    hog and will cripple their system it will be so slow

    If they want to run Windows 95 they should only use Internet Explorer 4.0
    which will be compatible with practically all sites.
    Patrick Dunford, May 28, 2004

  2. Patrick Dunford

    macca Guest

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 17:44:01 +1200, Patrick Dunford <> wrote:
    > Someone posted here a week or two back about what browser they could use
    > on a Dx2/66 laptop running Windows 3.1
    >
    > And part of the advice given was install Windows 95, so they could run a
    > browser like Mozilla
    >
    > Now, I know from a Pentium 100 running 95 that Mozilla is a real resource
    > hog and will cripple their system it will be so slow
    >
    > If they want to run Windows 95 they should only use Internet Explorer 4.0
    > which will be compatible with practically all sites.

    Nahh still to klunky..A trimmed down Opera or Firefox does fine..
    macca
    macca, May 28, 2004

  3. Patrick Dunford

    Divine Guest

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 17:44:01 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > If they want to run Windows 95 they should only use Internet Explorer 4.0
    > which will be compatible with practically all sites.

    Excepting of course all sites making extensive use of CSS 1 and 2.

    Divine

    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
    but this old Queen wants a drink."
    Divine, May 28, 2004
  4. Patrick Dunford

    steve Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > Someone posted here a week or two back about what browser they could use
    > on a Dx2/66 laptop running Windows 3.1
    >
    > And part of the advice given was install Windows 95, so they could run a
    > browser like Mozilla
    >
    > Now, I know from a Pentium 100 running 95 that Mozilla is a real resource
    > hog and will cripple their system it will be so slow
    >
    > If they want to run Windows 95 they should only use Internet Explorer 4.0
    > which will be compatible with practically all sites.

    Or Netscape 4.08.
    steve, May 28, 2004
  5. Patrick Dunford

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 17:44:01 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > If they want to run Windows 95 they should only use Internet Explorer 4.0
    > which will be compatible with practically all sites.

    MSIE is well known to be not one of MS finest products!
    Gordon, May 28, 2004
  6. Patrick Dunford

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 17:44:01 +1200, in article
    <>, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > Someone posted here a week or two back about what browser they could use
    > on a Dx2/66 laptop running Windows 3.1
    >
    > And part of the advice given was install Windows 95, so they could run a
    > browser like Mozilla
    >
    > Now, I know from a Pentium 100 running 95 that Mozilla is a real resource
    > hog and will cripple their system it will be so slow

    Then use K-Meleon. http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

    K-Meleon uses Mozilla's "Gecko" rendering engine, but runs faster
    old older slower machines (it doesn't use Mozilla's XUL for UI
    elements like the main window, toolbar, menus and dialogs).

    Mozilla minimum hardware requirements are Pentium 233 MHz.
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/sysreq.html

    K-Meleon has lower minimum hardware requirements.
    http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=FAQ#install1

    > If they want to run Windows 95

    Huh? It's the "Pentium 100", not the "Windows 95", that causes Mozilla
    to run slow. See the Mozilla minimum requirements.

    > they should only use Internet Explorer 4.0
    > which will be compatible with practically all sites.

    There are other choices, not only Internet Explorer 4.0.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, May 28, 2004
  7. In article <pan.2004.05.28.07.55.37.213582@TRACKER>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 28 May 2004 17:44:01 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    > > If they want to run Windows 95 they should only use Internet Explorer 4.0
    > > which will be compatible with practically all sites.

    > Excepting of course all sites making extensive use of CSS 1 and 2.

    Hotmail? LOL
    Patrick Dunford, May 28, 2004
  8. In article <40b6f998$>, steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz
    says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > Someone posted here a week or two back about what browser they could use
    > > on a Dx2/66 laptop running Windows 3.1
    > >
    > > And part of the advice given was install Windows 95, so they could run a
    > > browser like Mozilla
    > >
    > > Now, I know from a Pentium 100 running 95 that Mozilla is a real resource
    > > hog and will cripple their system it will be so slow
    > >
    > > If they want to run Windows 95 they should only use Internet Explorer 4.0
    > > which will be compatible with practically all sites.

