Mozilla not responding whem clicking on a link

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Johan, Jan 6, 2004.

  1. Johan

    Johan Guest

    Hi,

    I use Mozilla 1.6b and it works fine except one thing. On some pages
    Mozilla doesn't respond when I click on a link. This only happens on an
    secure page (https:\\...). The link is something like
    ....\page.html#ssl90. At first the problem didn't exist when I used Moz
    1.4, but for some reason it also doesn't work with Moz 1.4. I set the
    disk cache using off, but that didn't do the trick. Any suggestions?
    TIA

    Johan
     
    Johan, Jan 6, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Johan

    dantu Guest

    Johan wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I use Mozilla 1.6b and it works fine except one thing. On some pages
    > Mozilla doesn't respond when I click on a link. This only happens on
    > an secure page (https:\\...). The link is something like
    > ...\page.html#ssl90. At first the problem didn't exist when I used Moz
    > 1.4, but for some reason it also doesn't work with Moz 1.4. I set the
    > disk cache using off, but that didn't do the trick. Any suggestions?
    > TIA
    >
    > Johan


    Johan

    If you use an example of the page, perhaps we could be of
    more assistance. Please provide a complete url that can be tested to see
    if its a unique problem or not.
     
    dantu, Jan 6, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Johan

    Johan Guest

    dantu wrote:
    > Johan wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I use Mozilla 1.6b and it works fine except one thing. On some pages
    >> Mozilla doesn't respond when I click on a link. This only happens on
    >> an secure page (https:\\...). The link is something like
    >> ...\page.html#ssl90. At first the problem didn't exist when I used Moz
    >> 1.4, but for some reason it also doesn't work with Moz 1.4. I set the
    >> disk cache using off, but that didn't do the trick. Any suggestions?
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Johan

    >
    >
    > Johan
    >
    > If you use an example of the page, perhaps we could be of
    > more assistance. Please provide a complete url that can be tested to see
    > if its a unique problem or not.
    >


    Dantu, Thanks for Your reply.
    Unfortunately it is not possible to give you the complete URL for
    testing because it is an link on an secure page from my bank account ;-)
    You need to log in to see the links. Hopefully You can help me out
    without the actual link/site (The site is the Rabobank site
    www.rabobank.nl All the links on this site work except for the links on
    the secure part.) When You go to the site you get an message that the
    site is optimized for IE (grrr), so difficulties could be expected. I
    just think it's strange that it works in one version of Mozilla and not
    in an newer one. Maybe You can help me out. TIA

    Johan
     
    Johan, Jan 8, 2004
    #3
  4. Johan

    dantu Guest

    Johan wrote:

    > dantu wrote:
    >
    >> Johan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I use Mozilla 1.6b and it works fine except one thing. On some pages
    >>> Mozilla doesn't respond when I click on a link. This only happens on
    >>> an secure page (https:\\...). The link is something like
    >>> ...\page.html#ssl90. At first the problem didn't exist when I used
    >>> Moz 1.4, but for some reason it also doesn't work with Moz 1.4. I
    >>> set the disk cache using off, but that didn't do the trick. Any
    >>> suggestions?
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Johan

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Johan
    >>
    >> If you use an example of the page, perhaps we could be of
    >> more assistance. Please provide a complete url that can be tested to
    >> see if its a unique problem or not.
    >>

    >
    > Dantu, Thanks for Your reply.
    > Unfortunately it is not possible to give you the complete URL for
    > testing because it is an link on an secure page from my bank account
    > ;-) You need to log in to see the links. Hopefully You can help me out
    > without the actual link/site (The site is the Rabobank site
    > www.rabobank.nl All the links on this site work except for the links
    > on the secure part.) When You go to the site you get an message that
    > the site is optimized for IE (grrr), so difficulties could be
    > expected. I just think it's strange that it works in one version of
    > Mozilla and not in an newer one. Maybe You can help me out. TIA
    >
    > Johan


    Johan

    Its quite difficult to assess a problem I cant even see <g>.
    Without a specific page that re-creates the problem here, it will be
    almost impossible to determine what is wrong. It may be a site issue,
    or a page issue, or a version issue.

