Mozilla / Thunderbird

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Patrick Dunford, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. It looks like Mozilla 1.7 and Thunderbird 0.7 have been released.
    Patrick Dunford, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Patrick Dunford

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:36:34 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > It looks like Mozilla 1.7 and Thunderbird 0.7 have been released.

    Nope, they are in wild, have been foe several days. ;-)

    Psst, Firefox 0.9 is also out there, in all her variants.
    Gordon, Jun 27, 2004

  3. Patrick Dunford

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:36:34 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    >> It looks like Mozilla 1.7 and Thunderbird 0.7 have been released.

    > Nope, they are in wild, have been foe several days. ;-)
    >
    > Psst, Firefox 0.9 is also out there, in all her variants.

    Ok, please explain. I've downloaded and installed Moz 1.7 so I can have a
    play with it. Whassup with Firefox? What's the difference?

    'Scuse my ignorance. I run Windows.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jun 27, 2004
  4. Patrick Dunford

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Gordon wrote:
    >> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:36:34 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>
    >>> It looks like Mozilla 1.7 and Thunderbird 0.7 have been released.

    >> Nope, they are in wild, have been foe several days. ;-)
    >>
    >> Psst, Firefox 0.9 is also out there, in all her variants.

    > Ok, please explain. I've downloaded and installed Moz 1.7 so I can have a
    > play with it. Whassup with Firefox? What's the difference?
    >
    > 'Scuse my ignorance. I run Windows.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Mozilla is Browser and mail and newsreader and HTML composer and a few other
    things.

    Firefox is browser - supposedly next-generation Mozilla.

    Thunderbird is mail and news reader

    You can use all three as it suits....but I now use Firefox 0.9 as my
    browser...and Evolution for mail and Knode for newsreading.

    Firefox 0.9 is reasonably light, fast and has some nice features.
    steve, Jun 27, 2004
  5. Patrick Dunford

    ~misfit~ Guest

    steve wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon wrote:

    >>> Nope, they are in wild, have been foe several days. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> Psst, Firefox 0.9 is also out there, in all her variants.

    >> Ok, please explain. I've downloaded and installed Moz 1.7 so I can
    >> have a play with it. Whassup with Firefox? What's the difference?
    >>
    >> 'Scuse my ignorance. I run Windows.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    > Mozilla is Browser and mail and newsreader and HTML composer and a
    > few other things.

    Including IM I notice, although I haven't been able to connect. As an
    experiment, I don't IM.

    > Firefox is browser - supposedly next-generation Mozilla.
    >
    > Thunderbird is mail and news reader
    >
    > You can use all three as it suits....but I now use Firefox 0.9 as my
    > browser...and Evolution for mail and Knode for newsreading.
    >
    > Firefox 0.9 is reasonably light, fast and has some nice features.

    Thank you kind Sir.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jun 28, 2004
  6. In article <3BuDc.4455$>, misfit61nz@yahoo-
    mung.co.nz says...
    > Gordon wrote:
    > > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:36:34 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > >
    > >> It looks like Mozilla 1.7 and Thunderbird 0.7 have been released.

    > > Nope, they are in wild, have been foe several days. ;-)
    > >
    > > Psst, Firefox 0.9 is also out there, in all her variants.

    > Ok, please explain. I've downloaded and installed Moz 1.7 so I can have a
    > play with it. Whassup with Firefox? What's the difference?

    FF is supposedly a lightweight version of Mozilla. It doesn't have as
    many options or extensions available. The only thing I like about FF over
    Mozilla is the configuration UI.
    Patrick Dunford, Jun 28, 2004
  7. In article <>, says...
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > Gordon wrote:

    > >> Nope, they are in wild, have been foe several days. ;-)
    > >>
    > >> Psst, Firefox 0.9 is also out there, in all her variants.

    > > Ok, please explain. I've downloaded and installed Moz 1.7 so I can have a
    > > play with it. Whassup with Firefox? What's the difference?
    > >
    > > 'Scuse my ignorance. I run Windows.
    > > --
    > > ~misfit~

    > Mozilla is Browser and mail and newsreader and HTML composer and a few other
    > things.

    But you can choose not to install all of them.

    > Firefox is browser - supposedly next-generation Mozilla.

    Supposedly. But not everyone in the Mozilla Project agrees with the idea.
    Patrick Dunford, Jun 28, 2004
  8. Patrick Dunford

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:30:30 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <3BuDc.4455$>, misfit61nz@yahoo-
    > mung.co.nz says...

    [ snip ]

    > FF is supposedly a lightweight version of Mozilla. It doesn't have as many
    > options or extensions available. The only thing I like about FF over
    > Mozilla is the configuration UI.

    Not _truly_ lightweight (as in Lynx or Dillo) - just Mozilla with the
    Email and other bits left out - it is still built from XUL.
    I have still found it is slow if you build in anti-aliased fonts
    and run it on an old PC (eg: my K6/2). After spending ages doing
    that, I reverted to --disable-xft to get back the snappy response.
    I do agree with Patrick about the nicer config UI.
    Murray Symon, Jun 28, 2004