    Have someone an explanation about this problem ?

    Thanks.

    C. Tobini

    C. Tobini, Apr 27, 2005

  2. C. Tobini

    Moz Champion Guest

    C. Tobini wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a little problem with Mozilla 1.7.3 for Mac OS X : when I try to
    > link a file (50 MB) with my gmail account (online not with a mail
    > software) I have a 'the document contains no data' message error.
    >
    > Have someone an explanation about this problem ?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > C. Tobini

    ?? A 50 MEGABYTE mail file?

    Well, heres your problem!
    With Gmail, you can send and receive messages up to 10 megabytes (MB) in
    size. However, the precise amount allowable will depend on the attachment.

    When you add an attachment, the size of a file may increase because
    transport encodings are automatically added. (Transport encodings are
    the information that allows your message to be safely sent and read.)

    This means that in some cases, attachments that are 6 to 10MB in size
    may push the total message size above 10MB. When this happens, Gmail
    displays a warning that your message exceeds the 10MB limit.

    The message exceeds the gmail limit of 10mb per message. it probably
    doesnt contain any data, because gmail refused to accept it.

    Moz Champion, Apr 27, 2005

  3. C. Tobini

    C. Tobini Guest

    Hello Moz Champion and thanks for your answer,

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > ?? A 50 MEGABYTE mail file?
    >
    > Well, heres your problem!
    > With Gmail, you can send and receive messages up to 10 megabytes (MB) in
    > size […]

    OK, that's not a Mozilla problem, I didn't know that attachments were
    size limited with gmail. Do you know I there is a technical limitation
    or to avoid sending music or movie file ?

    C. Tobini

    C. Tobini, Apr 28, 2005
  4. C. Tobini

    Moz Champion Guest

    C. Tobini wrote:
    > Hello Moz Champion and thanks for your answer,
    >
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> ?? A 50 MEGABYTE mail file?
    >>
    >> Well, heres your problem!
    >> With Gmail, you can send and receive messages up to 10 megabytes (MB)
    >> in size […]

    > OK, that's not a Mozilla problem, I didn't know that attachments were
    > size limited with gmail. Do you know I there is a technical limitation
    > or to avoid sending music or movie file ?
    >
    > C. Tobini

    The limitation is from
    http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html

    Simply reading that will give one an idea of what gmail was designed
    around, a method of storing messages a person has received in one
    place, (so they can be searched effectively). Since prior to gmail
    most mail was limited to 10mb TOTAL mail box space, one can presume it
    never occurred to Google that a message would exceed that! And since
    Google Gmail was designed concurrent with the current efforts to reduce
    copyright violations, I am sure that such a limitation was meant to
    discourage it from becomiing a forum for exchange of programs/music/movies.

    There wouldnt neccessarily be a technical limitation, it is an
    arbritrary limit set by Google AFAIK

    Moz Champion, Apr 28, 2005
  5. C. Tobini

    C. Tobini Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    I am sure that such a limitation was meant to
    > discourage it from becomiing a forum for exchange of programs/music/movies […]

    It's a pity, that would have been great for legal exchange (family),
    more simple for basic users.

    C. Tobini

    C. Tobini, Apr 28, 2005
  6. C. Tobini

    Big Will Guest

    C. Tobini wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    > I am sure that such a limitation was meant to
    >
    >> discourage it from becomiing a forum for exchange of
    >> programs/music/movies […]

    > It's a pity, that would have been great for legal exchange (family),
    > more simple for basic users.
    >
    > C. Tobini

    Well, in OE (boo! OE), you could tell it to break apart messages over
    /x/ kb. It would be nice if there was an extension for this
    functionality in Moz. Thunderbird (or Moz. Suite?). A quick google
    didn't turn up anything.
    Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your
    customers drift off to free webmail services install your own
    web gateway!
    -- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----

    Big Will, Apr 28, 2005
  7. I get that all the time with moz1.7.6/win98se. Not necessarliy with
    gmail, though.

    poly-p man

    =?iso-8859-1?B?/vOh/y3e9SH9IG1A8Q==?=, Apr 29, 2005
  8. C. Tobini

    C. Tobini Guest

    Big Will wrote:
    > Well, in OE (boo! OE), you could tell it to break apart messages over
    > /x/ kb.

    Hello Big Will and thanks for your answer. I think I will force my
    friends to use a FTP software, that will be more simple for me :)

    C. Tobini

    C. Tobini, May 1, 2005
  9. C. Tobini

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Big Will wrote:

    > C. Tobini wrote:
    >
    >> Moz Champion wrote:
    >> I am sure that such a limitation was meant to
    >>
    >>> discourage it from becomiing a forum for exchange of
    >>> programs/music/movies […]

    >> It's a pity, that would have been great for legal exchange (family),
    >> more simple for basic users.
    >>
    >> C. Tobini

    > Well, in OE (boo! OE), you could tell it to break apart messages over
    > /x/ kb. It would be nice if there was an extension for this
    > functionality in Moz. Thunderbird (or Moz. Suite?). A quick google
    > didn't turn up anything.
    > ------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------
    > Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your
    > customers drift off to free webmail services install your own
    > web gateway!
    > -- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----

    Combine and decode at: http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_combine.html

    The utilities mentioned will also encode and break a file into smaller
    chunks. Granted, it's not an extension, it isn't a one-step operation,
    but it does work.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net