    > Or Netscape 4.08.

    Hogwash, I tried netscape 4.73 and it wouldn't even load some sites that
    I have had no trouble with on IE 4.

    It is well known that Netscape 4.x is a seriously crippled product.
    Patrick Dunford, May 28, 2004
  9. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 28 May 2004 17:44:01 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    > > If they want to run Windows 95 they should only use Internet Explorer 4.0
    > > which will be compatible with practically all sites.

    > MSIE is well known to be not one of MS finest products!

    IE 4 happens to be a lot faster and more efficient than Mozilla.

    The problems with Mozilla were recognised last year when Apple passed
    them over for their Safari browser. Mozilla is a bloated product.

    Firefox lacks the user configurability of Mozilla, it assumes too much.
    Patrick Dunford, May 28, 2004
  10. Patrick Dunford

    brundlefly Guest

    "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    message news:...

    > There are other choices, not only Internet Explorer 4.0.

    I've got MSIE 5.0 running on an old Deskpro 4000 P133 with 24MB. Win95B
    I don't remember any of the older browsers being any faster.
    brundlefly, May 28, 2004
  11. Patrick Dunford

    steve Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <40b6f998$>, steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz
    > says...
    >
    >>Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>
    >>>Someone posted here a week or two back about what browser they could use
    >>>on a Dx2/66 laptop running Windows 3.1
    >>>
    >>>And part of the advice given was install Windows 95, so they could run a
    >>>browser like Mozilla
    >>>
    >>>Now, I know from a Pentium 100 running 95 that Mozilla is a real resource
    >>>hog and will cripple their system it will be so slow
    >>>
    >>>If they want to run Windows 95 they should only use Internet Explorer 4.0
    >>>which will be compatible with practically all sites.

    >>Or Netscape 4.08.

    > Hogwash, I tried netscape 4.73 and it wouldn't even load some sites that
    > I have had no trouble with on IE 4.

    That was probably the case at the time.....given the way MS refused to
    implement agreed standards as agreed.

    > It is well known that Netscape 4.x is a seriously crippled product.

    It certainly could have been better.
    steve, May 28, 2004
  12. Patrick Dunford

    Steve Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>On Fri, 28 May 2004 17:44:01 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>

    >>>If they want to run Windows 95 they should only use Internet Explorer 4.0
    >>>which will be compatible with practically all sites.

    >>MSIE is well known to be not one of MS finest products!

    > IE 4 happens to be a lot faster and more efficient than Mozilla.
    >
    > The problems with Mozilla were recognised last year when Apple passed
    > them over for their Safari browser. Mozilla is a bloated product.

    That's fixed in 1.6 and ( even more so ) 1.7, which is not yet final.
    They load much faster than 1.4 and 1.5.

    Steve

    Steve, May 28, 2004
  13. Patrick Dunford

    Adam Warner Guest

    Hi Patrick Dunford,

    > If they want to run Windows 95 they should only use Internet Explorer
    > 4.0 which will be compatible with practically all sites.

    This is terrible advice. Internet Explorer 4.0 will be compatible with
    practically all browser hijacking sites.

    Regards,
    Adam
    Adam Warner, May 29, 2004
  14. In article <4jEtc.4378$>,
    says...

    > "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >

    > > There are other choices, not only Internet Explorer 4.0.
    > >

    > I've got MSIE 5.0 running on an old Deskpro 4000 P133 with 24MB. Win95B
    > I don't remember any of the older browsers being any faster.

    Mozilla will not run unless IE5.0 or later is installed. Both Mozilla and
    Firefox say 98 is needed, though i had no trouble running either on 95,
    but a big issue is that the JVM is not available for 95.
    Patrick Dunford, May 29, 2004
  15. Patrick Dunford

    GraB Guest

    >Mozilla will not run unless IE5.0 or later is installed.

