Mozilla Preferences dialog is blank?!?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by djeaux, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. djeaux

    djeaux Guest

    Some time back I noticed that the left-hand menu list in the Preferences
    dialog box is blank in one of the 3 profiles I have set up in Mozilla.
    The problem began, I think, with Mozilla 1.6 & has continued through two
    upgrades to Mozilla 1.7.2. If I go to the other user profiles, the list
    is there; it's just empty in one profile.

    If it helps, this is a Win XP system.

    I posted to this group before & was advised to do a complete
    uninstall/reinstall cycle, but that seems like shooting tadpoles with a
    12-guage, since the pref list is there in the other profiles. Is there
    some file or config missing or corrupted?

    Currently, I clear my cache by just going to the Documents & Settings
    folder & deleting all the files under my profile, but that's getting
    old. Can't change anything else (easily) either.

    Any advise or suggestions as to what I might look for is appreciated.

    T.I.A.

    Joe
    --
    "Obviously, I'm not an IBM computer any more than I'm an ashtray."
    - Bob Dylan

    djeaux, Oct 12, 2004

  2. djeaux wrote:
    > Some time back I noticed that the left-hand menu list in the Preferences
    > dialog box is blank in one of the 3 profiles I have set up in Mozilla.
    > The problem began, I think, with Mozilla 1.6 & has continued through two
    > upgrades to Mozilla 1.7.2. If I go to the other user profiles, the list
    > is there; it's just empty in one profile.
    >
    > If it helps, this is a Win XP system.
    >
    > I posted to this group before & was advised to do a complete
    > uninstall/reinstall cycle, but that seems like shooting tadpoles with a
    > 12-guage, since the pref list is there in the other profiles. Is there
    > some file or config missing or corrupted?
    >
    > Currently, I clear my cache by just going to the Documents & Settings
    > folder & deleting all the files under my profile, but that's getting
    > old. Can't change anything else (easily) either.
    >
    > Any advise or suggestions as to what I might look for is appreciated.
    >

    > T.I.A.
    >
    > Joe

    The problem profile has either an incompatible extension, or theme. Its
    probably an extension, but try using one of the default themes anyway.

    If that doesn't solve it, you can try putting on the extension uninstaller:

    http://jgillick.nettripper.com/extuninstaller/

    Use this to uninstall extensions from the problem profile, one by one.

    Outdated versiions of Tab Browser Extensions have been know to cause
    this problem, so you might start with that.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 12, 2004

  3. djeaux

    djeaux Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > The problem profile has either an incompatible extension, or theme. Its
    > probably an extension, but try using one of the default themes anyway.

    After installing the extension uninstaller, I found four extensions (2
    of which were related to the uninstaller). The remaining two were
    Chatzilla & Themer.

    I tried reverting to both Classic & Modern themes but still had the
    empty prefs menu. Will now try uninstalling themes manually to see if
    that's the problem...

    Joe

    djeaux, Oct 12, 2004
  4. djeaux wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> The problem profile has either an incompatible extension, or theme.
    >> Its probably an extension, but try using one of the default themes
    >> anyway.

    > After installing the extension uninstaller, I found four extensions (2
    > of which were related to the uninstaller). The remaining two were
    > Chatzilla & Themer.
    >
    > I tried reverting to both Classic & Modern themes but still had the
    > empty prefs menu. Will now try uninstalling themes manually to see if
    > that's the problem...
    >

    > Joe

    My money is on Themer.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 12, 2004
  5. djeaux

    djeaux Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > My money is on Themer.

    The uninstall failed. Some file could not be located. So I took all the
    theme files out of /chrome/ & copied chrome.rdf & user-skins.rdf from
    one of the "good" profiles into my /chrome/ folder. (Don't ask why I
    picked those files; they just looked logical.)

    BINGO. Menu is back.

    Of course, all my themes are gone. And so is the extension unintaller.
    Hmmm... Weird. Oh well...

    Thanks for the help.

    Joe

    djeaux, Oct 12, 2004
  6. djeaux wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >

    >> My money is on Themer.

    > The uninstall failed. Some file could not be located. So I took all the
    > theme files out of /chrome/ & copied chrome.rdf & user-skins.rdf from
    > one of the "good" profiles into my /chrome/ folder. (Don't ask why I
    > picked those files; they just looked logical.)
    >
    > BINGO. Menu is back.
    >
    > Of course, all my themes are gone. And so is the extension unintaller.
    > Hmmm... Weird. Oh well...
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    >

    > Joe

    Just deleting the chrome directory form you profile would have done the
    same thing. That would have been my next suggestion. Well, as long as
    its working.

    When you reinstall themes and extensions, just make sure you have up to
    date versions.

    LEE

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 12, 2004
  7. djeaux

    djeaux Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > When you reinstall themes and extensions, just make sure you have up to
    > date versions.

    Gotcha.

    I seem to disremember getting a theme from MozDev a while back (maybe in
    1.5) that choked when I tried to switch to it after a version upgrade.
    Maybe that was it?

    Thanks again!

    Joe

    djeaux, Oct 12, 2004
  8. djeaux wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >

    >> When you reinstall themes and extensions, just make sure you have up
    >> to date versions.

    > Gotcha.
    >
    > I seem to disremember getting a theme from MozDev a while back (maybe in
    > 1.5) that choked when I tried to switch to it after a version upgrade.
    > Maybe that was it?
    >
    > Thanks again!
    >

    > Joe

    When re-installing, do them one at a time, so you can find which is the
    problem one.

    Andreas

    Pooh Ba -- As in the The International Order of Water Buffalos, and the
    Loyal Order of Racoons.

    To contact me remove the other name for "Canned Meat"

    Andreas, His Excellency, The Imperial Grand Pooh-B, Oct 12, 2004