    spam blocking, and security, I will never go back.

    TIA

    ~Adrian

    dryd(takethisout), Sep 4, 2004

  2. dryd(takethisout)

    Andreas Guest

    dryd(takethisout) wrote:

    > Hi all!
    >
    > Looks like a very active news group you have here <smile>.
    >
    > I would like to know how to use a (slightly) different email address for
    > newsgroups as opposed to email, and how to make my tag display the way I
    > want in newsgroups with mozilla 1.7.
    >
    > eg. dryd(takethisout)@bigpond.com for newsgroups, with the tag Adrian
    > and just for email. The "(takethisout)" does confuse
    > some people or they just somehow miss the meaning
    >
    > I knew how to do this in OE. Do I have to create a new identity, or is
    > there an easy way?
    >
    > I am still getting used to Mozilla and I do like it a lot better for
    > spam blocking, and security, I will never go back.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > ~Adrian

    Email address: Edit, Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings, choose the
    newsgroup that you are currently using, in the email address section,
    add or change to dryd(takethisout)@bigpond.com

    sig file: create a sig file either in text format or html format. Save
    it. Then from the same settings location as above, look for "Attach this
    Signature" (2nd from the bottom), check the box and find the file. Now
    you're set.

    Andreas

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM

    Andreas, Sep 4, 2004

  3. Andreas wrote:

    > dryd(takethisout) wrote:
    >

    >> Hi all!
    >>
    >> Looks like a very active news group you have here <smile>.
    >>
    >> I would like to know how to use a (slightly) different email address
    >> for newsgroups as opposed to email, and how to make my tag display the
    >> way I want in newsgroups with mozilla 1.7.
    >>
    >> eg. dryd(takethisout)@bigpond.com for newsgroups, with the tag Adrian
    >> and just for email. The "(takethisout)" does confuse
    >> some people or they just somehow miss the meaning
    >>
    >> I knew how to do this in OE. Do I have to create a new identity, or is
    >> there an easy way?
    >>
    >> I am still getting used to Mozilla and I do like it a lot better for
    >> spam blocking, and security, I will never go back.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> ~Adrian

    > Email address: Edit, Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings, choose the
    > newsgroup that you are currently using, in the email address section,
    > add or change to dryd(takethisout)@bigpond.com
    >
    > sig file: create a sig file either in text format or html format. Save
    > it. Then from the same settings location as above, look for "Attach this
    > Signature" (2nd from the bottom), check the box and find the file. Now
    > you're set.
    >
    > Andreas

    Thanks for the tips Andreas.

    I have tried changing the Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings around
    without much success. If you look at my tag (sender field) for this
    thread you will see what I am talking about, (Sorry I didn't make myself
    clear first time around), I would like this to say "Adrian", not
    "dryd(takethisout)". But I do want the "Reply To" field to say
    "dryd(takethisout)". (At the moment in this reply to your post my "Reply
    To" field says "takethisout <>". What I want it to say
    is "Adrian <<dryd(takethisout)@bigpond.com>

    But not when I send an email to someone. Then I just want my regular
    address.

    Sorry it all sounds so confusing. Maybe if I give my reasons for wanting
    this it will become clear.

    When I post to a newsgroup I want my email address to be hard for
    spamers using an automated email address harvesting program to get,
    hence the "(take this out)". (As you would probably have guessed).

    But when I send an email to one of my friends or say a business, then I
    want them to be able to just click "reply" and not have to stuff around
    changing my address.

    Thanks again.

    ~Adrian
    (Down Under)

    dryd(takethisout), Sep 4, 2004
  4. dryd(takethisout)

    Andreas Guest

    dryd(takethisout) wrote:

    > Andreas wrote:
    >
    >> dryd(takethisout) wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hi all!
    >>>
    >>> Looks like a very active news group you have here <smile>.
    >>>
    >>> I would like to know how to use a (slightly) different email address
    >>> for newsgroups as opposed to email, and how to make my tag display
    >>> the way I want in newsgroups with mozilla 1.7.
    >>>
    >>> eg. dryd(takethisout)@bigpond.com for newsgroups, with the tag Adrian
    >>> and just for email. The "(takethisout)" does confuse
    >>> some people or they just somehow miss the meaning
    >>>
    >>> I knew how to do this in OE. Do I have to create a new identity, or
    >>> is there an easy way?
    >>>
    >>> I am still getting used to Mozilla and I do like it a lot better for
    >>> spam blocking, and security, I will never go back.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> ~Adrian

