    P4 2.8 HT
    512MB ram
    Win2k with latest updates.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 16, 2004

  2. In article <>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
    says...
    > I just noticed that when mozilla is closed, the tray application uses
    > 21MB of memory, if it's not actually open, then shouldn't it be using a
    > lot less?
    >
    > This is for
    > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98) Mnenhy/0.6.0.104
    >

    > Just for reference, while running with mail open composing this message,
    > it's using 39MB.
    >
    > P4 2.8 HT
    > 512MB ram
    > Win2k with latest updates.

    It keeps part of Mozilla loaded...obviously 21 MB is still loaded.
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 16, 2004

  3. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>I just noticed that when mozilla is closed, the tray application uses
    >>21MB of memory, if it's not actually open, then shouldn't it be using a
    >>lot less?
    >>Just for reference, while running with mail open composing this message,
    >>it's using 39MB.

    > It keeps part of Mozilla loaded...obviously 21 MB is still loaded.

    There is only 22.6MB in the mozilla folder in program files.
    even C:\Documents and Settings\dave$\Application Data\Mozilla is only
    another 6MB.

    holy crap thats a lot to cache.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 16, 2004
  4. In article <>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
    says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > >>I just noticed that when mozilla is closed, the tray application uses
    > >>21MB of memory, if it's not actually open, then shouldn't it be using a
    > >>lot less?
    > >>Just for reference, while running with mail open composing this message,
    > >>it's using 39MB.

    > > It keeps part of Mozilla loaded...obviously 21 MB is still loaded.

    > There is only 22.6MB in the mozilla folder in program files.
    > even C:\Documents and Settings\dave$\Application Data\Mozilla is only
    > another 6MB.
    >
    > holy crap thats a lot to cache.

    I have 13.9 MB in my Mozilla folder and 20MB in my Mozilla profile.

    I assume all that is really closed is the current window, the rest of the
    data it needs is still in use.

    Wintop shows that with no windows open memory use is 10MB code and 11MB
    data, with 6 threads.
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 16, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:32:49 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > I just noticed that when mozilla is closed, the tray application uses
    > 21MB of memory, if it's not actually open, then shouldn't it be using a
    > lot less?

    [snip]

    Have you checked if you have switched on the "fast startup" option?
    Mozilla keeps a lot of its core in RAM when you have this selected.
    There is a trade-off between fast start-up and minimising memory usage.

    Bear in mind that IE always has a lot of its own core data/code loaded
    all the time - but it is not so visible because it is part of Windows
    itself.

    Murray.
    Murray Symon, Jul 17, 2004