    Stubby Guest

    Has anyone switched? Are you happy? Is there a calendar program to
    go with the combo? Tagzilla? Adblock?

    Stubby, Jun 28, 2005

  2. Stubby wrote:
    > Has anyone switched?

    Yes.

    > Are you happy?

    Mostly. Though individually Firefox and Thunderbird are much smaller and
    more optimized than the Suite, the fact that they're separate apps means
    that each one has to load it's own copy of the XPCOM modules it uses, so
    together they start even slower and use even more memory than the Suite.
    I believe the developers are working on a way to make all Mozilla apps
    share the same modules, but we probably won't see it until 3.0 at least.
    However, this is worth it for the much better handling of extensions
    they provide (and the much larger number of them available). Any Suite
    features that you find you miss can be added to Firefox and Thunderbird
    with extensions (except the ability to control which file types they
    associate themselves with), though you may have to go to
    extensionsmirror.nl rather than addons.mozilla.org to find them.

    > Is there a calendar program to
    > go with the combo?

    Yes, same one the Suite uses. Go to the Mozilla Homepage, click "All
    Projects", and click "Calendar". There's two versions, the Calendar
    extension which can be installed into either Thunderbird or Firefox, or
    the standalone version called Sunbird.

    > Tagzilla?

    I believe there's a version of TagZilla for Firefox and Thunderbird.

    > Adblock?

    Yes, and even more anti-advertisement extensions.

    --
    Ryukage

    Damian Dollahite, Jun 30, 2005