    Mozilla Mail's spelI checker. I found the spell check dictionary, but
    its time stamp suggests it hasn't my additions. Where does Mozilla
    Mail keep these?

    carlton hunter, Feb 1, 2004

  2. carlton hunter

    Keith Bowes Guest

    carlton hunter wrote:
    > I use Mozilla 1.6 Mail. I would like to backup my custom additions to
    > Mozilla Mail's spelI checker. I found the spell check dictionary, but
    > its time stamp suggests it hasn't my additions. Where does Mozilla
    > Mail keep these?

    It's in persdict.dat in your profile. See the release notes to find out
    where profiles on your OS are kept.

    Keith Bowes, Feb 1, 2004

  3. On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:35:27 -0500, Keith Bowes <>
    wrote:

    >carlton hunter wrote:
    >> I use Mozilla 1.6 Mail. I would like to backup my custom additions to
    >> Mozilla Mail's spelI checker. I found the spell check dictionary, but
    >> its time stamp suggests it hasn't my additions. Where does Mozilla
    >> Mail keep these?

    >It's in persdict.dat in your profile. See the release notes to find out
    >where profiles on your OS are kept.

    That sounded promising, but nowhere on my computer is there a file
    called that. I scanned my whole disk where Mozilla is installed for
    that file, but turned up nothing at all.

    anthony darden, Feb 2, 2004
  4. carlton hunter

    dantu Guest

    anthony darden wrote:

    >On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:35:27 -0500, Keith Bowes <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>carlton hunter wrote:
    >>

    >>>I use Mozilla 1.6 Mail. I would like to backup my custom additions to
    >>>Mozilla Mail's spelI checker. I found the spell check dictionary, but
    >>>its time stamp suggests it hasn't my additions. Where does Mozilla
    >>>Mail keep these?
    >>>

    >>It's in persdict.dat in your profile. See the release notes to find out
    >>where profiles on your OS are kept.
    >>

    >That sounded promising, but nowhere on my computer is there a file
    >called that. I scanned my whole disk where Mozilla is installed for
    >that file, but turned up nothing at all.

    Well, actually, the custom dictionary file is called... "Custom
    Dictionary"

    its in the profile folder for Mozilla, along with everything else.
    since you posted with Forte Agent, I presume you are using windows.

    Simply look in your profile for the Custom Dictionary file.

    dantu, Feb 3, 2004
  5. carlton hunter

    Ed Mullen Guest

    anthony darden wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:35:27 -0500, Keith Bowes <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>carlton hunter wrote:
    >>
    >>>I use Mozilla 1.6 Mail. I would like to backup my custom additions to
    >>>Mozilla Mail's spelI checker. I found the spell check dictionary, but
    >>>its time stamp suggests it hasn't my additions. Where does Mozilla
    >>>Mail keep these?

    >>It's in persdict.dat in your profile. See the release notes to find out
    >>where profiles on your OS are kept.

    > That sounded promising, but nowhere on my computer is there a file
    > called that. I scanned my whole disk where Mozilla is installed for
    > that file, but turned up nothing at all.

    And have you gone to Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder options - click
    the View tab - and make sure you can see Hidden Files and Folders?

    do that and try again.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 3, 2004
  6. On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 20:39:15 -0500, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:35:27 -0500, Keith Bowes <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>It's in persdict.dat in your profile. See the release notes to find out
    >>>where profiles on your OS are kept.

    >> That sounded promising, but nowhere on my computer is there a file
    >> called that. I scanned my whole disk where Mozilla is installed for
    >> that file, but turned up nothing at all.
    >>

    >And have you gone to Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder options - click
    >the View tab - and make sure you can see Hidden Files and Folders?
    >
    >do that and try again.

    I have verified that my Windows Explorer has "see hidden files and
    folders" selected. I found a likely sounding folder named C:\Program
    Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\defaults\profile\US , but its files are a
    folder named "chrome" and 5 other files, bookmarks.html,
    localstore.rdf, panels.rdf. mimeTypes.rdf, and search.rdf .