    Use of builds under development may occasion problems like
    this, simply because the site in question is very specific about browser
    identification. i.e. if there browser detect is limited to Mozilla 1.5
    or earlier, then 1.6 wouldnt work until they adjust their sniffer.
    For example, their browser sniffer may direct you to one
    page if you are using any Mozilla up to 1.5, but another page if you are
    using 1.6, simply because they have not accepted 1.6 for use as of yet.
    If this is the case, tho, the webmaster/author should be
    able to advise you what versions of Mozilla they do support. I wouldnt
    expect them to support anything beyond 1.5 at the moment, simply because
    1.6 is not in release yet.
     
    dantu, Jan 8, 2004
    #4
  5. Johan

    Johan Guest

    dantu wrote:
    > Johan wrote:
    >
    >> dantu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Johan wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Hi,
    >>>>
    >>>> I use Mozilla 1.6b and it works fine except one thing. On some pages
    >>>> Mozilla doesn't respond when I click on a link. This only happens on
    >>>> an secure page (https:\\...). The link is something like
    >>>> ...\page.html#ssl90. At first the problem didn't exist when I used
    >>>> Moz 1.4, but for some reason it also doesn't work with Moz 1.4. I
    >>>> set the disk cache using off, but that didn't do the trick. Any
    >>>> suggestions?
    >>>> TIA
    >>>>
    >>>> Johan
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Johan
    >>>
    >>> If you use an example of the page, perhaps we could be of
    >>> more assistance. Please provide a complete url that can be tested to
    >>> see if its a unique problem or not.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Dantu, Thanks for Your reply.
    >> Unfortunately it is not possible to give you the complete URL for
    >> testing because it is an link on an secure page from my bank account
    >> ;-) You need to log in to see the links. Hopefully You can help me out
    >> without the actual link/site (The site is the Rabobank site
    >> www.rabobank.nl All the links on this site work except for the links
    >> on the secure part.) When You go to the site you get an message that
    >> the site is optimized for IE (grrr), so difficulties could be
    >> expected. I just think it's strange that it works in one version of
    >> Mozilla and not in an newer one. Maybe You can help me out. TIA
    >>
    >> Johan

    >
    >
    > Johan
    >
    > Its quite difficult to assess a problem I cant even see <g>.
    > Without a specific page that re-creates the problem here, it will be
    > almost impossible to determine what is wrong. It may be a site issue,
    > or a page issue, or a version issue.
    >
    > Use of builds under development may occasion problems like
    > this, simply because the site in question is very specific about browser
    > identification. i.e. if there browser detect is limited to Mozilla 1.5
    > or earlier, then 1.6 wouldnt work until they adjust their sniffer.
    > For example, their browser sniffer may direct you to one
    > page if you are using any Mozilla up to 1.5, but another page if you are
    > using 1.6, simply because they have not accepted 1.6 for use as of yet.
    > If this is the case, tho, the webmaster/author should be
    > able to advise you what versions of Mozilla they do support. I wouldnt
    > expect them to support anything beyond 1.5 at the moment, simply because
    > 1.6 is not in release yet.
    >

    Dantu
    I understand that it is difficult (maybe impossible) to give any advice
    without seeing the site. One thing I know for sure is that it should
    work. I have send an email to the webmaster and they responded that it
    should work when I adjusted some settings in Mozilla. I should disable
    disk cache so that the page is not loaded from my own harddisk, but from
    the server. I adjusted these settings but it doesn't work. It stopped
    working when I switched from 1.4 to 1.5a. The sniffer correctly
    identified my browser as Mozilla 1.5 and now 1.6 so that shouldn't be a
    problem. I also tried to trick the sniffer to let it think that my
    browser is IE but that didn't work either.
    Johan
     
    Johan, Jan 9, 2004
    #5
  6. Johan

    dantu Guest

    Johan wrote:

