    out here.

    Mainly curiousity cause, so far, I haven't found anything I wanted to do
    that I couldn't do. Thanks Doug

    Doug Chadduck, Dec 2, 2005

  2. Doug Chadduck wrote:

    > Finally broke down a couple weeks ago and downloaded Firefox and
    > Thunderbird. Newbie and pleased to be here. Guess the only reason I
    > waited so long is I had to do it on a machine that didn't go on the
    > internet very often. Mainly used for photos and music. But, movin' on up.
    >
    > Now I see there is a Mozilla Suite I was not aware of. Is there anything
    > in the suite that would make it worthwhile redoing things and going that
    > route? Or is the whole only as good as the parts I've already got?
    > Sometimes when I read all the selling info and site info it just starts
    > to sound like bleh bleh bleh. So thought I'd see what thoughts might be
    > out here.
    >
    > Mainly curiousity cause, so far, I haven't found anything I wanted to do
    > that I couldn't do. Thanks Doug

    Differences between the suite and Firefox/Thunderbird
    http://ilias.ca/MozillavsFirefox.html

    Its all about choice.
    You can go with the suite (Mozilla) or choose Firefox and any other
    email program, or go with Thunderbird, and your choice of browser. You
    can mix and match to get exactly what you want.

    Suite development has been stopped by Mozilla.org directly, but has been
    taken up by a private group under the name of SeaMonkey, so further
    updates will be forthcoming.

    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 2, 2005

  3. Doug Chadduck

    gwtc Guest

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > Doug Chadduck wrote:
    >
    >>Finally broke down a couple weeks ago and downloaded Firefox and
    >>Thunderbird. Newbie and pleased to be here. Guess the only reason I
    >>waited so long is I had to do it on a machine that didn't go on the
    >>internet very often. Mainly used for photos and music. But, movin' on up.
    >>
    >>Now I see there is a Mozilla Suite I was not aware of. Is there anything
    >>in the suite that would make it worthwhile redoing things and going that
    >>route? Or is the whole only as good as the parts I've already got?
    >>Sometimes when I read all the selling info and site info it just starts
    >>to sound like bleh bleh bleh. So thought I'd see what thoughts might be
    >>out here.
    >>
    >>Mainly curiousity cause, so far, I haven't found anything I wanted to do
    >>that I couldn't do. Thanks Doug

    > Differences between the suite and Firefox/Thunderbird
    > http://ilias.ca/MozillavsFirefox.html
    >
    > Its all about choice.
    > You can go with the suite (Mozilla) or choose Firefox and any other
    > email program, or go with Thunderbird, and your choice of browser. You
    > can mix and match to get exactly what you want.
    >
    > Suite development has been stopped by Mozilla.org directly, but has been
    > taken up by a private group under the name of SeaMonkey, so further
    > updates will be forthcoming.

    I think that the biggest thing that Moz has over FF is the ability to
    have more than one bookmark file, and you can switch between them
    easily. I have several, three for my various business activities, one
    for my investments, one for all my bookmarklets, one for my geneology,
    one for misc stuff, and a few others.

    gwtc, Dec 2, 2005
  4. gwtc wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Doug Chadduck wrote:
    >>
    >>> Finally broke down a couple weeks ago and downloaded Firefox and
    >>> Thunderbird. Newbie and pleased to be here. Guess the only reason I
    >>> waited so long is I had to do it on a machine that didn't go on the
    >>> internet very often. Mainly used for photos and music. But, movin' on
    >>> up.
    >>>
    >>> Now I see there is a Mozilla Suite I was not aware of. Is there
    >>> anything in the suite that would make it worthwhile redoing things
    >>> and going that route? Or is the whole only as good as the parts I've
    >>> already got? Sometimes when I read all the selling info and site info
    >>> it just starts to sound like bleh bleh bleh. So thought I'd see what
    >>> thoughts might be out here.
    >>>
    >>> Mainly curiousity cause, so far, I haven't found anything I wanted to
    >>> do that I couldn't do. Thanks Doug

    >> Differences between the suite and Firefox/Thunderbird
    >> http://ilias.ca/MozillavsFirefox.html
    >>
    >> Its all about choice.
    >> You can go with the suite (Mozilla) or choose Firefox and any other
    >> email program, or go with Thunderbird, and your choice of browser. You
    >> can mix and match to get exactly what you want.
    >>
    >> Suite development has been stopped by Mozilla.org directly, but has
    >> been taken up by a private group under the name of SeaMonkey, so
    >> further updates will be forthcoming.

    > I think that the biggest thing that Moz has over FF is the ability to
    > have more than one bookmark file, and you can switch between them
    > easily. I have several, three for my various business activities, one
    > for my investments, one for all my bookmarklets, one for my geneology,
    > one for misc stuff, and a few others.

    There are pros and cons for each product, as I said, its about choice
    and whatever 'does the job' best for you and the way you operate.

