    a compatability issue that has yet to be addressed.

    As I said, nothing crucial, but my girlfriend asked me about it and I
    do not have an answer. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    Michael B. Smith, Jul 21, 2004

  2. Michael B. Smith

    Moz Champion Guest

    Michael B. Smith wrote:

    > This by no means is a critical question, but I shall pose it anyway.
    >
    > While using Mozilla 1.7 to compose e-mail, with my settings allowing
    > for composing and sending in HTML format, I noticed that under the
    > INSERT tab there was an option to insert "smileys" into the e-mails.
    > When I send these to Yahoo or Hotmail accounts, they show up as text.
    > When I sent it to someone using Outlook as their client, they also
    > show up as text. It would seem that the smileys only work with the
    > Mozilla client. (Other HTML formatting, such as text and background
    > colors, show up just fine.)
    >
    > Is there another setting that needs to be adjusted, or is there simply
    > a compatability issue that has yet to be addressed.
    >
    > As I said, nothing crucial, but my girlfriend asked me about it and I
    > do not have an answer. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    Smileys are nothing more than interpretation

    IF the receiving program can 'see' smileys they will render specific
    keystrokes as smileys for example the colon and end bracket combination
    becomes
    :)
    (note if you have a 'smiley' capable program, and smileys enabled you
    will see the above as a smiley. If you dont, you will see the text
    representation.

    Irregardless that there is a 'smiley' menu in the HTML Editor, Smileys
    are NOT really HTML at all, but simply plain text. Its the program the
    recipient uses to read the message that determines whether or not they
    see a 'smiley' as a graphical representation or a textual one

    Its along the lines of
    http://this.is.not.a.link/but.looks.like.one
    and
    Mailto:

    The Smiley menu in the HTML Editor simply provides you with the
    graphical results of some emotions, so instead of remembering the key
    strokes to type, then, you can simply select one from the menu

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jul 21, 2004

  3. Michael B. Smith

    GFRfan Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > Michael B. Smith wrote:
    >
    >> This by no means is a critical question, but I shall pose it anyway.
    >>
    >> While using Mozilla 1.7 to compose e-mail, with my settings allowing
    >> for composing and sending in HTML format, I noticed that under the
    >> INSERT tab there was an option to insert "smileys" into the e-mails.
    >> When I send these to Yahoo or Hotmail accounts, they show up as text.
    >> When I sent it to someone using Outlook as their client, they also
    >> show up as text. It would seem that the smileys only work with the
    >> Mozilla client. (Other HTML formatting, such as text and background
    >> colors, show up just fine.)
    >>
    >> Is there another setting that needs to be adjusted, or is there simply
    >> a compatability issue that has yet to be addressed.
    >>
    >> As I said, nothing crucial, but my girlfriend asked me about it and I
    >> do not have an answer. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    >>

    > Smileys are nothing more than interpretation
    >
    > IF the receiving program can 'see' smileys they will render specific
    > keystrokes as smileys for example the colon and end bracket combination
    > becomes
    > :)
    > (note if you have a 'smiley' capable program, and smileys enabled you
    > will see the above as a smiley. If you dont, you will see the text
    > representation.
    >
    > Irregardless that there is a 'smiley' menu in the HTML Editor, Smileys
    > are NOT really HTML at all, but simply plain text. Its the program the
    > recipient uses to read the message that determines whether or not they
    > see a 'smiley' as a graphical representation or a textual one
    >
    > Its along the lines of
    > http://this.is.not.a.link/but.looks.like.one
    > and
    > Mailto:
    >
    > The Smiley menu in the HTML Editor simply provides you with the
    > graphical results of some emotions, so instead of remembering the key
    > strokes to type, then, you can simply select one from the menu

    In all the Netscape versions and in Mozilla 1.5 and 1.6 the smiley
    showed in the composer as a graphic. In 1.7 they show as text. Even
    smileys sent to me are in text when in previous versions they showed as
    graphics.

    GFRfan, Jul 22, 2004
  4. Michael B. Smith

    Moz Champion Guest

    GFRfan wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Michael B. Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> This by no means is a critical question, but I shall pose it anyway.
    >>>
    >>> While using Mozilla 1.7 to compose e-mail, with my settings allowing
    >>> for composing and sending in HTML format, I noticed that under the
    >>> INSERT tab there was an option to insert "smileys" into the e-mails.
    >>> When I send these to Yahoo or Hotmail accounts, they show up as text.
    >>> When I sent it to someone using Outlook as their client, they also
    >>> show up as text. It would seem that the smileys only work with the
    >>> Mozilla client. (Other HTML formatting, such as text and background
    >>> colors, show up just fine.)
    >>>
    >>> Is there another setting that needs to be adjusted, or is there simply
    >>> a compatability issue that has yet to be addressed.
    >>>
    >>> As I said, nothing crucial, but my girlfriend asked me about it and I
    >>> do not have an answer. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>