    >> Email address: Edit, Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings, choose the
    >> newsgroup that you are currently using, in the email address section,
    >> add or change to dryd(takethisout)@bigpond.com
    >>
    >> sig file: create a sig file either in text format or html format.
    >> Save it. Then from the same settings location as above, look for
    >> "Attach this Signature" (2nd from the bottom), check the box and find
    >> the file. Now you're set.
    >>
    >> Andreas

    > Thanks for the tips Andreas.
    >
    > I have tried changing the Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings around
    > without much success. If you look at my tag (sender field) for this
    > thread you will see what I am talking about, (Sorry I didn't make myself
    > clear first time around), I would like this to say "Adrian", not
    > "dryd(takethisout)". But I do want the "Reply To" field to say
    > "dryd(takethisout)". (At the moment in this reply to your post my "Reply
    > To" field says "takethisout <>". What I want it to say
    > is "Adrian <<dryd(takethisout)@bigpond.com>
    >
    > But not when I send an email to someone. Then I just want my regular
    > address.
    >
    > Sorry it all sounds so confusing. Maybe if I give my reasons for wanting
    > this it will become clear.
    >
    > When I post to a newsgroup I want my email address to be hard for
    > spamers using an automated email address harvesting program to get,
    > hence the "(take this out)". (As you would probably have guessed).
    >
    > But when I send an email to one of my friends or say a business, then I
    > want them to be able to just click "reply" and not have to stuff around
    > changing my address.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > ~Adrian
    > (Down Under)

    First of all, you newsgroup email address account is separate from your
    regular addess account.

    Under Edit, Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings, you will see an account
    for your regular email address, and one for your newsgroup account.
    When you compose an email address, it will come from your email address
    account. When you compose a message for the newsgroup, it will come
    form the newsgroup account. Its the same address for both, but separate
    accounts for email and newsgroup. I hope that explains it.

    So, under your newsgroup account, where it says "Your Name" enter
    Adrian. Now everyone will see Adrain under From/Sender. Then under the
    email address enter dryd(takethisout)@bigpond.com. You don't need to
    enter anything for Reply-to Address if you don't want to because as I
    said, your email account is separate from your newsgroup account. This
    is what I have, take a look at it. If you want to put something in the
    Reply-to Address, then go ahead, but spam harvesters will also get those
    addresses.

    Andreas, Sep 4, 2004
  5. Andreas wrote:
    > dryd(takethisout) wrote:
    >
    >> Andreas wrote:

    >>> Email address: Edit, Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings, choose the
    >>> newsgroup that you are currently using, in the email address section,
    >>> add or change to dryd(takethisout)@bigpond.com
    >>>
    >>> sig file: create a sig file either in text format or html format.
    >>> Save it. Then from the same settings location as above, look for
    >>> "Attach this Signature" (2nd from the bottom), check the box and find
    >>> the file. Now you're set.
    >>>
    >>> Andreas

    >> Thanks for the tips Andreas.
    >>
    >> I have tried changing the Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings around
    >> without much success. If you look at my tag (sender field) for this
    >> thread you will see what I am talking about, (Sorry I didn't make
    >> myself clear first time around), I would like this to say "Adrian",
    >> not "dryd(takethisout)". But I do want the "Reply To" field to say
    >> "dryd(takethisout)". (At the moment in this reply to your post my
    >> "Reply To" field says "takethisout <>". What I want it
    >> to say is "Adrian <<dryd(takethisout)@bigpond.com>
    >>
    >> But not when I send an email to someone. Then I just want my regular
    >> address.
    >>
    >> Sorry it all sounds so confusing. Maybe if I give my reasons for
    >> wanting this it will become clear.
    >>
    >> When I post to a newsgroup I want my email address to be hard for
    >> spamers using an automated email address harvesting program to get,
    >> hence the "(take this out)". (As you would probably have guessed).
    >>
    >> But when I send an email to one of my friends or say a business, then
    >> I want them to be able to just click "reply" and not have to stuff
    >> around changing my address.
    >>
    >> Thanks again.
    >>
    >> ~Adrian
    >> (Down Under)

