Mozilla & Virus's

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by SalsaMaster, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. SalsaMaster

    SalsaMaster Guest

    Getting fed up with all the problems and "Patches" surrounding MS's IE
    explorer, I decided to start looking at other browser options. I downloaded
    Mozilla 4.1 the other day and have just started playing around with it. I
    also set up an account with the mailer program and left it runnning last
    night.

    When I woke up my PC this morning there were 2 messages that I'm not sure
    how to decipher... probably cause I'm used to Outlook Express. I recognize
    the messages as typical virus's... it's the one that look like it comes
    from MS with the latest security patch. But with OE I'm accustomed to
    Norton AV catching the virus and deleting it, leaving the message body
    intact. In this case, the subject line has been replaced with "[message
    from WAKWAK virus detect system]" and there is a great deal of text in the
    body of the message before the typical message body of this particular hoax
    begins. Pat of the message body that has been added says

    "WAKWAK Virus Detect System has found the file which is infected with
    coumputer virus on the e-mail you recieved.
    The virus was exterminated, but some files infected with unexterminable
    virus was removed. (Deleted files were replaced to DELETED#.txt)"

    I've searched the help files but can find nothing in regards to WAKWAK. I
    also looked for Virus in the help files but found nothing. I also couldn't
    find anything at Mozilla.org, and a quick search on Google turns up nothing
    meaningful to Mozilla and Virus scanning.

    So, can someone shed some light on how the mail reader in Mozilla handles /
    detects virus's ?

    But now that I'm typing this, I'm also wondering if this is some new virus
    detection method that my ISP (comcast) has implemented ? I need to look
    into that as well.

    Thanks,

    David...
    SalsaMaster, Oct 5, 2003

  2. SalsaMaster

    Ed Mullen Guest

    SalsaMaster wrote:

    > Getting fed up with all the problems and "Patches" surrounding MS's IE
    > explorer, I decided to start looking at other browser options. I downloaded
    > Mozilla 4.1 the other day and have just started playing around with it. I
    > also set up an account with the mailer program and left it runnning last
    > night.
    >
    > When I woke up my PC this morning there were 2 messages that I'm not sure
    > how to decipher... probably cause I'm used to Outlook Express. I recognize
    > the messages as typical virus's... it's the one that look like it comes
    > from MS with the latest security patch. But with OE I'm accustomed to
    > Norton AV catching the virus and deleting it, leaving the message body
    > intact. In this case, the subject line has been replaced with "[message
    > from WAKWAK virus detect system]" and there is a great deal of text in the
    > body of the message before the typical message body of this particular hoax
    > begins. Pat of the message body that has been added says
    >
    > "WAKWAK Virus Detect System has found the file which is infected with
    > coumputer virus on the e-mail you recieved.
    > The virus was exterminated, but some files infected with unexterminable
    > virus was removed. (Deleted files were replaced to DELETED#.txt)"
    >
    > I've searched the help files but can find nothing in regards to WAKWAK. I
    > also looked for Virus in the help files but found nothing. I also couldn't
    > find anything at Mozilla.org, and a quick search on Google turns up nothing
    > meaningful to Mozilla and Virus scanning.
    >
    > So, can someone shed some light on how the mail reader in Mozilla handles /
    > detects virus's ?
    >
    > But now that I'm typing this, I'm also wondering if this is some new virus
    > detection method that my ISP (comcast) has implemented ? I need to look
    > into that as well.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > David...

    I think this is one of the many junk messages that have been propagating
    with the recent rash of viruses. The ones I've seen don't have any
    virus attached.

    As for Mozilla, it doesn't handle or detect viruses. Norton works fine
    with Mozilla, I'm using System Works 2003 and Mozilla 1.5rc2 and they're
    quite happy together.

    I don't think WAKWAK has anything to do with Comcast but I'm not sure.

    --
    Ed Mullen - Mozilla Champion
    http://edmullen.net

    A preposition must never be used to end a sentence with.
    Ed Mullen, Oct 5, 2003