    >> Smileys are nothing more than interpretation
    >>
    >> IF the receiving program can 'see' smileys they will render specific
    >> keystrokes as smileys for example the colon and end bracket
    >> combination becomes
    >> :)
    >> (note if you have a 'smiley' capable program, and smileys enabled you
    >> will see the above as a smiley. If you dont, you will see the text
    >> representation.
    >>
    >> Irregardless that there is a 'smiley' menu in the HTML Editor, Smileys
    >> are NOT really HTML at all, but simply plain text. Its the program the
    >> recipient uses to read the message that determines whether or not they
    >> see a 'smiley' as a graphical representation or a textual one
    >>
    >> Its along the lines of
    >> http://this.is.not.a.link/but.looks.like.one
    >> and
    >> Mailto:
    >>
    >> The Smiley menu in the HTML Editor simply provides you with the
    >> graphical results of some emotions, so instead of remembering the key
    >> strokes to type, then, you can simply select one from the menu
    >>

    > In all the Netscape versions and in Mozilla 1.5 and 1.6 the smiley
    > showed in the composer as a graphic. In 1.7 they show as text. Even
    > smileys sent to me are in text when in previous versions they showed as
    > graphics.

    Enable them! <g>

    Mozilla-->Preferences-->Mail & Newsgroups-->Message Display

    X Display Emoticons as graphics

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jul 23, 2004
  5. Michael B. Smith

    GFRfan Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > GFRfan wrote:
    >
    >> Moz Champion wrote:

    >>> Smileys are nothing more than interpretation
    >>>
    >>> IF the receiving program can 'see' smileys they will render specific
    >>> keystrokes as smileys for example the colon and end bracket
    >>> combination becomes
    >>> :)
    >>> (note if you have a 'smiley' capable program, and smileys enabled
    >>> you will see the above as a smiley. If you dont, you will see the
    >>> text representation.
    >>>
    >>> Irregardless that there is a 'smiley' menu in the HTML Editor,
    >>> Smileys are NOT really HTML at all, but simply plain text. Its the
    >>> program the recipient uses to read the message that determines
    >>> whether or not they see a 'smiley' as a graphical representation or a
    >>> textual one
    >>>
    >>> Its along the lines of
    >>> http://this.is.not.a.link/but.looks.like.one
    >>> and
    >>> Mailto:
    >>>
    >>> The Smiley menu in the HTML Editor simply provides you with the
    >>> graphical results of some emotions, so instead of remembering the key
    >>> strokes to type, then, you can simply select one from the menu
    >>>

    >> In all the Netscape versions and in Mozilla 1.5 and 1.6 the smiley
    >> showed in the composer as a graphic. In 1.7 they show as text. Even
    >> smileys sent to me are in text when in previous versions they showed
    >> as graphics.

    > Enable them! <g>
    >
    > Mozilla-->Preferences-->Mail & Newsgroups-->Message Display
    >
    > X Display Emoticons as graphics

    Already done. They've been enabled since I started using 1.7. I even
    just checked again to be sure.

    GFRfan, Jul 23, 2004
  6. Michael B. Smith

    Moz Champion Guest

    GFRfan wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> GFRfan wrote:

    >>> In all the Netscape versions and in Mozilla 1.5 and 1.6 the smiley
    >>> showed in the composer as a graphic. In 1.7 they show as text. Even
    >>> smileys sent to me are in text when in previous versions they showed
    >>> as graphics.

    >> Enable them! <g>
    >>
    >> Mozilla-->Preferences-->Mail & Newsgroups-->Message Display
    >>
    >> X Display Emoticons as graphics
    >>

    > Already done. They've been enabled since I started using 1.7. I even
    > just checked again to be sure.

    Okay then

    :)

    the above should show as a smiley when using Mozilla 1.7 and emoticons
    are enabled

    If it doesnt, they lets check if its a profile problem
    Create a new profile as a test, and subscribe to this newsgroup and read
    the message, does it show as a graphic now?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jul 24, 2004
  7. Michael B. Smith

    GFRfan Guest

    GFRfan, Jul 25, 2004
  8. Michael B. Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Re: Mozilla mail: HTML and Smileys--- solved//

    GFRfan wrote:

    >>> Already done. They've been enabled since I started using 1.7. I even
    >>> just checked again to be sure.

    >> Okay then
    >>
    >> :)
    >>
    >> the above should show as a smiley when using Mozilla 1.7 and emoticons
    >> are enabled
    >>
    >> If it doesnt, they lets check if its a profile problem
    >> Create a new profile as a test, and subscribe to this newsgroup and
    >> read the message, does it show as a graphic now?

    OK, the smileys show in this profile. So all I have to do is use this
    profile?

    John Smith, Jul 25, 2004
  9. Michael B. Smith

    Moz Champion Guest

    John Smith wrote:

    >>> Okay then
    >>>
    >>> :)
    >>>
    >>> the above should show as a smiley when using Mozilla 1.7 and
    >>> emoticons are enabled
    >>>
    >>> If it doesnt, they lets check if its a profile problem
    >>> Create a new profile as a test, and subscribe to this newsgroup and
    >>> read the message, does it show as a graphic now?
    >>>

    > OK, the smileys show in this profile. So all I have to do is use this
    > profile?

    Essentially, yes. Obviously there is something amiss in the original
    profile that manifests itself as you being unable to view emoticon graphics

    You can transfer over all your data from one profile to the other tho,
    so its not as bad as it sounds. Please ask if you require assistance in
    this matter.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org