    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 2, 2005
  5. Doug Chadduck

    Charani Guest

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:37:38 -0800, Doug Chadduck wrote:

    > Now I see there is a Mozilla Suite I was not aware of. Is there anything
    > in the suite that would make it worthwhile redoing things and going that
    > route? Or is the whole only as good as the parts I've already got?
    > Sometimes when I read all the selling info and site info it just starts
    > to sound like bleh bleh bleh. So thought I'd see what thoughts might be
    > out here.

    The only thing that Mozilla Suite has which isn't available (AFAIK) in
    the component parts is Composer which is used for making web pages. I
    can use that where I find others impossible to use.

    Charani, Dec 2, 2005
  6. Doug Chadduck

    Larry Hazel Guest

    Charani wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:37:38 -0800, Doug Chadduck wrote:
    >

    >>Now I see there is a Mozilla Suite I was not aware of. Is there anything
    >>in the suite that would make it worthwhile redoing things and going that
    >>route? Or is the whole only as good as the parts I've already got?
    >>Sometimes when I read all the selling info and site info it just starts
    >>to sound like bleh bleh bleh. So thought I'd see what thoughts might be
    >>out here.

    > The only thing that Mozilla Suite has which isn't available (AFAIK) in
    > the component parts is Composer which is used for making web pages. I
    > can use that where I find others impossible to use.

    Also, you must bring up TB to check for email or leave TB running all
    the time. I wish Firefox would periodically check for new email.

    Larry Hazel, Dec 2, 2005
  7. Doug Chadduck

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Larry Hazel* wrote:

    > Charani wrote:
    >> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:37:38 -0800, Doug Chadduck wrote:
    >>

    >>>Now I see there is a Mozilla Suite I was not aware of. Is there anything
    >>>in the suite that would make it worthwhile redoing things and going that
    >>>route? Or is the whole only as good as the parts I've already got?
    >>>Sometimes when I read all the selling info and site info it just starts
    >>>to sound like bleh bleh bleh. So thought I'd see what thoughts might be
    >>>out here.

    >> The only thing that Mozilla Suite has which isn't available (AFAIK) in
    >> the component parts is Composer which is used for making web pages. I
    >> can use that where I find others impossible to use.

    > Also, you must bring up TB to check for email or leave TB running all
    > the time. I wish Firefox would periodically check for new email.

    Firefox is only a browser, so how could it check for new mail? :)

    That's just one of many reasons I prefer Mozilla Suite over Ff/Tb. When
    the browser is open, the mail app is also running in the background (and
    vice versa) and can check for new mail, and give an "alert icon" when
    new mail arrives. But I can also open the the mail app separately if I
    wish to do so. However, most of the time I have both open anyway. :)

    --
    /Arne

    * How to quote: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html#toc2
    * From Google: http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

    Arne, Dec 2, 2005
  8. Doug Chadduck

    gwtc Guest

    Larry Hazel wrote:

    > Charani wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:37:38 -0800, Doug Chadduck wrote:
    >>

    >>>Now I see there is a Mozilla Suite I was not aware of. Is there anything
    >>>in the suite that would make it worthwhile redoing things and going that
    >>>route? Or is the whole only as good as the parts I've already got?
    >>>Sometimes when I read all the selling info and site info it just starts
    >>>to sound like bleh bleh bleh. So thought I'd see what thoughts might be
    >>>out here.

    >>The only thing that Mozilla Suite has which isn't available (AFAIK) in
    >>the component parts is Composer which is used for making web pages. I
    >>can use that where I find others impossible to use.

    > Also, you must bring up TB to check for email or leave TB running all
    > the time. I wish Firefox would periodically check for new email.

    How can FF check for mail when its a browser only.

    gwtc, Dec 2, 2005
  9. Doug Chadduck

    Larry Hazel Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Larry Hazel wrote:
    >
    >> Charani wrote:

    >>> The only thing that Mozilla Suite has which isn't available (AFAIK) in
    >>> the component parts is Composer which is used for making web pages. I
    >>> can use that where I find others impossible to use.

    >> Also, you must bring up TB to check for email or leave TB running all
    >> the time. I wish Firefox would periodically check for new email.

    > How can FF check for mail when its a browser only.

    It would take a bit of extra code, but shouldn't be too difficult.
    Especially if TB is the mail client. It just needs to check if there is
    any. It wouldn't need to process the mail in any way.

    Larry Hazel, Dec 2, 2005
  10. Doug Chadduck

    gwtc Guest

    Larry Hazel wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Larry Hazel wrote:

    >>>Also, you must bring up TB to check for email or leave TB running all
    >>>the time. I wish Firefox would periodically check for new email.

    >>How can FF check for mail when its a browser only.

