprint" font on your PC?

    Q2: Do you expect everyone else reading your site to
    have the "CityBlueprint" font? Because if not,
    you should either (a) change your HTML, or
    (b) expect the font to change.

    > >> and one
    > >> photo won't display, no matter how often I reload it.

    No such problem here.

    I see 15 photos in Mozilla and 15 photos in IE.

    I checked the HTML source code. There are 15 photos plus one counter
    making a total of sixteen images.

    > >> Went back to IE
    > >> and no problem?

    I see a problem in IE 4.0, in that IE 4.0 is not honouring your
    HTML where it sets the page background to black.

    > >I suggest that you run your site through an HTML validator.
    > >W3C free on-line HTML validator: http://validator.w3.org/

    You really really should do this. And run the CSS through a CSS validator.

    > >If it passes, then post the URL so we can see for ourselves.

    It hasn't passed yet.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
    Ralph Fox, May 30, 2004
  17. Starkey

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 21:51:57 GMT, (DonB) wrote:

    >Thanks for your thoughts.
    > Well, the site works 100% with IE, and has for months, and does work
    >now after changing back.
    >Here is my site. The problem was with a graphic on the 2nd page.
    >DonB
    >http://oink.kiwiwebhost.biz/

    I tried that link and the second page with Opera 7.5, Firefox and IE6.
    They seem to be pretty much the same on all except Firefox fonts were
    serif while the others were sanserif.
    GraB, May 30, 2004
  18. Starkey

    zog Guest

    A 'trick' I have is to use firefox almost all the time. I do not have
    'Flash' enabled or anything else. But when I want a flash-enabled site -
    which is rare indeed - I use IE.

    zog, May 30, 2004
  19. Starkey

    Mutley Guest

    thing <> wrote:

    >Starkey wrote:
    >> having been a Opera Browser User for awhile i dloaded Mozilla FireFox
    >> 0.8 and said WOW this is so much better.
    >> Opera in the last few days was playing up not storing cookies for
    >> certain pages, some pages arent loading at all
    >> Tried FireFox and everything works even an old page i couldnt get into
    >> loaded straight away.
    >> Firefox gets a thumbs up

    >I find Opera's memory footprint and stability very good.
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    My main reason for keeping with Opera that it opens every page in a
    separate folder within the main window. Firefox and IE insist on
    opening a separate browser ever time. However I find that Firefox
    seems more compatible on web sites than Opera
    Mutley, May 30, 2004
  20. Starkey

    brundlefly Guest

    "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    > thing <> wrote:
    >
    > >Starkey wrote:
    > >> having been a Opera Browser User for awhile i dloaded Mozilla FireFox
    > >> 0.8 and said WOW this is so much better.
    > >> Opera in the last few days was playing up not storing cookies for
    > >> certain pages, some pages arent loading at all
    > >> Tried FireFox and everything works even an old page i couldnt get into
    > >> loaded straight away.
    > >> Firefox gets a thumbs up

    > >I find Opera's memory footprint and stability very good.
    > >
    > >regards
    > >
    > >Thing

    > My main reason for keeping with Opera that it opens every page in a
    > separate folder within the main window. Firefox and IE insist on
    > opening a separate browser ever time. However I find that Firefox
    > seems more compatible on web sites than Opera

    In Firefox, click the link with your middle mouse button, or control click
    and it will open in a tab.
    brundlefly, May 30, 2004