    > dantu wrote:
    >
    >> Johan wrote:
    >>
    >>> dantu wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Johan wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Hi,
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I use Mozilla 1.6b and it works fine except one thing. On some
    >>>>> pages Mozilla doesn't respond when I click on a link. This only
    >>>>> happens on an secure page (https:\\...). The link is something
    >>>>> like ...\page.html#ssl90. At first the problem didn't exist when I
    >>>>> used Moz 1.4, but for some reason it also doesn't work with Moz
    >>>>> 1.4. I set the disk cache using off, but that didn't do the trick.
    >>>>> Any suggestions?
    >>>>> TIA
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Johan
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Johan
    >>>>
    >>>> If you use an example of the page, perhaps we could be
    >>>> of more assistance. Please provide a complete url that can be
    >>>> tested to see if its a unique problem or not.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Dantu, Thanks for Your reply.
    >>> Unfortunately it is not possible to give you the complete URL for
    >>> testing because it is an link on an secure page from my bank account
    >>> ;-) You need to log in to see the links. Hopefully You can help me
    >>> out without the actual link/site (The site is the Rabobank site
    >>> www.rabobank.nl All the links on this site work except for the links
    >>> on the secure part.) When You go to the site you get an message that
    >>> the site is optimized for IE (grrr), so difficulties could be
    >>> expected. I just think it's strange that it works in one version of
    >>> Mozilla and not in an newer one. Maybe You can help me out. TIA
    >>>
    >>> Johan

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Johan
    >>
    >> Its quite difficult to assess a problem I cant even see
    >> <g>. Without a specific page that re-creates the problem here, it
    >> will be almost impossible to determine what is wrong. It may be a
    >> site issue, or a page issue, or a version issue.
    >>
    >> Use of builds under development may occasion problems
    >> like this, simply because the site in question is very specific about
    >> browser identification. i.e. if there browser detect is limited to
    >> Mozilla 1.5 or earlier, then 1.6 wouldnt work until they adjust their
    >> sniffer.
    >> For example, their browser sniffer may direct you to one
    >> page if you are using any Mozilla up to 1.5, but another page if you
    >> are using 1.6, simply because they have not accepted 1.6 for use as
    >> of yet.
    >> If this is the case, tho, the webmaster/author should be
    >> able to advise you what versions of Mozilla they do support. I
    >> wouldnt expect them to support anything beyond 1.5 at the moment,
    >> simply because 1.6 is not in release yet.
    >>

    > Dantu
    > I understand that it is difficult (maybe impossible) to give any
    > advice without seeing the site. One thing I know for sure is that it
    > should work. I have send an email to the webmaster and they responded
    > that it should work when I adjusted some settings in Mozilla. I should
    > disable disk cache so that the page is not loaded from my own
    > harddisk, but from the server. I adjusted these settings but it
    > doesn't work. It stopped working when I switched from 1.4 to 1.5a. The
    > sniffer correctly identified my browser as Mozilla 1.5 and now 1.6 so
    > that shouldn't be a problem. I also tried to trick the sniffer to let
    > it think that my browser is IE but that didn't work either.
    > Johan


    Johan

    But its not important what the page 'recognizes' your browser
    as... as for identification, all it does is repeat the UA string back at
    you, so of course it correctly identifies your browser.
    What IS important is what their specific browser sniffer
    coding says... if IT has not been updated to 'accept' 1.6, it wont.

    You say the problem first occurred when you switched from
    1.4 to 1.5a... again, 1.5a was NOT a 'release' version, it was a
    development version. Many websites, especially financial ones, will NOT
    accept any other versions other than the ones they have 'vetted', and
    they wont vet (or test for security with their system) anything else
    than 'release' versions.

    If you are going to be using Mozilla on financial sites,
    then I suggest you avoid development versions, and stick to the stable
    releases (and there may be some time lag between release and acceptance
    anyway). For now that means 1.5, or perhaps 1.4 or 1.4.1, depending on
    the site in question.

    For example, you say the site worked with 1.4. But if you
    back to that version and CHANGE the UA string to read say 1.4a or 1.7,
    then it wont work - same software, same program, you simply change the
    UA string
    For example, your current UA string is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98;
    nl-NL; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031208

    see the 1.6b ? That, and that alone, may be preventing it from working
    with the site. You could even change that to 1.4, and the site would
    probably work, proving its not the program, but the browser sniffer in use.
     