    > First of all, you newsgroup email address account is separate from your
    > regular addess account.
    >
    > Under Edit, Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings, you will see an account
    > for your regular email address, and one for your newsgroup account. When
    > you compose an email address, it will come from your email address
    > account. When you compose a message for the newsgroup, it will come
    > form the newsgroup account. Its the same address for both, but separate
    > accounts for email and newsgroup. I hope that explains it.
    >
    > So, under your newsgroup account, where it says "Your Name" enter
    > Adrian. Now everyone will see Adrain under From/Sender. Then under the
    > email address enter dryd(takethisout)@bigpond.com. You don't need to
    > enter anything for Reply-to Address if you don't want to because as I
    > said, your email account is separate from your newsgroup account. This
    > is what I have, take a look at it. If you want to put something in the
    > Reply-to Address, then go ahead, but spam harvesters will also get those
    > addresses.
    >
    > Andreas

    I get it Andreas. What I didn't realizes is that when you are in
    newsgroups you get a different "Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings" box
    than when in the inbox. The other thing was what the real difference
    between the two address fields. It seams obvious now.

    I did create a sig file too, just for the hell of it. I will add to it
    latter.

    Thanks again.

    ~Adrian

    dryd(takethisout), Sep 4, 2004
  6. Adrian wrote:

    >>> I still have not got the "sender" field right yet though.

    >>> I did do this. Any other tips?

    >> Not now, you've used up all my tips. I don't know what to suggest
    >> next and I don't know what the problem is? Thats what I have:
    >>
    >> Your Name: Adrian
    >> Email Address: dryd(takethisout)@bigpond.com
    >>
    >> and thats it. Nothing else. I don't even us the Reply-To Address
    >> setting.
    >>
    >> The only other suggestion would be to remove the newsgroup setting,
    >> and re-enter it.
    >>
    >> Are you entering Adrian in the Account Name area or Your Name area?
    >>
    >> Andreas

    > Oh no! no more tips! What am I going to do now? LOL!
    >
    > Well I stuffed around until I got something I am happy with anyway.
    >
    > In the Account Name area I have: news.bigpond.com
    >
    > In the Your Name area I have: Adrian
    >
    > In the Email Address area I now have:
    >
    > And in the Reply To area I now have: dryd@[takethisout]bigpond.com
    >
    > I am now using square brackets and putting it after the @ sign.
    >
    > Thanks for all your help Andreas. I really appreciate it.

    There is an ISP called nospam.com, they will be getting all your spam.
    I used it also at first and it was recommended that I use the word
    invalid somewhere in the isp name.

    graeme@invalid, Sep 4, 2004

    --
    ~Adrian

    dryd(takethisout), Sep 4, 2004
  8. dryd(takethisout)

    Andreas Guest

    Andreas, Sep 4, 2004
  9. dryd(takethisout)

    Adrian Guest

    >> I still have not got the "sender" field right yet though.

    >> I did do this. Any other tips?

    > Not now, you've used up all my tips. I don't know what to suggest next
    > and I don't know what the problem is? Thats what I have:
    >
    > Your Name: Adrian
    > Email Address: dryd(takethisout)@bigpond.com
    >
    > and thats it. Nothing else. I don't even us the Reply-To Address setting.
    >
    > The only other suggestion would be to remove the newsgroup setting, and
    > re-enter it.
    >
    > Are you entering Adrian in the Account Name area or Your Name area?
    >
    > Andreas

    Oh no! no more tips! What am I going to do now? LOL!

    Well I stuffed around until I got something I am happy with anyway.

    In the Account Name area I have: news.bigpond.com

    In the Your Name area I have: Adrian

    In the Email Address area I now have:

    And in the Reply To area I now have: dryd@[takethisout]bigpond.com

    I am now using square brackets and putting it after the @ sign.