    I still cannot find the dictionary additions file. Any other thoughts?

    I searched my C: drive for "persdict" and "dictionary" as file names,
    but neither of them are anywhere on that disk

    anthony darden, Feb 5, 2004
  7. carlton hunter

    dantu Guest

    anthony darden wrote:

    >On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 20:39:15 -0500, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >>>That sounded promising, but nowhere on my computer is there a file
    >>>called that. I scanned my whole disk where Mozilla is installed for
    >>>that file, but turned up nothing at all.
    >>>

    >>And have you gone to Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder options - click
    >>the View tab - and make sure you can see Hidden Files and Folders?
    >>
    >>do that and try again.
    >>

    >I have verified that my Windows Explorer has "see hidden files and
    >folders" selected. I found a likely sounding folder named C:\Program
    >Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\defaults\profile\US , but its files are a
    >folder named "chrome" and 5 other files, bookmarks.html,
    >localstore.rdf, panels.rdf. mimeTypes.rdf, and search.rdf .
    >
    >I still cannot find the dictionary additions file. Any other thoughts?
    >
    >I searched my C: drive for "persdict" and "dictionary" as file names,
    >but neither of them are anywhere on that disk

    Why are you looking in the defaults directory? It wont be there, its not
    a default file, its a custom one.

    This is where your profiles are

    Windows

    On Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME (without log-in), the
    profile directory is typically
    C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User
    Profile]\[random string].slt\

    On Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows ME with log-in, the profile
    directory is typically
    C:\Windows\Profiles\[Log-in Name]\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\

    On Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the profile directory is typically
    C:\Documents and Settings\[Log-in Name]\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\

    Note: on Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the Document and Settings
    directory is hidden twice. To access the directory, enable Windows
    Explorer to view System and Hidden directories and files.

    If you look in the profiles, then you should find the file.

    dantu, Feb 6, 2004
  8. On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 05:20:52 GMT, dantu <> wrote:

    Thanks, dantu! I found the file! It appears that my XP search has a
    bug, because the file was there, but my XP's Start>search couldn't
    find it. I'll look for another file searcher, now!

    anthony darden, Feb 7, 2004
  9. anthony darden wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 05:20:52 GMT, dantu <> wrote:
    >
    > Thanks, dantu! I found the file! It appears that my XP search has a
    > bug, because the file was there, but my XP's Start>search couldn't
    > find it. I'll look for another file searcher, now!
    >

    >>anthony darden wrote:

    >>>I have verified that my Windows Explorer has "see hidden files and
    >>>folders" selected. I found a likely sounding folder named C:\Program
    >>>Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\defaults\profile\US , but its files are a
    >>>folder named "chrome" and 5 other files, bookmarks.html,
    >>>localstore.rdf, panels.rdf. mimeTypes.rdf, and search.rdf .
    >>>
    >>>I still cannot find the dictionary additions file. Any other thoughts?
    >>>
    >>>I searched my C: drive for "persdict" and "dictionary" as file names,
    >>>but neither of them are anywhere on that disk
    >>>

    >>Why are you looking in the defaults directory? It wont be there, its not
    >>a default file, its a custom one.
    >>
    >>This is where your profiles are
    >>
    >>Windows
    >>
    >> On Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME (without log-in), the
    >> profile directory is typically
    >> C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User
    >> Profile]\[random string].slt\
    >>
    >> On Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows ME with log-in, the profile
    >> directory is typically
    >> C:\Windows\Profiles\[Log-in Name]\Application
    >> Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\
    >>
    >> On Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the profile directory is typically
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\[Log-in Name]\Application
    >> Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\
    >>
    >> Note: on Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the Document and Settings
    >> directory is hidden twice. To access the directory, enable Windows
    >> Explorer to view System and Hidden directories and files.
    >>
    >>If you look in the profiles, then you should find the file.

    Make sure that XP is set to display hidden files and folders.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 7, 2004