    dantu, Jan 9, 2004
    #6
  7. Johan

    Johan Guest

    dantu wrote:
    > Johan wrote:
    >
    >> dantu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Johan wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> dantu wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Johan wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Hi,
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> I use Mozilla 1.6b and it works fine except one thing. On some
    >>>>>> pages Mozilla doesn't respond when I click on a link. This only
    >>>>>> happens on an secure page (https:\\...). The link is something
    >>>>>> like ...\page.html#ssl90. At first the problem didn't exist when I
    >>>>>> used Moz 1.4, but for some reason it also doesn't work with Moz
    >>>>>> 1.4. I set the disk cache using off, but that didn't do the trick.
    >>>>>> Any suggestions?
    >>>>>> TIA
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Johan
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Johan
    >>>>>
    >>>>> If you use an example of the page, perhaps we could be
    >>>>> of more assistance. Please provide a complete url that can be
    >>>>> tested to see if its a unique problem or not.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Dantu, Thanks for Your reply.
    >>>> Unfortunately it is not possible to give you the complete URL for
    >>>> testing because it is an link on an secure page from my bank account
    >>>> ;-) You need to log in to see the links. Hopefully You can help me
    >>>> out without the actual link/site (The site is the Rabobank site
    >>>> www.rabobank.nl All the links on this site work except for the links
    >>>> on the secure part.) When You go to the site you get an message that
    >>>> the site is optimized for IE (grrr), so difficulties could be
    >>>> expected. I just think it's strange that it works in one version of
    >>>> Mozilla and not in an newer one. Maybe You can help me out. TIA
    >>>>
    >>>> Johan
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Johan
    >>>
    >>> Its quite difficult to assess a problem I cant even see
    >>> <g>. Without a specific page that re-creates the problem here, it
    >>> will be almost impossible to determine what is wrong. It may be a
    >>> site issue, or a page issue, or a version issue.
    >>>
    >>> Use of builds under development may occasion problems
    >>> like this, simply because the site in question is very specific about
    >>> browser identification. i.e. if there browser detect is limited to
    >>> Mozilla 1.5 or earlier, then 1.6 wouldnt work until they adjust their
    >>> sniffer.
    >>> For example, their browser sniffer may direct you to one
    >>> page if you are using any Mozilla up to 1.5, but another page if you
    >>> are using 1.6, simply because they have not accepted 1.6 for use as
    >>> of yet.
    >>> If this is the case, tho, the webmaster/author should be
    >>> able to advise you what versions of Mozilla they do support. I
    >>> wouldnt expect them to support anything beyond 1.5 at the moment,
    >>> simply because 1.6 is not in release yet.
    >>>

    >> Dantu
    >> I understand that it is difficult (maybe impossible) to give any
    >> advice without seeing the site. One thing I know for sure is that it
    >> should work. I have send an email to the webmaster and they responded
    >> that it should work when I adjusted some settings in Mozilla. I should
    >> disable disk cache so that the page is not loaded from my own
    >> harddisk, but from the server. I adjusted these settings but it
    >> doesn't work. It stopped working when I switched from 1.4 to 1.5a. The
    >> sniffer correctly identified my browser as Mozilla 1.5 and now 1.6 so
    >> that shouldn't be a problem. I also tried to trick the sniffer to let
    >> it think that my browser is IE but that didn't work either.
    >> Johan

    >
    >
    > Johan
    >
    > But its not important what the page 'recognizes' your browser
    > as... as for identification, all it does is repeat the UA string back at
    > you, so of course it correctly identifies your browser.
    > What IS important is what their specific browser sniffer coding
    > says... if IT has not been updated to 'accept' 1.6, it wont.
    > You say the problem first occurred when you switched from 1.4
    > to 1.5a... again, 1.5a was NOT a 'release' version, it was a
    > development version. Many websites, especially financial ones, will NOT
    > accept any other versions other than the ones they have 'vetted', and
    > they wont vet (or test for security with their system) anything else
    > than 'release' versions.
    >
    > If you are going to be using Mozilla on financial sites, then
    > I suggest you avoid development versions, and stick to the stable
    > releases (and there may be some time lag between release and acceptance
    > anyway). For now that means 1.5, or perhaps 1.4 or 1.4.1, depending on
    > the site in question.
    >
    > For example, you say the site worked with 1.4. But if you
    > back to that version and CHANGE the UA string to read say 1.4a or 1.7,
    > then it wont work - same software, same program, you simply change the
    > UA string
    > For example, your current UA string is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98;
    > nl-NL; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031208
    >
    > see the 1.6b ? That, and that alone, may be preventing it from working
    > with the site. You could even change that to 1.4, and the site would
    > probably work, proving its not the program, but the browser sniffer in use.
    >

    Dantu
    I switched back to 1.4.1 and made an clean install and now it works
    fine. Thanks al lot for your time and help!
    Johan
     