    Thanks for all your help Andreas. I really appreciate it.

    --
    ~Adrian
    My home page:
    users.bigpond.com/dryd

    Adrian, Sep 4, 2004
  10. Arne wrote:
    > graeme@invalid skrev 2004-09-04 13:57:
    >

    >>There is an ISP called nospam.com, they will be getting all your spam.
    >>I used it also at first and it was recommended that I use the word
    >>invalid somewhere in the isp name.

    > Just a question about your opinion in this matter.
    > Is'nt the spam harvesters prepared about now to ignore words like
    > "invalid" and "nospam" in a fake address? Since it's very common to use
    > those words, I can imaging that they try to get around it. Or are they
    > not clever enough to do that :)

    The problem is that Nospam is an isp, invalid is not. If you do not use
    a valid address in newsgroups then they can't spam you.

    graeme@invalid, Sep 4, 2004
  11. dryd(takethisout)

    Arne Guest

    Arne, Sep 5, 2004
  12. dryd(takethisout)

    Tony Raven Guest

    graeme@invalid wrote:
    > Arne wrote:
    >
    >> graeme@invalid skrev 2004-09-04 13:57:
    >>

    >>> There is an ISP called nospam.com, they will be getting all your spam.
    >>> I used it also at first and it was recommended that I use the word
    >>> invalid somewhere in the isp name.

    >> Just a question about your opinion in this matter.
    >> Is'nt the spam harvesters prepared about now to ignore words like
    >> "invalid" and "nospam" in a fake address? Since it's very common to use
    >> those words, I can imaging that they try to get around it. Or are they
    >> not clever enough to do that :)
    >>

    > The problem is that Nospam is an isp, invalid is not. If you do not use
    > a valid address in newsgroups then they can't spam you.

    There are a number of options. One is to use a domain you own and have
    an address that goes straight to the bin at the server. The second is
    to use a throwaway address from e.g. Hotmail and the third is to make
    your address a .invalid one. e.g. lid

    RFC2606 provides .invalid specifically as an address that goes nowhere.

    " ".invalid" is intended for use in online construction of domain
    names that are sure to be invalid and which it is obvious at a
    glance are invalid."

    The problem with munging the address in other ways is you never know
    whether you have just used a valid domain name and created a SPAM
    problem for others.

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Sep 5, 2004
  13. dryd(takethisout)

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tony Raven, Sep 5, 2004
  14. dryd(takethisout)

    Arne Guest

    graeme@invalid skrev 2004-09-04 21:48:

    > Arne wrote:
    >> graeme@invalid skrev 2004-09-04 13:57:
    >>

    >>>There is an ISP called nospam.com, they will be getting all your spam.
    >>>I used it also at first and it was recommended that I use the word
    >>>invalid somewhere in the isp name.

    >> Just a question about your opinion in this matter.
    >> Is'nt the spam harvesters prepared about now to ignore words like
    >> "invalid" and "nospam" in a fake address? Since it's very common to use
    >> those words, I can imaging that they try to get around it. Or are they
    >> not clever enough to do that :)
    >>

    > The problem is that Nospam is an isp, invalid is not. If you do not use
    > a valid address in newsgroups then they can't spam you.

    I can understand that, and maybe I was unclear with my question.

    What I wondered about was if I use a faked address in the "sender"
    field, sutch as "" and the valid address
    is "", can't the spam harvesters remove the
    "INVALID" part of the address and get throu with the valid address?
    Assuming of cause my name is John Doe and the "somedomain.com" is my
    real ISP's domain name.