    > It would take a bit of extra code, but shouldn't be too difficult.
    > Especially if TB is the mail client. It just needs to check if there is
    > any. It wouldn't need to process the mail in any way.

    if thats all it takes, then why don't you develop an extension for it?

    gwtc, Dec 2, 2005
  11. Doug Chadduck

    Jedi Fans Guest

    On 02/12/05 10:27, Charani scribbled:

    NVU is the continuation of the Composer <http://nvu.com/>

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    The Force Is With Me, SUSE Linux 10.0, Mozilla Firefox 1.5 RC2,

    Jedi Fans, Dec 2, 2005
  12. Doug Chadduck

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:54:55 -0600, in message
     <37_jf.12$>, Larry Hazel wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    > > Larry Hazel wrote:

    > >> Also, you must bring up TB to check for email or leave TB running all
    > >> the time. I wish Firefox would periodically check for new email.

    > > How can FF check for mail when its a browser only.

    > It would take a bit of extra code, but shouldn't be too difficult.
    > Especially if TB is the mail client. It just needs to check if there is
    > any. It wouldn't need to process the mail in any way.

    There are stand-alone notifiers which will do this.

    Use one of these. Then you won't even need Firefox running.

    Ralph Fox, Dec 2, 2005
  13. Doug Chadduck

    gwtc Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:54:55 -0600, in message
    > <37_jf.12$>, Larry Hazel wrote:

    >>gwtc wrote:

    >>>How can FF check for mail when its a browser only.

    >>It would take a bit of extra code, but shouldn't be too difficult.
    >>Especially if TB is the mail client. It just needs to check if there is
    >>any. It wouldn't need to process the mail in any way.

    > There are stand-alone notifiers which will do this.
    >
    > Use one of these. Then you won't even need Firefox running.

    how about recommending some and telling us where to get them. Thanks

    gwtc, Dec 2, 2005
  14. Doug Chadduck

    Larry Hazel Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Larry Hazel wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> How can FF check for mail when its a browser only.

    >> It would take a bit of extra code, but shouldn't be too difficult.
    >> Especially if TB is the mail client. It just needs to check if there
    >> is any. It wouldn't need to process the mail in any way.

    > if thats all it takes, then why don't you develop an extension for it?

    I try to stay above C level :)

    Larry Hazel, Dec 3, 2005
  15. gwtc wrote:
    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:54:55 -0600, in message
    >> <37_jf.12$>, Larry Hazel wrote:

    >>> It would take a bit of extra code, but shouldn't be too difficult.
    >>> Especially if TB is the mail client. It just needs to check if there
    >>> is any. It wouldn't need to process the mail in any way.

    >> There are stand-alone notifiers which will do this.
    >> Use one of these. Then you won't even need Firefox running.
    >>

    > how about recommending some and telling us where to get them. Thanks

    gwtc, you surely have heard me recommend Poptray before. ;)

    www.poptray.org

    It sits in the systray and checks mail on selected accounts at a user
    specified interval. It has a white/black list feature, and can also run
    custom filters to delete spam from the server before it even hits the
    inbox of your mail ap.

    I can't imagine email without it. The only drawback is its Windows only.
    I would love to learn of Mac and Linux equivalents.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 3, 2005
  16. gwtc wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> how about recommending some and telling us where to get them. Thanks

    >> gwtc, you surely have heard me recommend Poptray before. ;)
    >>
    >> www.poptray.org
    >>
    >> It sits in the systray and checks mail on selected accounts at a user
    >> specified interval. It has a white/black list feature, and can also
    >> run custom filters to delete spam from the server before it even hits
    >> the inbox of your mail ap.
    >>
    >> I can't imagine email without it. The only drawback is its Windows
    >> only. I would love to learn of Mac and Linux equivalents.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Yes, thanks Lee, but I wanted Fox to tell me about his.

    I am interested in that as well, particularly any that work on OSX or
    Linux.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 3, 2005
  17. Doug Chadduck

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc, Dec 3, 2005
  18. OP here

    Thanks for the discussion. Picked up a couple tips.
    It doesn't look like I'm missing anything I want by leaving things
    piecemeal. Only thing I could think of would be the ability to open FF
    from Thunderbird. Can hit "read mail" when I'm in FF, and that opens
    Thunderbird, but can only get to FF, from Thunderbird, if Ihave a URL in
    an e-mail etc. Else I have to open FF from scratch. Maybe 1.85 extra
    seconds of energy. Dang. Guess some things just have to be worked for.

    Grin Thanks

    Doug Chadduck, Dec 3, 2005
  19. Doug Chadduck

    gwtc Guest

    try: http://www.tucows.com/preview/304955,
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/203799,
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/217533,
    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/15/pakman/1948/com/checkinstall-1_5_3.html,

    gwtc, Dec 3, 2005
  20. Doug Chadduck

    Charani Guest

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 16:40:11 +0000, Jedi Fans strolled in and
    announced:

    > NVU is the continuation of the Composer <http://nvu.com/>

    Many thanks for that :))

    Charani, Dec 3, 2005