    Johan, Jan 9, 2004
    #7
  8. Johan

    dantu Guest

    Johan wrote:

    > dantu wrote:
    >
    >> Johan wrote:
    >>
    >>> dantu wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Johan wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> dantu wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Johan wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Hi,
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> I use Mozilla 1.6b and it works fine except one thing. On some
    >>>>>>> pages Mozilla doesn't respond when I click on a link. This only
    >>>>>>> happens on an secure page (https:\\...). The link is something
    >>>>>>> like ...\page.html#ssl90. At first the problem didn't exist when
    >>>>>>> I used Moz 1.4, but for some reason it also doesn't work with
    >>>>>>> Moz 1.4. I set the disk cache using off, but that didn't do the
    >>>>>>> trick. Any suggestions?
    >>>>>>> TIA
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Johan
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Johan
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> If you use an example of the page, perhaps we could be
    >>>>>> of more assistance. Please provide a complete url that can be
    >>>>>> tested to see if its a unique problem or not.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Dantu, Thanks for Your reply.
    >>>>> Unfortunately it is not possible to give you the complete URL for
    >>>>> testing because it is an link on an secure page from my bank
    >>>>> account ;-) You need to log in to see the links. Hopefully You can
    >>>>> help me out without the actual link/site (The site is the Rabobank
    >>>>> site www.rabobank.nl All the links on this site work except for
    >>>>> the links on the secure part.) When You go to the site you get an
    >>>>> message that the site is optimized for IE (grrr), so difficulties
    >>>>> could be expected. I just think it's strange that it works in one
    >>>>> version of Mozilla and not in an newer one. Maybe You can help me
    >>>>> out. TIA
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Johan
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Johan
    >>>>
    >>>> Its quite difficult to assess a problem I cant even see
    >>>> <g>. Without a specific page that re-creates the problem here, it
    >>>> will be almost impossible to determine what is wrong. It may be a
    >>>> site issue, or a page issue, or a version issue.
    >>>>
    >>>> Use of builds under development may occasion problems
    >>>> like this, simply because the site in question is very specific
    >>>> about browser identification. i.e. if there browser detect is
    >>>> limited to Mozilla 1.5 or earlier, then 1.6 wouldnt work until they
    >>>> adjust their sniffer.
    >>>> For example, their browser sniffer may direct you to
    >>>> one page if you are using any Mozilla up to 1.5, but another page
    >>>> if you are using 1.6, simply because they have not accepted 1.6 for
    >>>> use as of yet.
    >>>> If this is the case, tho, the webmaster/author should
    >>>> be able to advise you what versions of Mozilla they do support. I
    >>>> wouldnt expect them to support anything beyond 1.5 at the moment,
    >>>> simply because 1.6 is not in release yet.
    >>>>
    >>> Dantu
    >>> I understand that it is difficult (maybe impossible) to give any
    >>> advice without seeing the site. One thing I know for sure is that it
    >>> should work. I have send an email to the webmaster and they
    >>> responded that it should work when I adjusted some settings in
    >>> Mozilla. I should disable disk cache so that the page is not loaded
    >>> from my own harddisk, but from the server. I adjusted these settings
    >>> but it doesn't work. It stopped working when I switched from 1.4 to
    >>> 1.5a. The sniffer correctly identified my browser as Mozilla 1.5 and
    >>> now 1.6 so that shouldn't be a problem. I also tried to trick the
    >>> sniffer to let it think that my browser is IE but that didn't work
    >>> either.
    >>> Johan

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Johan
    >>
    >> But its not important what the page 'recognizes' your
    >> browser as... as for identification, all it does is repeat the UA
    >> string back at you, so of course it correctly identifies your browser.
    >> What IS important is what their specific browser sniffer
    >> coding says... if IT has not been updated to 'accept' 1.6, it wont.
    >> You say the problem first occurred when you switched from
    >> 1.4 to 1.5a... again, 1.5a was NOT a 'release' version, it was a
    >> development version. Many websites, especially financial ones, will
    >> NOT accept any other versions other than the ones they have 'vetted',
    >> and they wont vet (or test for security with their system) anything
    >> else than 'release' versions.
    >>
    >> If you are going to be using Mozilla on financial sites,
    >> then I suggest you avoid development versions, and stick to the
    >> stable releases (and there may be some time lag between release and
    >> acceptance anyway). For now that means 1.5, or perhaps 1.4 or
    >> 1.4.1, depending on the site in question.
    >>
    >> For example, you say the site worked with 1.4. But if you
    >> back to that version and CHANGE the UA string to read say 1.4a or
    >> 1.7, then it wont work - same software, same program, you simply
    >> change the UA string
    >> For example, your current UA string is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U;
    >> Win98; nl-NL; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031208
    >>
    >> see the 1.6b ? That, and that alone, may be preventing it from
    >> working with the site. You could even change that to 1.4, and the
    >> site would probably work, proving its not the program, but the
    >> browser sniffer in use.
    >>