    I have notice that many posters in newsgroups use that method to hide
    their address, writing in the footer that "remove INVALID to mail me".
    I am using a totaly faked address () my self, since there
    is no sutch domain registered. BTW, "luras nu" is Swedish for "cheats
    now" :)

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Sep 5, 2004
  15. dryd(takethisout)

    Adrian Guest

    graeme@invalid wrote:

    >>> Not now, you've used up all my tips. I don't know what to suggest
    >>> next and I don't know what the problem is? Thats what I have:
    >>>
    >>> Your Name: Adrian
    >>> Email Address: dryd(takethisout)@bigpond.com
    >>>
    >>> and thats it. Nothing else. I don't even us the Reply-To Address
    >>> setting.
    >>>
    >>> The only other suggestion would be to remove the newsgroup setting,
    >>> and re-enter it.
    >>>
    >>> Are you entering Adrian in the Account Name area or Your Name area?
    >>>
    >>> Andreas

    >> Oh no! no more tips! What am I going to do now? LOL!
    >>
    >> Well I stuffed around until I got something I am happy with anyway.
    >>
    >> In the Account Name area I have: news.bigpond.com
    >>
    >> In the Your Name area I have: Adrian
    >>
    >> In the Email Address area I now have:
    >>
    >> And in the Reply To area I now have: dryd@[takethisout]bigpond.com
    >>
    >> I am now using square brackets and putting it after the @ sign.
    >>
    >> Thanks for all your help Andreas. I really appreciate it.
    >>

    > There is an ISP called nospam.com, they will be getting all your spam.
    > I used it also at first and it was recommended that I use the word
    > invalid somewhere in the isp name.

    Are now thats a good tip.
    Thanks

    --
    ~Adrian
    My home page:

    Adrian, Sep 5, 2004
  16. dryd(takethisout)

    Adrian Guest

    Arne wrote:

    > graeme@invalid skrev 2004-09-04 21:48:
    >

    >>Arne wrote:

    >>>Just a question about your opinion in this matter.
    >>>Is'nt the spam harvesters prepared about now to ignore words like
    >>>"invalid" and "nospam" in a fake address? Since it's very common to use
    >>>those words, I can imaging that they try to get around it. Or are they
    >>>not clever enough to do that :)
    >>>

    >>The problem is that Nospam is an isp, invalid is not. If you do not use
    >>a valid address in newsgroups then they can't spam you.

    > I can understand that, and maybe I was unclear with my question.
    >
    > What I wondered about was if I use a faked address in the "sender"
    > field, sutch as "" and the valid address
    > is "", can't the spam harvesters remove the
    > "INVALID" part of the address and get throu with the valid address?
    > Assuming of cause my name is John Doe and the "somedomain.com" is my
    > real ISP's domain name.
    >
    > I have notice that many posters in newsgroups use that method to hide
    > their address, writing in the footer that "remove INVALID to mail me".
    > I am using a totaly faked address () my self, since there
    > is no sutch domain registered. BTW, "luras nu" is Swedish for "cheats
    > now" :)

    That is a good question Arne. I guess they don't bother trying. The
    software they use is automated and there are something like 65k
    newsgroups. Only a small percentage of posters are savvy enough to mask
    their email address anyway.

    I once read an add by someone selling email addresses and they said that
    all their addresses were validated and not out of date. I think that was
    spam so who knows. I have to admit that I don't.

    Someone else here might though.

    Anyway, that's one more good reason to use Mozilla! LOL:)
    --
    ~Adrian
    My home page:

    Adrian, Sep 5, 2004
  17. dryd(takethisout)

    Arne Guest

    Adrian skrev 2004-09-05 15:22:
    > Arne wrote:
    >>
    >> I have notice that many posters in newsgroups use that method to hide
    >> their address, writing in the footer that "remove INVALID to mail me".
    >> I am using a totaly faked address () my self, since there
    >> is no sutch domain registered. BTW, "luras nu" is Swedish for "cheats
    >> now" :)
    >>

    > That is a good question Arne. I guess they don't bother trying. The
    > software they use is automated and there are something like 65k
    > newsgroups. Only a small percentage of posters are savvy enough to mask
    > their email address anyway.
    >
    > I once read an add by someone selling email addresses and they said that
    > all their addresses were validated and not out of date. I think that was
    > spam so who knows. I have to admit that I don't.

    So they maybee also is selling my fake address as "valid"! LOL

    Maybee if more people use my method, a lot of harvested addresses used
    by (and sold to other) spammers would be validated but not useful. :)

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Sep 5, 2004