    You sure? I installed 98SE with 98Lite and no IE, just Firefox, no
    trouble.
    GraB, May 29, 2004
  16. Patrick Dunford

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 19:49:25 +1200, in article
    <>, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > Mozilla will not run unless IE5.0 or later is installed.

    Totally incorrect. I run Mozilla on a Win98 box which has only IE4.0
    and has never had IE5.0 or later. I have all of Mozilla's functionality
    (including running Java applets and plug-ins).

    You have been badly misinformed.

    > Both Mozilla and
    > Firefox say 98 is needed,

    What is this "both ... say"? Where does _Mozilla_ (not Firefox) say this?

    • The "Mozilla 1.6 System Requirements" says that Windows 95 _is_ in
    the list of operating systems.
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/sysreq.html

    > though i had no trouble running either on 95,
    > but a big issue is that the JVM is not available for 95.

    Not completely true.

    • Sun's JRE version 1.3.1 _is_ available for 95
    (and it includes a Java plug-in for Mozilla).
    See http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/jre/install-windows.html

    • The latest (non-beta) JRE version 1.4.2 is not available for 95.
    See http://java.com/en/download/help/win95.jsp

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you;
    but if you really make them think, they'll hate you."
    Ralph Fox, May 29, 2004
  17. Patrick Dunford

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 22:15:15 +1200, in article
    <4jEtc.4378$>, brundlefly wrote:

    > > There are other choices, not only Internet Explorer 4.0.

    > I've got MSIE 5.0 running on an old Deskpro 4000 P133 with 24MB. Win95B
    > I don't remember any of the older browsers being any faster.

    1. Why compare only against _older_ browsers?

    2. You haven't said which you mean by faster ...
    • Displays pages faster
    • Starts up faster

    I find that Gecko displays pages at least as fast as IE,
    if not faster.

    IE does start up faster (however, I'm not using 'QuickLaunch'
    with other browsers).

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Politicians are like diapers:
    they need to be changed often,
    and for the same reasons.
    Ralph Fox, May 29, 2004
  18. In article <>,
    says...
    > >Mozilla will not run unless IE5.0 or later is installed.

    > You sure? I installed 98SE with 98Lite and no IE, just Firefox, no
    > trouble.

    This is Windows 95
    Patrick Dunford, May 29, 2004
  19. In article <>,
    -echo.invalid says...
    > On Sat, 29 May 2004 19:49:25 +1200, in article
    > <>, Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    > > Mozilla will not run unless IE5.0 or later is installed.

    > Totally incorrect. I run Mozilla on a Win98 box which has only IE4.0

    This thread is about Windows 95.

    > and has never had IE5.0 or later. I have all of Mozilla's functionality
    > (including running Java applets and plug-ins).
    >
    > You have been badly misinformed.

    I KNOW THIS from my own experience of my Windows 95 computer on several
    installs of different Mozilla releases.
    Patrick Dunford, May 29, 2004
  20. Patrick Dunford

    MarkH Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > In article <>,
    > -echo.invalid says...
    >> On Sat, 29 May 2004 19:49:25 +1200, in article
    >> <>, Patrick Dunford
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Mozilla will not run unless IE5.0 or later is installed.

    >> Totally incorrect. I run Mozilla on a Win98 box which has only IE4.0

    > This thread is about Windows 95.

    I don’t know what you are smoking Patrick but it seems clears that someone
    that is apparently you said "Mozilla will not run unless IE5.0 or later is
    installed."

    box which didn’t have IE5.0 on it.

    Why did you then reply that the thread is about Win95? The title of the
    thread makes no mention of Win95! Your comment was not "Mozilla will not
    run on Win95 unless IE5.0 or later is installed."

    I just don't understand why you are trying to correct someone who is not
    wrong. When someone makes a valid point it makes no sense to try and
    pretend that he is wrong.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"