    > Dantu
    > I switched back to 1.4.1 and made an clean install and now it works
    > fine. Thanks al lot for your time and help!
    > Johan
    >

    Johan

    I'm willing to bet that if you went to 1.6 and changed the UA
    string to read the same as 1.4.1, then it would work as well.
     
    dantu, Jan 9, 2004
    #8
  9. Johan

    Johan Guest

    dantu wrote:
    > Johan wrote:
    >
    >> dantu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Johan wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> dantu wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Johan wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> dantu wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Johan wrote:
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> Hi,
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> I use Mozilla 1.6b and it works fine except one thing. On some
    >>>>>>>> pages Mozilla doesn't respond when I click on a link. This only
    >>>>>>>> happens on an secure page (https:\\...). The link is something
    >>>>>>>> like ...\page.html#ssl90. At first the problem didn't exist when
    >>>>>>>> I used Moz 1.4, but for some reason it also doesn't work with
    >>>>>>>> Moz 1.4. I set the disk cache using off, but that didn't do the
    >>>>>>>> trick. Any suggestions?
    >>>>>>>> TIA
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> Johan
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Johan
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> If you use an example of the page, perhaps we could be
    >>>>>>> of more assistance. Please provide a complete url that can be
    >>>>>>> tested to see if its a unique problem or not.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Dantu, Thanks for Your reply.
    >>>>>> Unfortunately it is not possible to give you the complete URL for
    >>>>>> testing because it is an link on an secure page from my bank
    >>>>>> account ;-) You need to log in to see the links. Hopefully You can
    >>>>>> help me out without the actual link/site (The site is the Rabobank
    >>>>>> site www.rabobank.nl All the links on this site work except for
    >>>>>> the links on the secure part.) When You go to the site you get an
    >>>>>> message that the site is optimized for IE (grrr), so difficulties
    >>>>>> could be expected. I just think it's strange that it works in one
    >>>>>> version of Mozilla and not in an newer one. Maybe You can help me
    >>>>>> out. TIA
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Johan
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Johan
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Its quite difficult to assess a problem I cant even see
    >>>>> <g>. Without a specific page that re-creates the problem here, it
    >>>>> will be almost impossible to determine what is wrong. It may be a
    >>>>> site issue, or a page issue, or a version issue.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Use of builds under development may occasion problems
    >>>>> like this, simply because the site in question is very specific
    >>>>> about browser identification. i.e. if there browser detect is
    >>>>> limited to Mozilla 1.5 or earlier, then 1.6 wouldnt work until they
    >>>>> adjust their sniffer.
    >>>>> For example, their browser sniffer may direct you to
    >>>>> one page if you are using any Mozilla up to 1.5, but another page
    >>>>> if you are using 1.6, simply because they have not accepted 1.6 for
    >>>>> use as of yet.
    >>>>> If this is the case, tho, the webmaster/author should
    >>>>> be able to advise you what versions of Mozilla they do support. I
    >>>>> wouldnt expect them to support anything beyond 1.5 at the moment,
    >>>>> simply because 1.6 is not in release yet.
    >>>>>
    >>>> Dantu
    >>>> I understand that it is difficult (maybe impossible) to give any
    >>>> advice without seeing the site. One thing I know for sure is that it
    >>>> should work. I have send an email to the webmaster and they
    >>>> responded that it should work when I adjusted some settings in
    >>>> Mozilla. I should disable disk cache so that the page is not loaded
    >>>> from my own harddisk, but from the server. I adjusted these settings
    >>>> but it doesn't work. It stopped working when I switched from 1.4 to
    >>>> 1.5a. The sniffer correctly identified my browser as Mozilla 1.5 and
    >>>> now 1.6 so that shouldn't be a problem. I also tried to trick the
    >>>> sniffer to let it think that my browser is IE but that didn't work
    >>>> either.
    >>>> Johan
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Johan
    >>>
    >>> But its not important what the page 'recognizes' your
    >>> browser as... as for identification, all it does is repeat the UA
    >>> string back at you, so of course it correctly identifies your browser.
    >>> What IS important is what their specific browser sniffer
    >>> coding says... if IT has not been updated to 'accept' 1.6, it wont.
    >>> You say the problem first occurred when you switched from
    >>> 1.4 to 1.5a... again, 1.5a was NOT a 'release' version, it was a
    >>> development version. Many websites, especially financial ones, will
    >>> NOT accept any other versions other than the ones they have 'vetted',
    >>> and they wont vet (or test for security with their system) anything
    >>> else than 'release' versions.
    >>>
    >>> If you are going to be using Mozilla on financial sites,
    >>> then I suggest you avoid development versions, and stick to the
    >>> stable releases (and there may be some time lag between release and
    >>> acceptance anyway). For now that means 1.5, or perhaps 1.4 or
    >>> 1.4.1, depending on the site in question.
    >>>
    >>> For example, you say the site worked with 1.4. But if you
    >>> back to that version and CHANGE the UA string to read say 1.4a or
    >>> 1.7, then it wont work - same software, same program, you simply
    >>> change the UA string
    >>> For example, your current UA string is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U;
    >>> Win98; nl-NL; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031208
    >>>
    >>> see the 1.6b ? That, and that alone, may be preventing it from
    >>> working with the site. You could even change that to 1.4, and the
    >>> site would probably work, proving its not the program, but the
    >>> browser sniffer in use.
    >>>

    >> Dantu
    >> I switched back to 1.4.1 and made an clean install and now it works
    >> fine. Thanks al lot for your time and help!
    >> Johan
    >>

    > Johan
    >
    > I'm willing to bet that if you went to 1.6 and changed the UA
    > string to read the same as 1.4.1, then it would work as well.
    >

    It's worth a try, but how do I change the string?
     
    Johan, Jan 9, 2004
    #9
  10. Johan

    Johan Guest

    Johan wrote:
    > dantu wrote:
    >
    >> Johan wrote:
    >>
    >>> dantu wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Johan wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> dantu wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Johan wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> dantu wrote:
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> Johan wrote:
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>> Hi,
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>> I use Mozilla 1.6b and it works fine except one thing. On some
    >>>>>>>>> pages Mozilla doesn't respond when I click on a link. This only
    >>>>>>>>> happens on an secure page (https:\\...). The link is something
    >>>>>>>>> like ...\page.html#ssl90. At first the problem didn't exist
    >>>>>>>>> when I used Moz 1.4, but for some reason it also doesn't work
    >>>>>>>>> with Moz 1.4. I set the disk cache using off, but that didn't
    >>>>>>>>> do the trick. Any suggestions?
    >>>>>>>>> TIA
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>> Johan
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> Johan
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> If you use an example of the page, perhaps we could
    >>>>>>>> be of more assistance. Please provide a complete url that can be
    >>>>>>>> tested to see if its a unique problem or not.
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Dantu, Thanks for Your reply.
    >>>>>>> Unfortunately it is not possible to give you the complete URL for
    >>>>>>> testing because it is an link on an secure page from my bank
    >>>>>>> account ;-) You need to log in to see the links. Hopefully You
    >>>>>>> can help me out without the actual link/site (The site is the
    >>>>>>> Rabobank site www.rabobank.nl All the links on this site work
    >>>>>>> except for the links on the secure part.) When You go to the site
    >>>>>>> you get an message that the site is optimized for IE (grrr), so
    >>>>>>> difficulties could be expected. I just think it's strange that it
    >>>>>>> works in one version of Mozilla and not in an newer one. Maybe
    >>>>>>> You can help me out. TIA
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Johan
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Johan
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Its quite difficult to assess a problem I cant even see
    >>>>>> <g>. Without a specific page that re-creates the problem here, it
    >>>>>> will be almost impossible to determine what is wrong. It may be a
    >>>>>> site issue, or a page issue, or a version issue.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Use of builds under development may occasion problems
    >>>>>> like this, simply because the site in question is very specific
    >>>>>> about browser identification. i.e. if there browser detect is
    >>>>>> limited to Mozilla 1.5 or earlier, then 1.6 wouldnt work until
    >>>>>> they adjust their sniffer.
    >>>>>> For example, their browser sniffer may direct you to
    >>>>>> one page if you are using any Mozilla up to 1.5, but another page
    >>>>>> if you are using 1.6, simply because they have not accepted 1.6
    >>>>>> for use as of yet.
    >>>>>> If this is the case, tho, the webmaster/author should
    >>>>>> be able to advise you what versions of Mozilla they do support. I
    >>>>>> wouldnt expect them to support anything beyond 1.5 at the moment,
    >>>>>> simply because 1.6 is not in release yet.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> Dantu
    >>>>> I understand that it is difficult (maybe impossible) to give any
    >>>>> advice without seeing the site. One thing I know for sure is that
    >>>>> it should work. I have send an email to the webmaster and they
    >>>>> responded that it should work when I adjusted some settings in
    >>>>> Mozilla. I should disable disk cache so that the page is not loaded
    >>>>> from my own harddisk, but from the server. I adjusted these
    >>>>> settings but it doesn't work. It stopped working when I switched
    >>>>> from 1.4 to 1.5a. The sniffer correctly identified my browser as
    >>>>> Mozilla 1.5 and now 1.6 so that shouldn't be a problem. I also
    >>>>> tried to trick the sniffer to let it think that my browser is IE
    >>>>> but that didn't work either.
    >>>>> Johan
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Johan
    >>>>
    >>>> But its not important what the page 'recognizes' your
    >>>> browser as... as for identification, all it does is repeat the UA
    >>>> string back at you, so of course it correctly identifies your browser.
    >>>> What IS important is what their specific browser sniffer
    >>>> coding says... if IT has not been updated to 'accept' 1.6, it wont.
    >>>> You say the problem first occurred when you switched from
    >>>> 1.4 to 1.5a... again, 1.5a was NOT a 'release' version, it was a
    >>>> development version. Many websites, especially financial ones, will
    >>>> NOT accept any other versions other than the ones they have
    >>>> 'vetted', and they wont vet (or test for security with their system)
    >>>> anything else than 'release' versions.
    >>>>
    >>>> If you are going to be using Mozilla on financial sites,
    >>>> then I suggest you avoid development versions, and stick to the
    >>>> stable releases (and there may be some time lag between release and
    >>>> acceptance anyway). For now that means 1.5, or perhaps 1.4 or
    >>>> 1.4.1, depending on the site in question.
    >>>>
    >>>> For example, you say the site worked with 1.4. But if
    >>>> you back to that version and CHANGE the UA string to read say 1.4a
    >>>> or 1.7, then it wont work - same software, same program, you simply
    >>>> change the UA string
    >>>> For example, your current UA string is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U;
    >>>> Win98; nl-NL; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031208
    >>>>
    >>>> see the 1.6b ? That, and that alone, may be preventing it from
    >>>> working with the site. You could even change that to 1.4, and the
    >>>> site would probably work, proving its not the program, but the
    >>>> browser sniffer in use.
    >>>>
    >>> Dantu
    >>> I switched back to 1.4.1 and made an clean install and now it works
    >>> fine. Thanks al lot for your time and help!
    >>> Johan
    >>>

    >> Johan
    >>
    >> I'm willing to bet that if you went to 1.6 and changed the UA
    >> string to read the same as 1.4.1, then it would work as well.
    >>

    > It's worth a try, but how do I change the string?
    >

    I installed 1.6b again and now it's working like a charm. Don't know why
    but I think it has to do with an extension I installed earlier. (for
    tabbedbrowsing) Well thanks a lot anyway.
    Johan
     
    Johan, Jan 9, 2004
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Cal Smith
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    647
    .BRIAN.
    Aug 11, 2004
  2. Henk Jol
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    925
    Moz Champion
    Jan 4, 2005
  3. coolchinchilla

    keep focus in TB when clicking email link?

    coolchinchilla, Mar 20, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,004
    Travis Evans
    Mar 21, 2005
  4. divoch

    Computer starts whem power lead plugged in

    divoch, May 16, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    590
    divoch
    May 17, 2006
  5. Ramya
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    696
    Ramya
    Feb 26, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page